Why become a member? ×

2024 Gear Abstinence Thread

neepheid

I've had a great, super grown up idea!  Every time I'm tempted to buy some gear, I'll take the money I was going to spend on gear and chuck it into my mortgage as an overpayment instead.  Then I can't use that cash to buy gear and it stops burning a hole in my pocket and does something actually useful...

• Like 7

OK, I'm in, if only because we're planning on moving house this year and any spare cash will have to go towards that. Hopefully I'll manage a bit longer than I did last year (out before the end of January).

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Assume I’m still allowed to sell?

Sell away, it's all about the lack of gear coming in rather than what's going out the door.  Selling to someone participating in the thread would be a super wicked way of knocking out the competition :D

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

12 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Sell away, it's all about the lack of gear coming in rather than what's going out the door.  Selling to someone participating in the thread would be a super wicked way of knocking out the competition :D

So, let me get this straight……? 😆

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, neepheid said:

Depends what it is.  My thinking is if it's bass specific (bridge, pickups, tuners, neck, body, pickguard) then it's gear and you're out.  If it's not bass specific - wire, solder, pots, jack socket etc. then it's OK?  Eh, ultimately it's all a bit of fun so don't get too hung up on it.

I have already collected everything to build a rehearsal cab aside from paint. I think I shall give myself a pass.

Not buying any more ampy gadgets is the goal. Not buying any more basses should be no problem at all.

14 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

I have already collected everything to build a rehearsal cab aside from paint. I think I shall give myself a pass.

Not buying any more ampy gadgets is the goal. Not buying any more basses should be no problem at all.

Eh, paint isn't gear in my book.  Crack on :)

4 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

I may be missing feet. You wouldn't want my new cab to go around with no shoes would you?

That's a hardware store sundry household item.  I'm making a pedalboard and I'll need some form of anti-slip material for the bottom.  I'm not recusing myself for that, so I don't see why you should either.

• Like 1

I’m in this year from the perspective of spending ‘new’ money (baby daughter arrives in 2-3 weeks!!), but I’m not ruling out buying something after selling something……I’ve got a couple of ideas haha.

Si

I'm in. Again. Never made it past the finish line ever, don't think I've made it past summer ever actually. Summer gets me all giddy and my impulsiveness definitely reaches it's annual peak during those months.

I've never consciously realised this before so maybe I'm in with a shot this year. Maybe...