Why become a member? ×

2024 Gear Abstinence Thread

neepheid

40 minutes ago, tauzero said:

I still don't understand how on earth you could sell a Tecamp Puma 900. I trust that you have sold it to someone on BC that both you and I have recommended a Tecamp Puma 900 to (after all, they are the best amps in the world).

I fully intended to build my rig around the Puma but mere weeks after I got it, a Markbass combo became available locally at a stupidly low price that I could not ignore.  Sits perfectly on the Markbass New York 121 that I had started to build my rig with.  It also sounds great, and the combo suits me better (take the combo on its own to rehearsals, use the whole rig for gigs).  Puma got relegated to backup - and you know that amp is too good to sit around the house waiting for the offchance of an amp failure.  The new owner is delighted with it, and I'm delighted it's gone somewhere it'll see some action.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm teetering on the brink as I need a new wireless set up. The Lekato WS80s I've been using for a couple of years are playing up intermittently when a bandmate uses her set (different brand but visually the same unit and set to different frequencies) and I'm considering a 'replacement' (technically an upgrade as they'll be the 5.4Ghz ones). 

In my mind this is a replacement of a bit of kit that no longer works as intended, however a ruling would be appreciated before take the plunge. 😃

2 minutes ago, Franticsmurf said:

I'm teetering on the brink as I need a new wireless set up. The Lekato WS80s I've been using for a couple of years are playing up intermittently when a bandmate uses her set (different brand but visually the same unit and set to different frequencies) and I'm considering a 'replacement' (technically an upgrade as they'll be the 5.4Ghz ones). 

In my mind this is a replacement of a bit of kit that no longer works as intended, however a ruling would be appreciated before take the plunge. 😃

Well, if it's at a similar price point, the fact that it's 5.4GHz could be explained away by the natural advancement of technology.  You're not buying it on a whim, you've got a problem with your current gear, it's defective in the sense that it doesn't work in the context that you need it to.  I would be miffed if I was out because of this.  Hardcore folk might say, tough, wireless is a privilege not a right, back to cables you go etc, but maintaining the status quo is allowed.

It's a bye from me (unless you replace the Lekato with something significantly more expensive, then I might call shenanigans).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, neepheid said:

Well, if it's at a similar price point, the fact that it's 5.4GHz could be explained away by the natural advancement of technology.  You're not buying it on a whim, you've got a problem with your current gear, it's defective in the sense that it doesn't work in the context that you need it to.  I would be miffed if I was out because of this.  Hardcore folk might say, tough, wireless is a privilege not a right, back to cables you go etc, but maintaining the status quo is allowed.

It's a bye from me (unless you replace the Lekato with something significantly more expensive, then I might call shenanigans).

Thanks for your understanding interpretation. 🙂 I agree that wireless is a privilege but, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, the reason I first purchased a wireless system was that I went through a period of having to deal with drinks spillages (occasionally mine, but often other punters) and I liked the isolation it gave me.

I think the 5.4ghz is necessary as it should prevent any interference from my bandmate and the other guy in the band using a different brand of radio transmitter. I'll be replacing it with another Lekato.

I'll be making the purchase this afternoon and I will, of course, abide by the decision of the collective. But for the time being I am still in. Just. 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Richard R said:

You're definitely still in.

Especially if you want to ship me the old units as a bribe set for an extended review to test compatibility with other sets 😅

I'm sure something could be arranged once the new set arrives. I'm all for bribery research and the new kit knowledge it brings. 😀

• Like 1

After skirting the edges a few times, a very tatty MXR Bass Octave Deluxe came up on Ebay and as nobody wanted it first time round, I had it second time round. As it has the word "bass" in its name, I can't really evade the consequences by pretending it's for a different instrument. So, less pressure on me not to buy a Cort Space 😁

• Like 3