Why become a member? ×

Sadowsky ???

Roger Eve

14 hours ago, Roger Eve said:

Ok so tell me about Sadowsky basses. Best buy, Ones to avoid, Compare to, Faults, Best bits ?????

Not owned one yet (it's on the list) but I gather the first iteration of the Chinese-made Metro Express range (SME model nos.) can be problematic in terms of noisy electronics, plus they don't have the Sadowsky logo or Hipshot-style string retainers, so the headstocks look a bit naff. They are on sale for much cheapness at the moment at places like Guitar Guitar and Thomann.

I gather the newer ones (SMX model nos.) have addressed all these issues so I'm very keen to get my hands on one when I have the money available. Bass Direct have some of the new ones and have said they can order them in as required.

My thoughts, having owned in the past a 5 string NYC, and 5 string Tokyo model (a precursor to the original Metro series). Also played a few back to back at the Sadowsky showrooms in Brooklyn many moons ago, and various others NYC models over the years. Some have sounded great, others not so great.

I always missed a mid frequency control on the preamp. Maybe a Will Lee model would have worked better for me in that respect.

I've preferred the non-chambered bodies (all the later NYC models have chambered bodies to reduce weight), because they seemed, to my recollection, to feel more solid tonally and feel/balance wise when playing on the strap/knee.

If i were going to buy one now, I'd look to find a non-chambered NYC or early Metro /Tokyo basses, both can be found cheaper than the German made basses and will retain their value better IMO. And for what it's worth, buying a Chinese or German made one just wouldn't feel right to me. I'm not in marketing or PR, but i can't help but feel they have devalued their brand in recent years with those ventures.

Lastly, they were possibly the original "super jazz" brand, but there are so many other equally good options available.

Try a few, and buy the one that looks, feels and sounds the best to you.

• Like 2

Good instruments, definitely worth trying a Metro or NYC model if you are in the market for a modern active J type bass. 

I own an NYC and Metro (Japan), both from about 2009. The NYC is chambered, has five strings and has prettier woods. However both are fairly identical in terms of quality of fit and finish.

I have not tried a made in Germany (by Warwick) or made in China Metro Express and I am unlikely to do so given I already own two Sadowskys. The made in Germany Warwicks really should be exceptional instruments.

I won’t be selling mine, though equally I am not sure I would be willing to pay the current prices for the Masterbuilt instruments while Roger Sadowsky is still building instruments.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gwilym said:

Lastly, they were possibly the original "super jazz" brand, but there are so many other equally good options available.

I had been playing Warwick basses for many years up until about 15 years ago, when I started getting more blues type gigs and decided that I wanted a 'super jazz' that would work better with that genre.

Of course, what I wanted was a Sadowsky, but I couldn't afford one at the time. I bought and sold a few different basses until I got an Xotic active jazz. This rather cured me of the Sadowsky itch, because as great as I am sure they are, I couldn't see how much better they could be than an Xotic or a US Lakland, etc. 

• Like 1

My main is a NYC Satin Deluxe 5-21 from 2019, bought new from Mark at Bass Direct. It had something all my other basses didn't. Can't explain it - feels right, balances well, cuts through, makes me sound good. Never have to fight to get a good sound. It sounds amazing before you plug it in too! Probably something to do with the chambering and the tonewoods - it's more acoustic than any other basses I've owned. Liked it so much I eventually sold my Fodera & my USA Jazz as they just weren't getting played. Sure it's expensive and yes, there's plenty of other Marques out there that offer a similar/same experience. Playing a bass is a personal thing though, right? What's great to me, you might hate and vice versa. My advice - track one down and have a play and try as many others as you can for comparison. If you don't love it immediately, it's probably not for you.

Having said all that, I am interested and curious to try the Vincent Akkurat 5 and the Metropol 5 - they look like they could give a Sadowsky a run for its' money. Anyone got any experience here?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have 2 Japanese UV70's (A Black and a Natural - both with maple necks) love them both so much I haven't played my 61P, 66J or my 84 WAL out since I got the first one 8 years ago...I much prefer the tone, playability and overall general feeling of these. If you get the chance to play/buy a UV70....don't hesitate - after a few days the penny will drop and you'll be saying to yourself, why didn't I pull the trigger years ago......after all, it's what all the modern Super Jazz's have been moddled on for years

• Like 3

I bought a brand new Sadowsky RV5 back in 2010 direct from Sadowsky for £1650. Great bass.  They are ridiculous money now. I feel they are way over priced. Lakland Skyline do it just as well for half the price with better options.

• Like 2

I've had an early Japanese Metro UV70 5 string for nearly 20 years, and it's still my workhorse. It's been super reliable and solid. I have other basses but mostly play this one unless I need a P bass for the gig.

Edited by phagor
  • Like 3

I owned a NYC Sadowsky for a few years and enjoyed it. The fact that it was light weight, was a requirement for me. However the price they are selling for now is WAY over the top IMO. If I was buying a 'jazz' bass now, I would go for a Sire. My brother picked up a first generation model and I was knocked out by the finish, comfortable neck and excellent preamp. If had not been for the weight, I would have been quite happy to use it instead of the Sadowsky. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I recently bought a NOS 2016 Japanese Will Lee 4 string. Fit and finish-wise my Sire V5 and Skyline DJ4 can't touch it. The Sadowsky almost plays itself. Coupled with the preamp and VTC it's possible to dial in a range of useable sounds. Mine is the only Sadowsky I have played so I can't compare, but the Japanese basses appear to have a good reputation. Japanese basses can still be found new BTW, though depending on model they aren't exactly a bargain...

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

The wait is over!!!!!
Yes, it's the baby... no, it doesn't (yet) have the VTC preamp... buuuuuuuuut, after literally 5 minutes plugged in.... this is what I think...

There seems to be none of the fret end issues that I've read so much (and dreaded) about.
These are pretty much what I'd expect from a well set-up bass

The eq, set flat, is amazing! Let's just say that A/B'ed against my Cort, which has Delano pickups, the Sadowsky beats, nay, slays is!!!

It's lighter than both the Cort and my old model Ibanez BTB 6 (and that means tons to an old man like me)

I will go out on a limb and say this much...
I've played a Sadowsky only once before (in another life in South Africa back in 1999 or 2000) and it was a MIA top of the line 24 fret model, which blew my mind.... so I have almost nothing to base my impressions off... but what I just played is HUGELY better in feel and tone than the above mentioned Cort, a MM SUB, which also had Delanos (not painting a good picture for Delano, am I?), and probably sits nicely under previously owned MIJ, early 90's Yamaha TRBs (5&6) in terms of "wow, this is a great bass). I mean that... it's not just platitudes because it's "new bass day" for me, I really honestly mean that.

To Roger (thank you for the emails BTW), Sadowsky and Warwick, I say thank you!! This one is a keeper!

Julian Fairall aka Glassmoon

IMG-20240402-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20240402-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20240402-WA0005.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, glassmoon said:

The wait is over!!!!!
Yes, it's the baby... no, it doesn't (yet) have the VTC preamp... buuuuuuuuut, after literally 5 minutes plugged in.... this is what I think...

There seems to be none of the fret end issues that I've read so much (and dreaded) about.
These are pretty much what I'd expect from a well set-up bass

The eq, set flat, is amazing! Let's just say that A/B'ed against my Cort, which has Delano pickups, the Sadowsky beats, nay, slays is!!!

It's lighter than both the Cort and my old model Ibanez BTB 6 (and that means tons to an old man like me)

I will go out on a limb and say this much...
I've played a Sadowsky only once before (in another life in South Africa back in 1999 or 2000) and it was a MIA top of the line 24 fret model, which blew my mind.... so I have almost nothing to base my impressions off... but what I just played is HUGELY better in feel and tone than the above mentioned Cort, a MM SUB, which also had Delanos (not painting a good picture for Delano, am I?), and probably sits nicely under previously owned MIJ, early 90's Yamaha TRBs (5&6) in terms of "wow, this is a great bass). I mean that... it's not just platitudes because it's "new bass day" for me, I really honestly mean that.

To Roger (thank you for the emails BTW), Sadowsky and Warwick, I say thank you!! This one is a keeper!

Julian Fairall aka Glassmoon

IMG-20240402-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20240402-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20240402-WA0005.jpg

I see that it doesn't have the awful Tesco Metro decal, good stuff. It would still look way cooler with the proper decal though, but you know that already. I look forward to seeing that upgrade in die course. ;) 

3 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I see that it doesn't have the awful Tesco Metro decal, good stuff. It would still look way cooler with the proper decal though, but you know that already. I look forward to seeing that upgrade in die course. ;) 

Yeah, much happiness here when I saw it didn't have the TescoExpress decal LOL

I know where to go to get the Sadowsky one (even though my wife says not to be daft)... I will leave the round RSD decal on I think - it's still pretty cool.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, glassmoon said:

I will leave the round RSD decal on I think - it's still pretty cool.

Yeah, I don't think it will detract from the overall look with a Sadowsky logo also applied and you can always sand it off at a later date if you want to.

12 minutes ago, glassmoon said:

even though my wife says not to be daft

The look of a thing is very personal, she doesn't get it what's important to some of us bass players.

1 minute ago, ezbass said:

Yeah, I don't think it will detract from the overall look with a Sadowsky logo also applied and you can always sand it off at a later date if you want to.

The look of a thing is very personal, she doesn't get it what's important to some of us bass players.

Hahahahaha ... she and I have very different ideas of the aesthetics of a bass, but I think in this regard, this bass "needs" that Brand Logo!!!

• Like 1