Why become a member? ×

Prejudices When Choosing A Bass

Chienmortbb

2 hours ago, Owen said:

There are some DEEPLY weird headstocks out there. Someone has to design them. Some look as if they have been done in the dark.

Control plates which are wooden. What gives?

By the way, still better than headless.

W07-1454073180GZZEBOWW_5.jpg

murphyspuzzle2.jpg

th.jpeg-1,654.jpg

th.jpeg-1,653.jpg

denovo-headstock-2_380.png.jpg

th.jpeg-1,651.jpg

Edited by jd56hawk
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Truss adjustment hole at the headstock. No matter how god the bass, I automatically associate it with the worst of budget basses, and I won't touch it.

Yes, silly. But I can't help it.

My Wunkay is really hurt.  So are bullet truss rod Fenders.  And every Gibson ever made, but that hardly helps my argument ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, neepheid said:

No Jazz basses, end of discussion.

Not a huge fan of maple boards, especially if they're so pale that they look like they were photoshopped onto the bass in real life.

Anything else, let's talk.

I've never gotten on with Jazz Basses either, sound, shape, neck width, eurgh!

• Like 2

I will never buy a bass which has the following: 

- Gibson Three point bridge (okay, I have a Gibson 1974 EB3 I bought over twenty years ago but I wont buy another);

- short scale basses (see comment about Gibson EB3 above);

- pickup selectors on basses (see comment about Gibson EB3 above);

-  unbalanced neck heavy basses with strap buttons in the wrong places (see comment about Gibson EB3 above).

Damn.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I've never gotten on with Jazz Basses either, sound, shape, neck width, eurgh!

It's the twin single coils I do not like. No, you cannot make it sound like a Precision Bass. They also encourage slapping and self-indulgent playing.

• Like 3

Insofar as predjudices go, surely this is just another way of saying that you just have preferences for what actually appeals to you personally?

I prefer a black bass, although I own two non-black ones.  Don't particularly like the look of a maple fingerboard.  I'm drawn to Thunderbird and NR Thunderbird shapes/designs and in general I prefer twin pickup basses.  Unfussed about hardware colour thereon (anything works with black).  Headstockwise, I'm not a fan of the Fender shapes, my Lulls have reverse headstocks, the Hamers have the machines at the top.  

I think the Spector paddle-headstock would work with anything, which is why I'm probably so in love (still) with the Euro-X.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Insofar as predjudices go, surely this is just another way of saying that you just have preferences for what actually appeals to you personally?

I prefer a black bass, although I own two non-black ones.  Don't particularly like the look of a maple fingerboard.  I'm drawn to Thunderbird and NR Thunderbird shapes/designs and in general I prefer twin pickup basses.  Unfussed about hardware colour thereon (anything works with black).  Headstockwise, I'm not a fan of the Fender shapes, my Lulls have reverse headstocks, the Hamers have the machines at the top.  

I think the Spector paddle-headstock would work with anything, which is why I'm probably so in love (still) with the Euro-X.

One of my two black basses: non-maple board, T-birdish shape, twin-pickup, non-Fender shaped headstock. If you can wear 11.5lbs around your shoulder, it sounds wonderful. My chiropractor loves it.

IMG_0673.jpeg

• Like 2

for me - 

No Jazz basses

No MM style basses or pups

no J pups, except in certain circumstances

no Short scale

no Tort

At the mo it has to be no rosewood (although that is very likely to change! lol)

No active basses.

and I most definitely agree largely with the coffee table thing

Edited by dudewheresmybass
  • Like 1