Why become a member? ×

Great tracks - why are they great??

TheGreek

There will be differing opinions on what is a great track and why it's great. Nothing to do with genre either - great songs come from every genre, even if I don't like some of them.

There are artists who some think are great while others can't understand why that artist stands above others. Let's not have the "eye of the beholder" discussion.

Great tracks and why they are "great" please.

I say a little prayer - Aretha Franklin:

Well written song delivered faultlessly by somebody with a powerful and beautiful voice. Pitch perfect, even the high notes. Covered many times I would hazard but never bettered. An example for others to aim for.

I will always love you - Whitney Houston

Amazing song, written by Dolly Parton who said that she was blown away when she heard Whitney's version - "Yes it's my song but it's her record" - Dolly, huge star in her own right, said that she'd have loved to have been able to deliver the song in the same way. Another beautifully delivered song, again pitch perfect which Whitney was able to do live (YouTube is your friend). Dolly says it fits so many applications - not just for lovers - parent/ child, friends, etc.

• Like 3

Topics such as this will, every time, receive a tribute to the much-missed Sandy Denny B| ...

As a bonus, it's drumming like this that inspired me to take up drums, with that sly, discreet 'killer' whip on the hi-hat. Not much to fault with the Fairports of this epoch. :rWNVV2D:

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Amazing song, written by Dolly Parton who said that she was blown away when she heard Whitney's version - "Yes it's my song but it's her record" - Dolly, huge star in her own right, said that she'd have loved to have been able to deliver the song in the same way. Another beautifully delivered song, again pitch perfect which Whitney was able to do live (YouTube is your friend). Dolly says it fits so many applications - not just for lovers - parent/ child, friends, etc.

A pretty safe choice there. Whether you like the genre or not, or even if you don't like the song, one of the greatest vocal performances ever recorded...! 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, peteb said:

A pretty safe choice there. Whether you like the genre or not, or even if you don't like the song, one of the greatest vocal performances ever recorded...! 

Agree. Although I prefer Dolly Partons version as there’s a vulnerability to it that Whitney Houstons version doesn’t have, the latter is truly a vocal masterpiece.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dclaassen said:

Jackson Browne “The Load Out”…anthem for musicians everywhere.Makes me smile every time I hear it!

Just played that (thanks Spotify!). Great song - you can imagine it as the last encore and the road crew joining on stage to take  a bow.

14 hours ago, TheGreek said:

12 hours ago, peteb said:

It just goes to show how very different people are. 

I will always love you is one song which would have me running for the off button every single time. I could just about cope with Dolly's version, but Whitney's is screechy, over sung, overbearing and overplayed to death. 

Different horses and all that. For me one of the greatest songs ever recorded is Janie's Got a Gun by Aerosmith, and I highly doubt many people would agree with me. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Different horses and all that. For me one of the greatest songs ever recorded is Janie's Got a Gun by Aerosmith, and I highly doubt many people would agree with me. 

I don't agree that it's the greatest ever but I will listen to it more closely, good call! That's why I like these discussions, find something completely new or take a different perspective on something you thought you knew well.

Great thread @TheGreek

• Thanks 1

Like parts of the body, every ones got one and there all slightly different....but to be slightly serious. There is no diffinitive answer...best way I deal with it is to break it down to this. 

Why is it 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star' is such a phenomenaly amazing piece of music.  I mean its a bit silly, simple soppy, stupid even....but its iconic, and its iconic because it is very cleverly written to fit the genre it was written for.  In other words what ever you write has to work. It doesnt matter how daft or serious it is..it simply has to be well written for the genre. 

as the late, great, Reg Presley (of the Troggs) once observed, nobody knows, some songs just have the mythical magic dust sprinkled on them, if anyone knew what the secret was every track they wrote would be great,  even the greatest songwriters have written some turkeys, 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Yes, it's a really good track - but I thought that you didn't like 'screechy' and 'over sung'? 

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, dclaassen said:

Jackson Browne “The Load Out”…anthem for musicians everywhere.Makes me smile every time I hear it!

That falsetto by David Lindley in Stay always makes me smile. Saw them do that live a few times. Don’t forget Running on Empty on the same album. Another great song in my opinion. 

17 minutes ago, Cliff Edge said:

That falsetto by David Lindley in Stay always makes me smile. Saw them do that live a few times. Don’t forget Running on Empty on the same album. Another great song in my opinion. 

That whole album is amazing….

• Like 1