Why become a member? ×

Choosing Gig Bass

Bassman1974

A nice problem to have I guess..

We have a 1/2 hour slot tonight at a local charity gig, and I'm really struggling to choose a bass to play. 

*I'll be plugging direct into the PA.

*We've keys, drums and the guitarist uses a Strat

*There's a mix of 70's rock and slower stuff

*Choices are: MIA Precision / MIA Jazz / Ric 4003 / Vintage Hofner 500/1. I like them all in equal measure.

I do wonder if a Fender might be better as I'll be coming through the PA?

Cheers. It's maybe a silly question, but I'd like to get the sound just right.

Edited by Bassman1974
The usual grammar errors
  • Like 2

If you're going through the PA I'd go for the Jazz. It's more likely to be heard out front, as the other basses you mention can sound a bit muddy without a bit of EQ.

Edit: but that Ric does look great!

Edited by gjones
  • Like 1

P bass works for everything. If in doubt, it’s the only choice.

I never really believed that statement, until I saw Brand New Heavies live a few years ago. Andrew Levy was struggling to punch through the mix with various super jazz type basses. He glanced across to his tech mid song and said something. Tech comes out with his MIJ P bass….. BOOM……. there’s the sound. He stuck with it for the rest of the gig, much to the delight of the dancing crowd. Honestly….. a lot of people noticed the difference.

The Precision bass really is an amazing instrument.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Take them all, and swap basses at every song change. If possible have a 'tech' bring you the next bass between numbers, so that folk notice that you've swapped basses. Be a rock star. :sun_bespectacled:

I’ve got 3 gigging basses for 3 different tunings in our set. 

I don’t yet have a tech to bring me the next bass, but maybe one day 😆

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I'd be inclined to suggest the P Bass.

That said out of those options the Hofner, according to my personal preferences at least, would be likely to sound best going straight DI to the PA without any amp or cab emulator/sim. 

This might be obvious, but would be a good idea if you tried going DI at home or your band rehearsal space with all your basses before the gig, so you can decide for yourself which you think sounds best going straight DI.

This could be done if you own a set of studio grade headphones, which basically just means FRFR (Full Range Flat Response) headphones (regular "Hi-Fi" headphones will usually have certain frequencies boosted, especially bass, which would not really resemble what you would usually hear from a PA), or a set of studio monitors, which would also resemble the approximate FRFR of a typical PA (or of course if you got a PA system yourself or at the band rehearsal space).

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1