Why become a member? ×

With or without RAMP ?

nilorius

Like MacDaddy above, my basses have adjustable ramps that can be wound all the way down out the way if necessary. In fact, it was a design I put forward to Shuker along with the series 2 body shape that has been in production ever since. YAY! 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

Yes ramps!

21-39-21-38895029421_e4a899939e_c.jpg

I love how these encapsulate the pickups too, because, let's face it, black rectangles aren't that exciting! Let's put the engine under a tidy bonnet! :)

• Like 1

I had them on 2 prior basses (a GWB35 and a Roscoe Beck signature), I found them useful. I don’t have any basses with them now and can only surmise that what I liked about them, was the extended thumb rest, rather than the consistent depth under the strings.

1 hour ago, Dood said:

Like MacDaddy above, my basses have adjustable ramps that can be wound all the way down out the way if necessary. In fact, it was a design I put forward to Shuker along with the series 2 body shape that has been in production ever since. YAY! 

My Shuker's are based on the series 2 shape, but with the handle and a wider bulge at the bottom which better suits where my arm rests when I'm playing 🙂

• Like 2

I've got one on my Overwater 6, I like it for most playing but sometimes I feel like I'm not in the mood for it haha. Luckily it is removable. I had another removable one on my 72 Jazz but never got on with it sadly. 

I'm still sorta working on the learning curve of having one and its advantages.

8 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

Yes ramps!

21-39-21-38895029421_e4a899939e_c.jpg

What are the fretboard extensions above the zero fret for? Bendwell?

I've got an EHB1265MS which I haven't put the ramp on, and I've now taken the ramp off my Sei Flamboyant - it didn't seem to be of any benefit to me.

I have absolutely no use for a ramp as how I pluck the strings really is more so stroking the strings with the outmost tip of my fingers/nails in a slight inwards unforceful slapping motion, rather than really plucking, pulling or striking the strings.

I will never pluck the strings as deep as any ramp will go, and I don't have any issues controlling my plucking, and even if I did by the time my fingers would hit the ramp they would already be way too deep in compared to how I am supposed to pluck the strings, so it would still be of absolutely no use to me.

Finally I also utilizes floating thumb technique, so a ramp would be to no need as an bulgy oversized thumb anchor either.

Also in my honest opinion I think ramps look out of place and ugly.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

Stop innovation now!

It's an order!

Straying from hunter-gatherer culture was a mistake, and it all went horrible wrong from that point on in history!

Throw out your basses and go back to banging on logs with blanched bones and whistling in the dark at once!

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

I think that whatever makes your instrument feel better to you, like a ramp or anything else, is absolutely a great idea. I must admit to buying a fret wrap, but as someone who pounds the roots and rarely goes above the 12th fret (in a live situation at least) I rarely use it.

Just now, bassbiscuits said:

I literally have no idea what these ramps are - what are they used for?

Excuse my ignorance in these matters.

The stop fingers digging in too far. They can allow a more even attack. You kind of draw your finger across the surface of the ramp and the string is just in the way.

I tried them years ago when I discovered Billy Sheehan putting epoxy on his P pickups to make a ramp surface and I really liked them.

At about 3mins10secs you can see

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, bassbiscuits said:

If you play with your fingers over the pickup, you get used to the feeling of the pickup beneath your fingertips. If you move in front of the pickup or between pickups, there’s a big hole where there’s no plastic to stop you. A ramp fills that hole, and gives a consistent distance under the strings all the way across it.

• Thanks 3

6 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

They're used for extracting £££ from bassists that believe hype and nonsensical add-on products.

Think of all those bassists out there that use(d) their fingers.  Did Geddy Lee use a ramp?  Mick Karn?  Entwistle?  Bruce?  Flea?  Jamerson?  Kaye?  Jaco?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, NancyJohnson said:

They're used for extracting £££ from bassists that believe hype and nonsensical add-on products.

Think of all those bassists out there that use(d) their fingers.  Did Geddy Lee use a ramp?  Mick Karn?  Entwistle?  Bruce?  Flea?  Jamerson?  Kaye?  Jaco?  

I’ve managed 37 years without one so far…

• Like 1