Why become a member? ×

Basschat Marketplace

TheGreek

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

No it isn't. 

If I buy a vintage Fender for £500 is that it's value or it's price?

If I sell it the following day for 10 times as much how did the value suddenly jump 10x?

I'm fed up hearing "it's worth what it sells for " - never heard of a bargain or being overcharged?

£500 is its price.

I think there is a bit of confusion here about fixed price items/bargains that are occasionally out there to be had.

A better take on ‘true value’, whatever that is, is what it might go for at a professional musical instrument auction.

That’s where the market at any given time would give a truer representation of it’s value.

• Like 2

When I joined Basschat in 2010 , the marketplace was a veritable free for all with instruments seemingly flying off the shelves ( and sometimes being relisted soon after) 

I remember fondly the starwalds of the marketplace ( Clarky / Beedster / Bouvier / Chilliwailer ) and many others who I apologise for not mentioning .

Interest rates were low , the economy was doing OK , the world was at relative peace .

Fast forward to today , we’ve been through the Pandemic / Ukraine war / Liz Truss / interest rate hikes / cost of living Crisis , I guess most of us are feeling a little less secure and less inclined to spend money on what are essentially luxuries and focus on the more important financial commitments to keep our heads above the water 

• Like 2

Compared to this time last year my outgoings have increased by somewhere in the order of £1300 per month. That's a Stingray per month I can now not afford, and I couldn't afford that last year either! Thank god I'm merely a figment of my own imagination otherwise I'd start getting all depressed and what not. 

10 hours ago, DJpullchord said:

It’ll take many of us years to recover from the financial problems Covid dished up. No furlough or any meaningful help from the government. Tories eh.

Don’t want to get political but £400 billion or around £6000 per head was spent by the government (including around £70 billion on furlough). There was colossal waste and mismanagement but to say that there was no help is a little misleading.

Covid-19: How much has it cost?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-60924286

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, tegs07 said:

Don’t want to get political but £400 billion or around £6000 per head was spent by the government (including around £70 billion on furlough). There was colossal waste and mismanagement but to say that there was no help is a little misleading.

It's also a little bit misleading t give a national average; many folk had no help or furlough money at all. Just sayine'. -_-

28 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

It's also a little bit misleading t give a national average; many folk had no help or furlough money at all. Just sayine'. -_-

The link goes into some detailed critiques and further reading for those that are interested. The breakdown I gave is just a soundbite from the BBC.

Edited by tegs07

21 hours ago, ped said:

Look at 70s Fenders - they haven't changed, but the price has gone up because sellers are asking for more, people buy them and feel they have done well, perception of the 70s period changes somewhat because it's driven by new enthusiasts who have literally invested in it...

Aah, to be old enough to remember when discussions about Fender's 70s QC always achieved consensus that a high percentage of their basses were dogs.  Not the dogs.  Now they're considered vintage.

• Like 2

Just now, NancyJohnson said:

Aah, to be old enough to remember when discussions about Fender's 70s QC always achieved consensus that a high percentage of their basses were dogs.  Not the dogs.  Now they're considered vintage.

Is it possible that the instruments that have survived 5 decades without being parted out, destroyed etc were the good ones? Fender churn out a massive number of instruments every year but there are not that many 50+ year old ones available.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Probably are still dogs but are now considered valuable dogs. Once the cost thing gets into your head it starts changing how you perceive things and I guess it has the advantage if you know that if you want to change it, you can get more money than you bought it for it can be worth trying

Sure there are some good 70s ones, but I don't think it matters as much now they have value. 

Funny, looks like almost nobody reads the bottom of a page or the previous one...

And we could say the same about vintage 60's or 70's Japanese instruments, total crap back in the day, most of them made out of plywood and now highly regarded. 🤦🏻‍♂️

I agree that from the 80's on these Japanese instruments are top quality models better than their American counterparts, but before, come on ... be honest.

I expect most of the 70s "dogs" have been worked on and the issues they left the factory with have been addressed and resolved. 

TBH they should never have left the factory - affected the Fender reputation and left the door open for other manufacturers to get their foot in the door. 

Not sure but I'd hazard that this was the time when smaller, independent builders came into their own .

Completely agree with the original post. Great basses on here, but anything north of about £700 seems to be on here for an age. Not a great time to sell basses by the looks of it. Ive got one on marketplace at the moment, but I honestly think I'll be better off keeping hold of it till a better time - hopefully it will appreciate.

Or I could (gulp) relic it so it's a bit more to my taste!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, tegs07 said:

No help for many of us.

7 minutes ago, DJpullchord said:

No help for many of us.

Indeed. I didn’t get a penny and worked throughout but know colleagues and business owners that were kept afloat by it.

Ask 10 different people about Covid and get 10 different responses. They locked down too late, they shouldn’t have locked down, they protected the elderly at the expense of the young. They killed the elderly by moving them from hospital wards to care homes. They provided vaccines for all, they forced vaccines on everyone for a fake pandemic etc

Edit: One thing is for sure it cost a fortune, there were some massive c0ck ups and we will be paying for it for years.

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 1