Why become a member? ×

Cory Wong live set (with new bassist)

toneknob

I saw Cory Wong and band last night at Hammersmith Odeon. Sonny T isn't on the tour but the story is that the new guy Vincen Garcia stepped in with 48 hours notice when Sonny T pulled out. Previously Vincen had DM'd Cory Wong saying "let me know if you ever need a bassist in Europe". CW sent him a 50-song playlist, his tour manager's phone number and said "see you in Stockholm in two days". Here's the set from a few days ago in Brussels (Dean Town is the last song if you want to fast forward)

• Like 12

28 minutes ago, chris_b said:

As you would expect, a fantastic gig and a great break for Vincen, but 48 hours? Really?

Yes, taking the story presented by OP for face value it does seem like an awfully short notice to both catch up on the set list and travel to the location of the show, and frankly a bit of a shitty move.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Yes, taking the story presented by OP for face value it does seem like an awfully short notice to both catch up on the set list and travel to the location of the show, and frankly a bit of a shitty move.

For someone to walk away from a planned tour with a band they've been gigging with for so long at such short notice suggests something more 'unavoidable' than 'shitty'.

• Like 5

If the last few years of social media have taught us anything, it’s a good idea to keep our opinions to ourselves unless we have a command of all the facts. 

The one positive is that everyone who bought tickets gets to enjoy a show. 2 hours of joyless jazz funk isn’t my bag, but if it’s yours I reckon there’s no better purveyor.

• Haha 1

In the intro for Vincen Garcia, 48 hours is what CW said as the heads up time. It'll be interesting to see how the same story is presented in Manchester and Glasgow over the next few days. Report in Team Basschat! 

As for Sonny T, apparently "something came up", nothing more specific than that. 

Meanwhile, given that as recently as three weeks before the tour, CW himself "took a tumble" (his words) and injured both legs and an arm, it's a miracle the shows are happening at all. 

• Like 1

That's a helluva lot of fairly complex material to learn in just 48 hours, so maybe the truth is he had a tip off about the possibility of getting this gig a few weeks prior, but only finally confirmed 48 hours before the first gig.

And if he really only had 48 hours to learn that much material then the guy is clearly superhuman............😲

• Like 2

Same story presented at Birmingham. Strikes me Vincen is the kind of professional player who’d have the habit of learning peoples material anyway for the study, and if he’s messaging Cory in the past he’s I doubt he’s just fired it off at random. 

Regardless of the schtick, he’s one helluva player and the evening was far from joyless, the band were savage from start to finish. (Support band woeful but that’s another story!)

2140d786-bc7c-4fc9-aa06-f4f5fa26e53e.jpeg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, scalpy said:

Same story presented at Birmingham. Strikes me Vincen is the kind of professional player who’d have the habit of learning peoples material anyway for the study, and if he’s messaging Cory in the past he’s I doubt he’s just fired it off at random. 

Regardless of the schtick, he’s one helluva player and the evening was far from joyless, the band were savage from start to finish. (Support band woeful but that’s another story!)

Was tempted to go myself but had prior commitment that night. Glad it was a great gig

• Like 2

On 14/10/2023 at 06:56, scalpy said:

It seems to me that, based on the fact that he’s a monster player, and playing funk music is literally his job, it doesn’t surprise me he nailed it very quickly.

I like Cory Wong, it’s good fun and impeccably executed, but it also seems about 30% chops/hits/sparkle & 70% grooving around 3 or 4 chords. So again, no surprise a player as good as Vincen smashed it IMO.

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/11/2023 at 11:25, Owen said:

I have their Belgian show on in the background. MUCH respect to Vincent.

I didn’t realise they streamed it on YT. Great show, and Vincent did great. How anyone has the stamina to play 16th funk lines for an hour 1/2 and then end of Dean Town is beyond me, especially considering it was short notice. There isn’t many changes to learn, but there’s quite a few unison sections which he was in sync with. Didn’t like the tone, I don’t think the Yamaha had its own space in the mix but what a player. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Vincen is a professional bass player and teacher from Spain with a lot of experience. In an interview with Miki Santamaria said that he learned Cory's set list during the summer to analyze it and for practice. The interview in Spanish is here 

Edited by Golix
Typo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Golix said:

Vincen is a professional bass player and teacher from Spain with a lot of experience. In an interview with Miki Santamaria said that he learned Cory's set list during the summer to analyze it and for practice.

That explains it.