Why become a member? ×

Attempting the best bassline played by Maggie Philbin ...

For those of you of a certain vintage that grew up in the UK, then you will remember the Saturday morning kids programme, Swap Shop. Some of you might even possibly remember that the three presenters, Noel Edmonds, Keith Chegwin and Maggie Philbin released a single, I Wanna Be A Winner, under the name, Brown Sauce. It was a top 20 hit in the charts. 

So my band, Vantage Point has released a cover of it, which meant I had a go at playing the bass line that Maggie put down all those years ago.

You can remind yourself on Maggie on her Rickenbacker here -

While the cover can be heard on the digital platform of your choice. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Strawbs664 said:

I think Cheggers was the musical brains behind this. I read his book ages ago & he had his own studio & recorded a lot of music for ads & TV shows etc.

Nice cover BTW!

Written by BA Robertson and none of them played the instruments. 

• Like 2

Yeah BA Robertson is credited with writing the song along with Edmonds, I'm assuming Noel would have given a hand with the lyrics as opposed to the music. I haven't seen anywhere who played on the recording, on Robertson's wiki entry it says along with writing it he contributed backing vocals. He also wrote the theme for Swap Shop which was on the b-side of the single, which I quite like, particularly the guitar solo.

OMG - I recall this going out on TV at the time, but had forgotten about it until now. 

I remember watching Swap Shop all too well.... and thinking it was the best thing since Double Deckers! Lol. Also, used to quite fancy Maggie Philbin - all too predictably

• Like 2

Right. I'm going to have a good listen to Initial Success. I loved that album and my mum really disapproved of it. So think the 55 year old version of the 14 year old me would really like to see what was so bad about it.

In any case it'll be research as to whether he employed the same musicians. 😆

1 minute ago, Marc S said:

OMG - I recall this going out on TV at the time, but had forgotten about it until now. 

I remember watching Swap Shop all too well.... and thinking it was the best thing since Double Deckers! Lol. Also, used to quite fancy Maggie Philbin - all too predictably

That, and TISWAS were Saturday mornings. I remember doing a paper round with a massive hangover. Getting back. Eating a bowl of coco pops and sleeping with it in the background until the world came back into focus. 

Unless it was rugby season, in which case 16 year old drunk kids would be beating each other senseless in the cold instead...

Ah the 80s...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, vantagepointrocks said:

For those of you of a certain vintage that grew up in the UK, then you will remember the Saturday morning kids programme, Swap Shop. Some of you might even possibly remember that the three presenters, Noel Edmonds, Keith Chegwin and Maggie Philbin released a single, I Wanna Be A Winner, under the name, Brown Sauce. It was a top 20 hit in the charts. 

So my band, Vantage Point has released a cover of it, which meant I had a go at playing the bass line that Maggie put down all those years ago.

You can remind yourself on Maggie on her Rickenbacker here -

While the cover can be heard on the digital platform of your choice. 

I had no recollection of this when it started until "See one, feel one, touch one" and I instantly remembered the next line "win an award", and the subsequent riff. Which demonstrates that the important thing in pop is a great hook.

I do like your cover version. This would be a fun one live!  Although nobody under 55 would get the references you can get everyone singing the chorus, and change the verses around depending on what's topical. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/10/2023 at 00:02, Marc S said:

I have (to give it its full title), Here Come The Double Deckers on DVD.  It's a wonderful thing.

Pretty frightening to think that Peter Firth, who played Scooper, was 70 yesterday.

I remember Maggie was also on Tommorow’s World. The first band I played in appeared on ‘Sky Star Search’ which was presented by Cheggers who was really nice and did his best to settle our nerves. Barbara Windsor was one of the judges and I feel honoured to have met such a legend. We got pipped into second place by a sax playing comedian in a wheelchair!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 28/10/2023 at 09:48, Doctor J said:

I hope the poor chap who modelled for the trophy didn't have to endure what looks like a very unpleasant skewering.

The trophy is based on the cover of our first album, Daredevil on the Shore. The artist usually puts the chap from it into our covers in some form or another.

On 07/10/2023 at 00:02, Marc S said:

Also, used to quite fancy Maggie Philbin - all too predictably

So did I! Later on in life (much) I spent a rather pleasant evening sharing a beanbag with her while watching a solo bass gig by Steve Lawson. She was quite a lovely person to chat to.

• Like 3