Why become a member? ×

U2 at the The Sphere Las Vegas

kevin_lindsay

Size aside, the tech behind the visuals has been in place for quite a while.  In simplistic terms, capture is done digitally or on a large format wet film (ie IMAX) using a single or multiple fish-eye lens(es).  The image, when displayed on a spherical canvas plays back without any wide-angle aberration.  Simple, but very clever.

Pity it's U2.

• Like 2

I posted in the Geddy Lee thread about the change in gigs being more towards the visuals. People now spend so much time in front of screens, CGI films, computer games and listening to enhanced production values within music with auto tune and multi track overdubs that people no longer know what 3/4 men sound or look like. 

But then watch on 3 inch screens and minute speakers. 😆

What does a U2 gig cost to see now?

Wondering if I should have seen them in the 80s when I had the chance to see 4 blokes dressed in black. 😆

Although the rate bands are having splits and members dying perhaps U2 should be a band I go to see. (Another thread?) to say I saw them, 

1 hour ago, TimR said:

Wondering if I should have seen them in the 80s when I had the chance to see 4 blokes dressed in black

I saw 'em twice in the 80s, once on the October tour, where they were pretty good, then in 85 or 86, when Bono acted like the Messiah himself ("every time I clap my hands, another child dies" "Then stop $£*&in' clappin'!" etc), which was rather irritating. We all knew he was just a very naughty boy!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TimR said:

I posted in the Geddy Lee thread about the change in gigs being more towards the visuals. People now spend so much time in front of screens, CGI films, computer games and listening to enhanced production values within music with auto tune and multi track overdubs that people no longer know what 3/4 men sound or look like. 

But then watch on 3 inch screens and minute speakers. 😆

What does a U2 gig cost to see now?

Wondering if I should have seen them in the 80s when I had the chance to see 4 blokes dressed in black. 😆

Although the rate bands are having splits and members dying perhaps U2 should be a band I go to see. (Another thread?) to say I saw them, 

I couldn't read and run , but I'm still traumatised by the vacuous st.Bono  who destroyed the  gig I saw them at Twickenham on the vertigo tour .  He single-handedly changed an okay rock/ pop gig into a telethon telling us all to ' make a difference' and a text no was

shown all round the stadium . Telling us all to co-exist while wearing some graffiti like bedsheet on his head in a pope like manner. 

What caught my eye here , is you wondering about the potential cost of their next mission/tour l

I paid £75 from the ballot from Twickenham Rugby Association .  I only went because one of my friends wanted to go, and crash over at mine as I lived not too far from the rugby ground at the time . 
Never ever again ! I can't listen to them now at all . I did think ( ironically ) that the October album was their best .

That was the second time , as I saw them at Wembley on the Joshua tree tour previously . That was okay. Lou Reed was abysmal ,and Shane McGowans popes were imho the best band of the day . 
I think that you had a lucky escape not seeing them when I did that's for sure . 
with all his virtual signalling , and tax avoidance maybe they are best paying you for the privilege 😬

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

As visually incredible as it all looks, it’d be sensory overload for me and I’d have the worst migraine ever inside 10 minutes, and that’s without factoring in that it’s U2. I just don’t know with all of that going on if I could actually tell you if the band had been any good and/or entertaining at the end. But then, maybe that’s part of the point?

A small ‘spit and sawdust’ venue with a band playing and living and dying by the simple sword of ‘just’ being up there playing to a room will always be more my thing. It is true though that, in recent years, tours and concerts (by the bigger bands at least, see also the bigger festivals) are being marketed far more as an experience and an aspirational lifestyle thing rather than ‘a gig’. 

So yeah, not my bag but that’s OK!

• Like 6

It's fine if you watch the visuals with the sound at zero and put some decent music on in the background. The shot of the pinkish mountains reminds me of the cover of Amber by Autechre. Incidentally i had Silverside off that album as my choice of accompanying music and it works well

image.png.5f780fe60cef7c89ee44fa1923a74574.png

Edited by Barking Spiders

Stunning visuals and why not if you can afford to do it... and I'm sure they can! Also interesting is the lack of on stage amps & sparse monitoring, very clean. Complete with a perspex cage for the drummer!

Love or loath U2, they don't take their audience for granted. Can't believe how many people are watching through their phones!

Edited by Boodang
  • Like 1

On 01/10/2023 at 15:31, TimR said:

I always loved mid-period U2 and I am always bemused at the hate they get from some people (especially that directed at Bono – a rock and roll star with an ego, who would have thought) despite being one of the best loved bands ever.

I remember going to see that IMAX film of them playing to a ridiculously huge audience somewhere in South America, just a brilliant gig. A mate of mine who didn’t like them was dragged along by his then girlfriend – even he had to admit they had just one massive anthem after another and a connection with a crowd that hardly any other band has been able to manage. No offence to bands like Tool, but there is no way they could pull a gig off on that scale and with that reach to such a diverse audience.

The trouble is that on the evidence of that clip is that they’re finished, no matter how good the visuals are. Bono’s voice has gone and so has the energy they used to have. They are reduced to mega money gigs in Vegas to play to people who, like you said, just want to be able to say that they’ve seen them. A sad end to a great band.  

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

I’ve never understood the flak U2 get either.  

The Joshua Tree is one of my favourite records ever, and they’ve written more than their fair share of top tunes that most bands would kill for.

They’ve also been right at the forefront of pioneering the whole audio/multimedia experience a lot of acts pretty much use as standard now. 

I realise Bono isn’t everyone’s cup of tea and judging by that video his voice isn’t able to do those songs justice anymore but to deny the impact they’ve had or the great songs they’ve written is just blind. 

Edited by Bassybert
  • Like 3

U2 have been finished for quite some time. They are following the Rolling Stones "continue forever" career path. All the best work is done before 31 or so. Get to 40. No album will have more than 3 good songs on it. The rest is dreck. Anything after 50 and the albums are mainly miss as they are devoid of soul, content or even meaning. Quite often a truly spectacular turkey is pulled out of the oven.

They effectively tanked their career totally with No Line On the Horizon which may very well be their worst album.

Bono's voice is gone and I would say it has been for at least a decade. Bet he's wishing he never took up smoking 30 years ago now. Hearing their new single, I just couldn't believe how rubbish it was. It was the sort of "Snow Patrol knock off U2" that would be discounted for not being very good.

The fact that they did "U2 do U2 covers album" or "lower the keys of the songs until Bono can mumble them" depending on ones viewpoint.

A pitiful end.

• Like 1

My take on U2 is that when they came out there were many better bands of a similar ilk who were more deserving of greater success than they actually had but U2 struck lucky somehow. A lot of the flak they get is down to Bono i.e. his political posturing, his shades and his holier than thou attitude which doesn't match his lifestyle. Hypocrisy rankles. Then there are guitar players who object to the Edge being rated saying all he does is manipulate sound with effects. Then there's Adam Clayton. Say no more.  Like so many other bands maybe they'd get less contempt if they'd bowed out while they were still under 40 and at the top of their game.

I saw U2 way back in the early 80s before their massiveness happened, used to quite like them back then, up until Pride really, didn’t like The Joshua Tree stuff at all when it came out but do like it now (note to self, buy it). Since then they’ve done some great songs but what I’ve learned is that in general I might like said great song but have been disappointed with the album it’s on. 

Any band would find it hard to compete with the visuals in a venue like that and U2 look like 4 ants on that stage. It would almost be worth the ticket price (which I'm sure was insane) just to see the show, above and all around you, and forget about the band.