Why become a member? ×

HPF thoughts ?

dmccombe7

I haven't tried the Broughton, but I have a Vong Filterung on my board and it is excellent - as well as the HPF it has a LPF (switchable on the toggle) and a DI out. You can set the frequencies for both the H&LPFs, and you can toggle polarity should you ever need to. It's really handy as the last pedal in the chain.

• Like 2

I use a Micro Thumpinator. What is really noticeable is that I do a few gigs with a Fender Rumble 100. The HPF focusses all the power where you want it and stops the drivers from getting an absolute battering for no reason. As a result I get loads of volume out of this little amp without driver distortion or flappiness. I also use it with bigger setups to good effect. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, BillyBass said:

Or you could promote the Scottish economy and buy one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175805626444

I have one.  24db/octave reduction, variable frequency cut off, operated by a stomp (though I leave mine as a permanent on at about 35Hz)

That looks interesting. I'll look into that a bit more.

Dave

• Like 2

I'm very happy with mine.  Ordered off Ebay, arrived a day later!  Just what I wanted: an HPF in pedal format with decent cut (I wanted more than 12db) and a variable frequency cut off.

I have a micro thumpinator, which is quite a bit dearer and has much less functionality (but apparently is a 36db cut off).  Mine doesn't work, so I'm not a fan, though I haven't heard anyone else complaining of faulty microthumpinators, so I'll give SFX sound the benefit of the doubt.

1 hour ago, BillyBass said:

I have one.  24db/octave reduction, variable frequency cut off, operated by a stomp (though I leave mine as a permanent on at about 35Hz)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?item=175805626444&rt=nc&_trksid=p4429486.m3561.l2562&_ssn=sine-effect

The builder has options!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BillyBass said:

I've got one of these on my shopping list.  I looked at the Micro Thumpinator and the Broughton but this looks like it might be the one that gives me what I want.  I need to hang on until pay day, but I'm definitely very keen.

• Like 1

I've been considering an HPF after chatting with the sound engineer with the band I'm in. With this lot I go straight into the desk and through the PA with in ear monitors and I like the sound he's got. He showed me the EQ on my channel and it includes a quite drastic HPF set at about 35hz. As I'm working on another band project that won't be using FOH only sound, an HPF seems sensible. Up until about 10 minutes ago, I was searching for a Thumpinator. Now I'm going to give the Sine a go. 

• Like 1

I've got one that I built from online schematics - works great and makes a massive difference to how far my speaker jumps whenever I fire up my octave pedal. Not a very scientific conclusion, but it means that I can get more efficiency from my amp.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

Remember that a lot of digital devices and Class D amps have a built-in high pass filter, so depending on what else is in your signal chain you might not need a dedicated device.

I didn't know that. Currently using an Ampeg SVT7 Pro. Do you know if that has one. Have to admit i've not experienced any low end boom with it but then again i'm more a turn the bass EQ back a bit and turn up my volume to compensate.

Think i'll maybe trial the amp and Mesa subway cabs a bit longer and see how i get on.

I also use a Gramma pad every gig now which has considerably reduced stage boom on wooden or raised stage.

Dave

Essential tool for recording, there's so much LF in signals that don't get translated by anything other than the top full range monitor systems, guitars, keys, loops, proximity effect on vocals, it's not just basses that need them.

I have a very capable LF extension system on my monitors and I can hear the differences in mixes where LPF's haven't been employed properly.

I don't; see live as being any different and a lot of live engineers will use general LPFs on a lot of inputs.

• Like 1

I owned the Broughton HPF and LPF pedal (https://www.broughtonaudio.com/product-page/low-high-pass-filter) which is a great bit of kit however the setting numbers can be difficult to see on stage. I only sold mine because my amp has both filters built in. There is a cheaper option of a Broughton HPF only pedal that is decent value for money. 

• Like 1

Never owned a dedicated HPF pedal but always HP'd on my various multifx over the years. It just makes sense. Can't say for certain that it makes a big difference cos I've never properly A/B'd it but I also can't say I've ever really had a problem with boomy stages for the past decade or so and I'm always always happy with the sound I make... they all might be related to the HPF

• Like 1

On 26/09/2023 at 17:56, NHM said:

I haven't tried the Broughton, but I have a Vong Filterung on my board and it is excellent - as well as the HPF it has a LPF (switchable on the toggle) and a DI out. You can set the frequencies for both the H&LPFs, and you can toggle polarity should you ever need to. It's really handy as the last pedal in the chain.

The Vong is really useful, I've used it both with my double bass to clean things up and tame feedback, and with electric bass to make my Superfuzz clone tolerable into a DI.

But I think Schalltechnik has stopped doing them, so it may not be easy to get hold of one.

• Like 2