Why become a member? ×

Rigger Gloves

TimR

How many of us wear gloves while setting up at gigs? 

Never gave it a thought until about 15 years ago I met a guitarist who said I should be wearing them to load in. 

Since then I've had numerous finger and hand nips from hands between speaker cabs and door frames, and the awful moment when the speaker or lighting stand slides down while your still trying to get the pin in having pushed the pole up with the speaker/lights already on it. 😆

None of them stopped me playing but each time I've done it, I've thought - idiot!

Anyway - a pair now reside permanently in the boot of my car although I seem to be at the tip more regularly than gigs at the moment. 

£2-3 well spent at the local hardware store. 

• Like 3

Back in the 90s I played a band that had a lot of heavy flight-cased gear that had to loaded in an out of the venues we played and often stacked in creative ways to fit everything in the smaller stage areas. I always wore gloves while shifting the gear about and they only got taken off once everything was in place and we were ready to start cabling.

These days the bands I play with have mostly ditched the heavy gear. The most unwieldy and heavy items are the drummer's hardware case in one band and the synth player's keyboard stand in the other. Both are in proper cases with decent handles, so I haven't bothered with the gloves recently. Having said that it might be time to reconsider.

• Like 1

@Silvia Bluejay always wears gloves when setting up & breaking down, and tells me - quite rightly - that I should do the same.

Trouble is, I just find it a bit of a faff so I never bother. I have rigger gloves in the car so that's not the issue; it's actually putting the bloody things on that's the issue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yep, I have Portwest gloves.  We have vans with rolling flight cases etc and the gloves prevent nips and splinters.  Also just keeps your hands cleaner when coiling PA cables which have been on dirty floors and/or stood on all night.

• Like 2

Latex gloves are essential when murdering the guitarist, to avoid leaving fingerprints. Depending on the method of dispatch, a full biohazard suit may be preferable for bludgeoning and stabbing, whereas simple strangulation whether manual or by ligature should only need the gloves.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, tauzero said:

Latex gloves are essential when murdering the guitarist, to avoid leaving fingerprints. Depending on the method of dispatch, a full biohazard suit may be preferable for bludgeoning and stabbing, whereas simple strangulation whether manual or by ligature should only need the gloves.

Only as long as you dispose of the gloves correctly...
http://www.iowaiai.org/latent-fingerprints-on-latex-gloves/

• Like 1

Here’s how it was done in the 80s. Mullet? Check. Short shorts (with integral underpant lining)? Check.  Risk assessment and safe system of work? Hmmm.  There are some gloves though (and a pair of sandals). 

Interesting technique at the 8min mark…

Edited by JJTee
  • Like 1