Why become a member? ×

Plucking Fingers - more attack

BassAdder60

3 hours ago, Paulhauser said:

I would recommend putting a distortion / overdrive pedal into the signal path which is capable of blending the clean signal with the overdriven. Like the EBS Billy Sheehan for example or some Darkglass pedals. 

I would add just a little bit of grit to the sound, just a tiny bit on the top of the clean signal but it makes wonders.

I have been a fingerstyle player for a long time and had almost exactly the same problem as you have. Never liked distorted bass sounds but when I got an EBS BS Drive it solved it for me, partly because of its built in compressor just works well plus the whole thing is really sensitive to attack and you can play with the dynamics.

Again, the aim was not to make a distorted sound at all but to bring out more attack without actually having to play harder on the strings (I play soft)

I don't know if that makes sense but worked really well for me. 

I’ve just ordered the EBS BS ultimate pedal to try and I’m liking the reviews etc 

It does have some great features too 

Whats the compressor like as I could take my Ampeg Opto comp off if it’s ok ??

Edited by BassAdder60

Distortion/drive will definitely help, as will a slower attack time on your compressor as others have suggested, although I also find that an LA2A style opto set to limit rather than compress makes the bass sit right up front.

This is an old vid from a while back, tracking in Monkey Puzzle, RotoSound Swing bass rounds, LA2A Limiter and a bit of filth from the Ampeg STV model in the old Line6 Pod XT Pro. Add the aggressive striking of the stings to get the clank and it cuts well.

Sorry about the ropey playing.

8 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

Whats the compressor like as I could take my Ampeg Opto comp off if it’s ok ??

That's something you have to try and see if works for yourself as it is not the most sophisticated one with just an off-mid-high settings (eventhough there are trimpots inside so you can change the threshold and comp level for the mid setting)

I never tried the new one (utimate) only the original purple but that worked for me just fine. 

I adjust the angle of my fingers, usually, for more straight or faster sections I have the tips of my fingers vertical over the point of the string I am plucking.  When I want growl or harder attack I turn my fingernails more towards the neck and hit slightly harder, usually leading with the middle finger.  This works for me, I'm sure I got this tip from watching a Bryan Beller interview on youtube somewhere.

jonny

The recent SBL Geddy Lee vid that was posted elsewhere talked a bit about the "clank" you get from moving your plucking position closer to the neck. If you watch vids of early Geezer, Geddy & the Ox, they all play closer to the neck. Always thought it gave a more "plummy" sound, almost double bass-ish, but if you play a bit harder, it does have that bit more of an attack.

Another thing I've noticed is that you can get a bit more of an attack by using the side of your fingers rather than the tips. If you angle your hand a touch toward the neck from where you anchor your thumb, you can change which part of the finger plucks the string. Works for me.

• Like 3

Playing at the neck gives more movement of the string to get that clank sound from the frets i reckon.

I once read  that angling your hand towards the neck and using the side of your fingers gives you that Double Bass tone.

The more i analyse my own style I find when playing harder i tend to pluck the string across and slightly upwards from the body and for normal playing i play across but slightly down towards the body. I'm deliberately trying to play lighter to stop blistering and sore fingertips mainly because i'm now playing a lot more regularly.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

Grow your plucking nails a bit. Maybe superglue on the ends of your fingers?

To my mind getting more attack is a bit different from getting clank. I like a bit of clank but in some settings it can be a bit obtrusive. I’m working on my technique/set up to try and moderate my clank in certain settings.

On 04/08/2023 at 07:45, Skybone said:

The recent SBL Geddy Lee vid that was posted elsewhere talked a bit about the "clank" you get from moving your plucking position closer to the neck. If you watch vids of early Geezer, Geddy & the Ox, they all play closer to the neck. Always thought it gave a more "plummy" sound, almost double bass-ish, but if you play a bit harder, it does have that bit more of an attack.

Another thing I've noticed is that you can get a bit more of an attack by using the side of your fingers rather than the tips. If you angle your hand a touch toward the neck from where you anchor your thumb, you can change which part of the finger plucks the string. Works for me.

Playing up near the neck, if you hit the strings hard then the strings hit the frets which adds to the attack. Add in some overdrive as well and it all gets clanky.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I get a really full range and snappy finger plucking tone, actually by applying less force, rather stroking the strings, with the outmost tip of mu fingers/nails, in a slightly inwards lightly slapping motion, than really striking or pulling the strings.

Using flamenco guitar index and/or middle finger flicking technique is a great way to emphasis the attack as well, and once you got it down you can actually strum faster then even using a pick.

Both takes quite a bit of practice though, as you need to be quite precise, only hitting the strings with the outmost tip of you fingers/nails, and in both cases you need to actually relax in order to get up to speed, too much tension in your and it gets impossible to get right. 

Also lighter gauge roundwound strings will help with getting a brighter more snappy tone.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

I joined a Rock band a couple of years ago, after many years playing a jazz bass with fingers in Blues bands. With the rock band I started to play with a pick, because many songs needed that kind of sound. One day I brought in my Stingray and found out that I could get a great aggressive, rocky, sound, just using fingers.

You can get something similar, with a two pickup bass, if you switch to the back pickup and add some bass to give it both definition and fullness.

Or you could buy a Stingray....

2 hours ago, BassAdder60 said:

I have and I didn’t like them at all 

I need the zing from RW 

I bought fender flats and they had zing. They don't last as long as rounds tbh, but I play finger style and with correct amp settings I get the tone I need. I recently boiled my flats and they regained the zinginess. Horses for courses.

• Like 1