The Threats won’t work!

Bunion

“Last chance to buy it before it goes to eBay.”

”I’ll be removing it and it will be stored under a bed.”

“The price is going up when I re-advertise it.”

this isn’t encouraging, please don’t do it 🍻

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I would say the first one is reasonable statement, rather than a threat.

The second, well, I have never seen that, might as well leave the  advert.

The third, that makes no sense - if you don't get the lower amount you sure as hell will never get the higher, and even if you put it back up, people know you will accept the lower amount so seems pointless.

14 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

The third, that makes no sense - if you don't get the lower amount you sure as hell will never get the higher, and even if you put it back up, people know you will accept the lower amount so seems pointless.

I wouldn't be so sure 🙂

I remember a no-name Japanese P-bass spent ages on eBay, BIN £100. After a few months the seller changed tack and it was BIN £180, sold within a couple of days 😄

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

I wouldn't be so sure 🙂

I remember a no-name Japanese P-bass spent ages on eBay, BIN £100. After a few months the seller changed tack and it was BIN £180, sold within a couple of days 😄

Reassuringly expensive 🤔

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Reassuringly expensive 🤔

Sadly this is actually a thing in human psychology (but I forget the proper term).

Often is something is priced low, people get suspicious or think something hidden is wrong with it.

Too high, and people can think the opposite (i.e. there's something awesome about it they've overlooked).

A friend of mine's a furniture maker, and he said the best advice he got when he was younger was to double his prices. People thought his work *must* be good since he was charging more than expected, and he got a ton more work after that.

• Like 2

People are weird. They value things more based in their perception. 

When we lived in London, I tried to give my daughters bike away. Nothing wrong with it, a  pink Ridgeback from memory, 18" wheels, scratches here and there but nothing  serious. Left it outside with a big note saying "free". Was there for a few days but nothing. We changed the sign one night to say "£20 and put the money through the letterbox" and it went before morning. Of course there was no £20 but since it was originally free , we didn’t care. 

I can easily imagine something not selling here but going for more on eBay. This is a tougher gig and most people are aware of what things are worth. EBay has an eclectic crowd , this can be seen in the eBay forum here of weird and wonderful. I love the latest headless acoustic guitar in there. I actually thought steampunk when I saw it

rob

• Like 1

Ebay has a far greater reach than basschat so you are far more likely to get a sale. However you do have to deal with tyre kickers, total fantasists, people that can’t read basic descriptions and then get totally mugged off by ebay fees.

Place of last resort for me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oomo said:

Sadly this is actually a thing in human psychology (but I forget the proper term).

Stupidity :hi:

I worked in a car showroom for a while years ago, if a car wasn't selling they would bump the price up week after week and it would invariably sell at the higher price.

• Haha 3

42 minutes ago, Rayman said:

I don’t even bother “bumping” my for sale ads anymore. I assume that no-one is interested the first time around, so they won’t the second time either. 

That may be true of the people who saw it the first time round. Bumping it means that more/different people will see it the second time round. When on Basschat I tend to read the first few pages of “unread threads”. So the recent stuff.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

I wouldn't be so sure 🙂

I was specifically refering to on here. If you have a bass on here that is say £1000, then it goes down to £700, people still not interested, so you do a 'this will be 500 for the weekend and then it is going back up', I don't understand why someone who was interested in it when it went back up wouldn't just message them and say I will have it at the £500 - you were happy with that at the weekend.

I like the Dutch auctions. Start the bidding at £1,500 and drop it down £50 a day until it sells. No messing around.  

Im going to try that with a Lunt Solar telescope I’m selling. Not eBay of course. 

8 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

It's a maneuver for the cash strapped to be able to jump on some other time sensitive gas purchase they can't afford.

I get that bit but I wonder would anyone then buy the item when it's back to the original price ?

There was a bass on here I liked and it was a one weekend only special price, I said I'd take it but the seller replied it would have to be at the original price so I declined even though I reckon I would have bought it at the original price had it not been temporarily reduced cos it was what I wanted at a fair price, a week later he offered it at the reduced price and I bought it , I guess it says more about my own misguided notions of value and a good deal and he was a really nice guy and the bass is killer but it certainly didn't work in the seller's favour 

9 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Stupidity :hi:

I worked in a car showroom for a while years ago, if a car wasn't selling they would bump the price up week after week and it would invariably sell at the higher price.

Yep, reminds me of people trying to offload their old fridge/washing machine etc put in the front garden with a “Free to a Good Home” sign on it. Get no takers so put a sign on it saying £50 - gets stolen overnight. 

• Haha 2

With the eBay thing, I agree that's perfect reasonable! I had a listing for a 'Faux' Gretsch bass on here at £200, a few nibbles but no takers, lobbed it on eBay (after saying 'now on eBay' on the sale thread) and it sold this evening for £240, so £40 more than advertised on here. Nowt wrong with offering last, and potentially discounted, prices here before chucking things on the bay. 

• Like 2

On 25/06/2023 at 10:55, rwillett said:

People are weird. They value things more based in their perception. 

When we lived in London, I tried to give my daughters bike away. Nothing wrong with it, a  pink Ridgeback from memory, 18" wheels, scratches here and there but nothing  serious. Left it outside with a big note saying "free". Was there for a few days but nothing. We changed the sign one night to say "£20 and put the money through the letterbox" and it went before morning. Of course there was no £20 but since it was originally free , we didn’t care. 

On 25/06/2023 at 20:23, Lozz196 said:

Yep, reminds me of people trying to offload their old fridge/washing machine etc put in the front garden with a “Free to a Good Home” sign on it. Get no takers so put a sign on it saying £50 - gets stolen overnight. 

This isn't because people are looking for a bike or a fridge, it's because they think they can sell it for that price. 

That's how ebay generally works.

With Basschat you're trying to match what you have for sale with someone looking for it. You're relying on someone looking to buy something. It's not a buoyant free market with loads of people buying and selling the same thing. It's a tight market where the price is less significant than what's on sale and who exactly wants to buy it.

If something has been on sale for 2 years it means the seller isn't that bothered about selling it and/or they have an unrealistic view of what it's worth and/or no one wants to buy it.

"Final price drop" is my favourite.

7 hours ago, TimR said:

If something has been on sale for 2 years it means the seller isn't that bothered about selling it and/or they have an unrealistic view of what it's worth and/or no one wants to buy it

I wonder if those ad's are placed to satisfy 'er/'im indoors who is complaining about the place being cluttered up with gear. "I'm trying to sell it, honest, but nobody's interested. Must be due to the recession", etc.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

"Final price drop" is my favourite.

I wonder if those ad's are placed to satisfy 'er/'im indoors who is complaining about the place being cluttered up with gear. "I'm trying to sell it, honest, but nobody's interested. Must be due to the recession", etc.

This. I've tried to buy 2 basses this year where the seller just wasn't bothered about actually selling the bass. My reasoning was these ads must exist to placate the other half.

Honestly I think there is a reason for that. There are some basses I would be happy to sell at the right price, but I don't need the money from selling them or the space they take. So if I advertised them I would advertise them at a price that I was happy to sell them for - if that was too much for some people then there would be little interest, but maybe at some point there would be someone interested. If it takes a few months - a year whatever to sell, whats the problem, there is no additional charge to list once it is up, might as well leave it there and if someone is interested they are, and if they aren't, no loss.

• Like 4