Why become a member? ×

How do we get ourselves and our rigs to rehearsals or gigs?

kwmlondon

How do you get to gigs/rehearsals?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. I'm wondering how we all get ourselves and our rigs to where we play. Tick as many as you use

• Drive (own car/van)
    • Public transport
    • Lift from someone else
    • Motorbike/bicycle

Since I've gotten back into playing I've found a whole range of ways of getting myself and my rig out and about. I did an open mic on Tuesday with a supplied backline but wish I'd taken my rig but the car was out of service, but I've downsized my setup so I can get it all on the bus or tube. I've also left a practise rig at my friend's place so I can just take the motorbike there. 

With ultra-light rigs, IEM, supplied backline etc are we all still driving? Must admit, it's nice to be able to have a couple of pints after playing!

Always driving for me, in both of my bands all I need to take is my Mono M80 as it holds bass/leads/tuner but I couldn`t do public transport to either of the rehearsal rooms we use as each is a 45min drive away.

• Like 1

Drive myself to rehearsals, always had estate cars to make shifting stuff easy.

Small local-ish gigs I either drive myself or alternate getting a lift with my friend

in our acoustic duo - he has a small Mercedes van which is great.

For my main gigs in UK theatres I always travel in the band’s Merc splitter

bus, and drive most of the time. ( I’m a better driver than passenger.) 😆

• Like 1

Depending on the location and type of gig it can be either own car, lift or public transport.

I’ve recently started to walk to my regular rehearsal room. Carrying just a bass and a few bits. It’s nine miles, semi-rural and takes me about three hours. I usually come back by bus. 

• Like 2

As we play supplying all the gear (FOH, lights, monitors, backline, drums...), we need a van. I've scrapped our old 'tour bus' (beyond MOT...) and now hire a van, which we fill. No question of public transport here (there is none...).

Rehearsals I'm quite lucky, my singer has a home studio and has a "problem" with collecting gear... he has a decent Trace rig (far too large for taking to an actual gig) that I use for rehearsals so I just turn up with my bass! Live, I have downsized as much as possible so it all fits in my boot!

I get a lift off our synth player - he lives less than 10 minutes drive from me. Between the two of us we own all the gear the band need to play or rehearse. If I just needed to bring the gear I play (bass, Helix plus leads) I'd either walk or get the bus for rehearsals and local gigs. For out of town gigs the whole band plus our roadie/merch seller and all our gear fit in the synth player's car.

12 minutes ago, Len_derby said:

Depending on the location and type of gig it can be either own car, lift or public transport.

I’ve recently started to walk to my regular rehearsal room. Carrying just a bass and a few bits. It’s nine miles, semi-rural and takes me about three hours. I usually come back by bus. 

Wimp!! 🙂

• Haha 2

Rehearsals, I'll sometimes walk, as it's not far.

Gigs, always some sort of motorised transport (unless it's at the place we rehearse). I live in the same town as the drummer and singist/guitarist so we'll always do some sort of car sharing, depending on what we're taking and who's going.

Drive. Our gigs are all over the country and there's no public transport to my village. All four members of the band live in different counties so car sharing still involves driving to a meet up location. Thankfully we rarely rehearse but, if we do, it's usually in my home studio.

Looks like I'm the only one to take a motorbike then! I've got a top box so the amp and leads fit in there. It's a very rock'n'roll way to get to a rehearsal! I have cycled to lessons before now but the gig bag does tend to keep whacking me on the back of the head...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

As we play supplying all the gear (FOH, lights, monitors, backline, drums...), we need a van. I've scrapped our old 'tour bus' (beyond MOT...) and now hire a van, which we fill. No question of public transport here (there is none...).

Here in the colonies where I live we have to supply everything as well. I have my pickup truck and a trailer for everything!  Plus unless you live in a major city there’s no public transport. 
Are club owners as shanty on pay there as they are here? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Riverbassman65 said:

Here in the colonies where I live we have to supply everything as well. I have my pickup truck and a trailer for everything!  Plus unless you live in a major city there’s no public transport. 
Are club owners as shanty on pay there as they are here? 

When I lived in the sticks I had to drive everywhere, but honest - the gear was SO MASSIVE there was never any alternative. Now I've got a iddybiddididdy 1x12 Markbass combo I can just roll onto the underground or bus or even walk to a rehearsal space WITH MY WHOLE RIG! Back in the day that'd have been sci-fi, but it's only an option because where I live there's a metro system, buses, trams, Ubers are cheap and plentiful etc. It's not viable where my folks live, at all.

• Like 2

Driving myself is the only option. 

There is no public transport. 

Both band mates live in the opposite direction. 

Can't carry a 4x10 cab and two basses on my motorbike. 

I've got a bit of a scruffy old Skoda Roomster which is the perfect car for the job. Small, cheap and I can get an enormous amount of gear in it. It's do ugly and uncool I can park it anywhere and it won't get stolen 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Len_derby said:

I’ve recently started to walk to my regular rehearsal room. Carrying just a bass and a few bits. It’s nine miles, semi-rural and takes me about three hours

I had to read that sentence several times before I was sure of what I was reading !    Is this a wind up ?  😲

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, musicbassman said:

I had to read that sentence several times before I was sure of what I was reading !    Is this a wind up ?  😲

No, I’ve just got back home after doing it today. I was a bit sweaty when I got there, but we are a dad-rock covers band so it wasn’t a problem 🤗.

To be honest, walking there started out as a necessity as my car needed serious repairs I couldn’t afford. The wife’s car wasn’t always available, bus times were unsuitable for rehearsal times so, it was hoof it time. 
I’m a regular long-distance walker. Often with my brother, who is an ex-Royal Marine suffering PTSD. I’m the only one who can cope with his hours of silence, sudden mood-swings and (almost) match his drinking capacity. 

• Like 4

Gigs? Drive. I own the PA, too, so no choice.

Rehearsals? Drive. Drummer lives 20 miles away (I'm in the sticks) and has converted his garage into a studio/rehearsal space, so even though I only take basses and use the rig he has there, there's no public transport option.