Why become a member? ×

Just now, Jonesy said:

QOTSA on the other stage are worth a watch. They're flinging out great tunes, sound massive and seem to be in great form from all of the live footage I've seen from this tour. Love em!

They played the Piece Hall here in Halifax last week; my mate and his lad went and said they were great.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Daz39 said:

They played the Piece Hall here in Halifax last week; my mate and his lad went and said they were great.

Nice! I had mates go see them in Margate the other day and said the same. Really want to see them in London, but hate the o2, so will see what happens.

I love the gear Homme and Van Leeuwen use, most of its pretty cool and obscure looking. Shuman's basses have all sounded great too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Just watched Nova Twins.

Everyone else should just give up.

Rock'n'roll!

Some bass player!!!!!

In awe....

Ah, will have to catch up on their set. Saw them support Skunk Anasie last year and was really impressed!

I caught Shame's set earlier and really liked that too. Nice to see a bit of post punk.

Has anyone seen The Hives set this year? Can't find it on iPlayer, but it was supposed to be good.

7 minutes ago, Daz39 said:

Ok. Watching Rick’s main set now. Drumming to Highway to Hell (and singing). He even twirls the sticks. Ok. I’m giving up playing…

Plus a slap bass solo in Never gonna give you up, so 80's.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

Eltons not too shabby on the ivorys tonight either TBF.

Indeed, his show was as much about virtuosity as it was history, I’ve had an on/off with his music for 40 years - Philadelphia Freedom yes, Rocket Man no - but f**k me, anyone unimpressed by that performance and show by a 78-year old doesn’t understand live music at all. Not that it means the slightest to him, but Elton I take my hat off to you 🎩

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

QOTSA on the other stage are worth a watch. They're flinging out great tunes, sound massive and seem to be in great form from all of the live footage I've seen from this tour. Love em!

They're showing this on BBC4 at the moment. Bloody excellent. 

2 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Indeed, his show was as much about virtuosity as it was history, I’ve had an on/off with his music for 40 years - Philadelphia Freedom yes, Rocket Man no - but f**k me, anyone unimpressed by that performance and show by a 78-year old doesn’t understand live music at all. Not that it means the slightest to him, but Elton I take my hat off to you 🎩

If I could do the sets that GNR and EJ have delivered I would be a happy bunny.  At 64,two 1hr sets give me something to think about and mine are rather more sedate than GNR.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 3below said:

If I could do the sets that GNR and EJ have delivered I would be a happy bunny.  At 64,two 1hr sets give me something to think about and mine are rather more sedate than GNR.

GNR were to my mind pretty mediocre in comparison with EJ. But yes, point taken mate 👍

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Beedster said:

GNR were to my mind pretty mediocre in comparison with EJ. But yes, point taken mate 👍

Totally agree. Two different animals, energy levels in case a) and, for want of a better phrase, professional musicianship in case b).

1 hour ago, mep said:

Plus a slap bass solo in Never gonna give you up, so 80's.

One of the few acts where the excellent band got introduced one at a time and did short solos - what was more predictable was the ‘sound engineering’ took several bars of it to catch on to the idea they needed to turn the bass up so it could be heard during his excellent slap bass solo - very apt - something which was lacking in quite a lot of the mixes of the acts I watched was reasonably audible bass - I think the pinnacle may be Jacob Collier - inaudible grand piano for whole sections, inaudible acoustic guitar - and these in sections where they were being played largely solo!!!! 🤣

54 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Just popped in to say howm much I enjoyed Elton John and Matt Bissonette.

Yeah fabulous bass sound and mix for tv. Nice Stingray 5 sound - no inaudible background rumbling going on!! Thank the Lord - the bass is crucially important both rhythmically and harmonically in much of EJ’s music. 

1 hour ago, 3below said:

Stingray 5ers in massive price hike following Glastonbury.....   no need to comment on the EJ mix, superb from the home TV perspective.

Agreed re mix for tv - I’ve already got my SR5s so I’m not bothered 😀!! Having seen Matt Bissonette and his predecessor Bob Birch use them, and also Lee Pomeroy with Take That I was converted years ago!! 

56 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

If I'd been there I would have gone to see QOTSA. I'd have been extremely satisfied with that decision. They were fantastic 🙂

I'm looking forward to catching up with that set. Sounds like they're on top form at the moment.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 3below said:

Stingray 5ers in massive price hike following Glastonbury.....   no need to comment on the EJ mix, superb from the home TV perspective.

It was more to do with the mix than the Stingray, a Precision would have sounded just as good with that mix, once again a lot of performances suffered because of rubbish sound engineers, on TV at any rate