Why become a member? ×

How many basses do you take on stage?

Mickeyboro

In the serious playing years I'd have 2, a fretted and a fretless, and occasionally a 3rd in a different tuning before I started playing 5 string.

For many years I had just 1 fretted 5 string, so that came out with a spare set of strings in the bag, which I never needed.

If I gig these days it'd be back to a fretted and a fretless, both 5 strings, I reckon I could get through a gig on either one if anything went bang.

I also used to carry a pre-programmed Bass Pod XT in case the backline gave up the ghost, I'd at least be able to get some sound into the PA...

It's more useful to have spare cables, batteries, strings, gaffe tape and an extra strap, as these are things I've been asked for on more occasions than I've had equipment failure.

I take a backup whenever possible, but only take one bass on stage with me because (as others have asserted) my gear is well maintained and on balance of probability will be fine.

Or to put it another way, I don't need load balancing or high availability for the kinds of gigs I play, so in the event of an issue that exceeds any fault tolerance the instrument might have, my recovery point is to be operational with the same number of strings in the same tuning as before, but not necessarily looking, feeling or sounding identical - just familiar and appropriate. My time objective is probably about a minute, so the backup needs to be ready in its bag at the back or side of the stage. Got to admit, I've not performed a test restore in some time.

For years (read decades) I used to take just one but when I joined my current band about 7 years ago it was as a dep. To be professional I took 2 basses, the main and a spare just in case. The habit stuck and it’s still 2. I circulate the basses though so it’s not always the same main; if the main is a shorty then so is the spare and if I take a main 34” then so is the spare.

• Like 1

For the vast majority of the gigs I play, I'll always take two basses. The second bass often gets a run out in the second set. I haven't had a bass fail or a string break for years, but if people are coming to see your band, they're there see you play, not to watch you try and whittle a bass from a chair leg as the only instrument you brought to the show is defunct. If, for whatever reason, you can only bring one bass to a show, it's always worth having something in the back pocket that the band can play while you change strings/leads/pedals or pants.

Edited by rushbo

6 hours ago, Kev said:

So if something did happen that rendered the bass unplayable, jack socket failure, tuning peg snapping, pickup screw failing etc, would you just sit the rest of the gig out or would your band stop playing and call it a night?

In the 30+ years of playing and being in bands, none of these have ever happened. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Always two there are! No more no less 

Rock covers band- Spector Euro 4 and 5

Funk/jazz fusion band - 80's Squire jazz and precision.

Pit gigs, just 1 😁 whichever bass fits the show, but usually a 5

I use a different one for each set, through an EBS A/B/preamp. 

Edited by lee650