Why become a member? ×

Drop-D

BassMunkee

[quote name='Paul S' post='476210' date='Apr 30 2009, 05:28 PM']How good are the hipshot detuners for this?[/quote]

They're sh*t but slightly better than not having them. Whatever their website says, it's very tricky to get the E string to stay in tune and the adjustment for the 'drop' is way too fine. I still use one though.

I would maintain that drop-D is not the same thing as playing a 5 string. I play some songs in drop-D on a four string and some using low-D on a five string. Quite different.

[quote name='Paul S' post='476210' date='Apr 30 2009, 05:28 PM']How good are the hipshot detuners for this?[/quote]

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='476218' date='Apr 30 2009, 05:47 PM']They're sh*t but slightly better than not having them. Whatever their website says, it's very tricky to get the E string to stay in tune and the adjustment for the 'drop' is way too fine. I still use one though.

I would maintain that drop-D is not the same thing as playing a 5 string. I play some songs in drop-D on a four string and some using low-D on a five string. Quite different.[/quote]
Or for an alternate view.....They're great. :)

Put one on my Wal years ago and love it for the ability to quickly drop down and back up even when you are playing. Always comes back in tune within a few cents, and setting the drop only takes me a few back & forth checks.

I always leave it switched down in the case to prevent the thumb wheel that sets the drop getting knocked in transit.

[quote name='WalMan' post='476984' date='May 1 2009, 01:28 PM']Or for an alternate view.....They're great. :)

Put one on my Wal years ago and love it for the ability to quickly drop down and back up even when you are playing. Always comes back in tune within a few cents, and setting the drop only takes me a few back & forth checks.

I always leave it switched down in the case to prevent the thumb wheel that sets the drop getting knocked in transit.[/quote]

Maybe I'm being useless but (having followed the instructions to the letter) I find them irritating. You effectively can't tune your E string quickly between songs. As, inevitably, flicking the detuner up and down results in a sharp E-string. If you have time to fiddle you *can* get it spot on but it's no use for those "oh cr*p, I'm out of tune moments".

[quote name='WalMan' post='476984' date='May 1 2009, 01:28 PM']Or for an alternate view.....They're great. :)

I always leave it switched down in the case to prevent the thumb wheel that sets the drop getting knocked in transit.[/quote]

+1. I've got one on my Streamer Stage 1 and its worked a treat. I just check it's in tune for standard and drop-d once at the beginning of a gig or rehearsal and I don't need to check it again, I play about 50/50 in standard/dropped.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='476065' date='Apr 30 2009, 02:52 PM']Nope. Not for me. Bass gets tuned monthly.[/quote]

Should've bought from a decent shop - got mine from a really good shop - bloke told me it was all set up - consequently, don't have to worry 'bout all that tuning stuff.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='476998' date='May 1 2009, 01:36 PM']Maybe I'm being useless but (having followed the instructions to the letter) I find them irritating. You effectively can't tune your E string quickly between songs. As, inevitably, flicking the detuner up and down results in a sharp E-string. If you have time to fiddle you *can* get it spot on but it's no use for those "oh cr*p, I'm out of tune moments".[/quote]
I changed the nut to a graphite one, but frankly I don't think that makes a any difference

[quote name='thumbo' post='477000' date='May 1 2009, 01:37 PM']+1. I've got one on my Streamer Stage 1 and its worked a treat. I just check it's in tune for standard and drop-d once at the beginning of a gig or rehearsal and I don't need to check it again, I play about 50/50 in standard/dropped.[/quote]Yup pretty much the same for me. Check the E through the gig, particularly after a song with a lot of flicking down and back up again. The drop shouldn't change, or again only by cents so I might check it, but if its close enough...........

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='476914' date='May 1 2009, 12:25 PM']Drop-D is only good for one thing....

KILLING IN THE NAME! :)[/quote]
And take the power back - I have to have some pretty strong willpower not to flick that riff out when i've got a bass tuned to drop D!