Why become a member? ×

So Yes have a new video out today…

TrevorR

…post Squire (RIP), post Anderson but with Steve Howe and Geoff Downes still in the band with a selection of fill ins. It’s to promote their new album which is due out in mid-May. I have to admit that I was curious how it would turn out as a huge Yes fan. I have to say that even with my low expectations coming into  it the song failed to live to even those. Sure Steve Howe’s guitar sounds as Howeish as ever and is about the only redeeming factor. The song seems really bland even by latter day Yes standards with little to make it stand out while it noodles along. Jon Davidson puts in a decent enough Anderson-alike performance but that is what he was to do a decade or so ago. However, the lyrics, such as they are seen to be simply a bunch of barely connected inspirational sounding non-sequitur. Basically nonesense… And that coming from someone who has spent 40 odd years listening to Jon Anderson’s convoluted, karmic bleating. 

However, as a long term Yes fan and as  a bass player the biggest disappointment was the bass playing by Billy Sherwood. It’s not intricate and melodic while still driving the song along like Squire always was. No, it’s just busy and noodly. And delivered with a pretty uninspiring rock tone - OK it’s probably his Spector and they do have a distinctive Spector sound… but there’s nothing here which you’d grab onto in terms of tone. It was OK… and the bass in prog rock, and particularly following Chris Squire’s footsteps should never be just OK.

I had always suspected that my interest in Yes, either live or in terms of new music died alongside Chris. Listening to this track does nothing to dispel that thought. Anyway, I  wonder what you guys think - Yes fans and non-Yes fans alike, 

• Like 2

They really need to jack it in. They're just dreadful, in the studio and live.

In the meantime, Jon Anderson is on the road having a whale of a time with the Band Geeks, playing Yes stuff with energy and enthusiasm (and apparently Boris Johnson on drums).

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Confirmed Yes fan.

I found that when Jon and Chris were no longer in the band, the thing that made it 'Yes', disappeared. Before that, when Rick was out, it wasn't the same but for me Yes was always the distinctive bass (lines and sound) and the distinctive vocal.  Listening to the new song/video, I find it a bit bland. Very, very competent but not interesting or exciting.

It's difficult to compare it with the second video above of Jon and the Band Geeks as they are doing a cover version of a well known Yes song, but of the two Close to the Edge was the track I played in its entirety while the other one went off after about 5 minutes.

To me, the  current Yes is a completely different band and not one I would have listened to much as the music doesn't interest me. 

12 hours ago, TrevorR said:

However, as a long term Yes fan and as  a bass player the biggest disappointment was the bass playing by Billy Sherwood. It’s not intricate and melodic while still driving the song along like Squire always was. No, it’s just busy and noodly. And delivered with a pretty uninspiring rock tone - OK it’s probably his Spector and they do have a distinctive Spector sound… but there’s nothing here which you’d grab onto in terms of tone. It was OK… and the bass in prog rock, and particularly following Chris Squire’s footsteps should never be just OK.

That bass sound is totally, utterly wrong. Ruins the whole thing for me. And I speak as a recent Spector convert. 

• Thanks 1

Geeks, so much better.  CTTE is the first LP I ever bought and it still gets a lot of play at ead towers.  I still wonder how you ever go about rehearsing that song from scratch.

New Yes, very lame and I'm a massive fan of the band and have lost count of how many gigs I've been to over the years. 

54 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Compare and contrast. A travesty.

I don't know if it is a travesty, if I was in a cover band playing some yes songs, I would be pretty happy if we had come up with that, although looking at the video I would be saying 'lets put the energy up next time'.

So yes, as a cover band playing a yes song, they aren't bad.

35 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I don't know if it is a travesty, if I was in a cover band playing some yes songs, I would be pretty happy if we had come up with that, although looking at the video I would be saying 'lets put the energy up next time'.

So yes, as a cover band playing a yes song, they aren't bad.

It’s Yes though. It’s a travesty.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

The vocals are hanging back way too much there and I can't hear the bass; clank, Man, CLANK!

As to the new tune, s'alright, doesn't make me want to tear my ears off to away from it, but it doesn't make me want to play it again, probably ever.

6 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

I've no real opposition to Yes continuing without Squire and Anderson. I don't want to hear it but there are plenty who do.

What upsets me is the musicians being employed to do so - Downes in particular is utterly inept, offensively inadequate. Listen to his recreation of the Moog solo at around 15:20. P***ing over their legacy.

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar
Geoffrey Downes-related timing error
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

What upsets me is the musicians being employed to do so - Downes in particular is utterly inept, offensively inadequate. Listen to his recreation of the Moog solo at around 5:20. P***ing over their legacy.

Moog solo? Thats the guitar solo

Didn't even manage to get through this exact song. Sound is not composition.
BUT the other song they'd published a few weeks ago gave me some hope, and I was in fact ready to buy it so as to give it a chance. Don't remember its title though.

Are they still going???

Holy cow, I saw them decades ago with all the original members apart from the guy from the tribute band on vocals instead of Anderson who was on hiatus.

My brother was the Yes fan, not me, but it was cool to see Mr Squire play, and to listen to Wakemans’ wondrous stories.

18 minutes ago, tauzero said:

I liked most of it - not so keen on the first verse. But then I also like Coldplay, Nickelback, and U2, and dislike most Prince, so the Basschat thought police will be coming for me.

20 years to life, methinks

• Haha 1