Why become a member? ×

So Yes have a new video out today…

TrevorR

On 27/04/2023 at 16:26, Cosmo Valdemar said:

What upsets me is the musicians being employed to do so - Downes in particular is utterly inept, offensively inadequate. Listen to his recreation of the Moog solo at around 15:20. P***ing over their legacy.

And to think that they chucked out Oliver Wakeman out of the band to get Downes back… now there’s a properly good keys player. Has anyone heard the “From a Page” album they (well, “he with their blessing”) released a few years ago? He took the nearly complete 24 tracks that they abandoned when he was sacked and finished them off. There are a couple of really good whole band tracks on there plus a couple he admits were being worked on with band members at the time but are more like band-enhanced solo tracks. “To the moment” and “The Gift of Live” really stand up. And Wakeman can really play (a lot like his dad in style, really).

If you’ve not heard it, the album’s worth checking out. Includes the Live At Lyon album too, which has Wakeman Jr on keys.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 26/04/2023 at 22:52, wateroftyne said:

They really need to jack it in. They're just dreadful, in the studio and live.

In the meantime, Jon Anderson is on the road having a whale of a time with the Band Geeks, playing Yes stuff with energy and enthusiasm (and apparently Boris Johnson on drums).

Thanks WOT. I enjoyed that far more than the new one

52 minutes ago, TrevorR said:

And to think that they chucked out Oliver Wakeman out of the band to get Downes back… now there’s a properly good keys player. 

It's mind-boggling isn't it? Probably unrelated but I'm reading Steve's autobiography at the moment and he really doesn't seem to be a fan of Rick Wakeman at all! 

On 27/04/2023 at 16:26, Cosmo Valdemar said:

What upsets me is the musicians being employed to do so - Downes in particular is utterly inept, offensively inadequate. Listen to his recreation of the Moog solo at around 15:20. P***ing over their legacy.

Oh my goodness! Of all the different keyboard sounds available to Geoff in all those boxes why on Earth would you choose THAT soft and mushy sound for an iconic MiniMoog keyboard lead line? “It tended to underplay the hugeness of the Moog synth monolith!

1 hour ago, TrevorR said:

he admits were being worked on with band members at the time but are more like band-enhanced solo tracks. “To the moment” and “The Gift of Live” really stand up. And Wakeman can really play (a lot like his dad in style, really).

had a difficulty searching for that second one until I searched for the first and realised the second was 'gift of love'

• Haha 1