Why become a member? ×

NAMM 2023 Releases

BassApprentice

1 hour ago, bartelby said:

I quickly scanned through that TB thread.

All I could think was there's a lot of Fender and Ernie Ball clones and

$2700 for the black Aria Pro II SB-1000 and it doesn't even have the original style bridge!!! :o

Almost word for word what I was going to post.

Add to that there were also a surprisingly large number of instruments with fan-frets compared to a couple of years ago. Unfortunately from an aesthetic PoV nearly all of them were horrible looking. 

4 hours ago, bartelby said:

I quickly scanned through that TB thread.

All I could think was there's a lot of Fender and Ernie Ball clones and

$2700 for the black Aria Pro II SB-1000 and it doesn't even have the original style bridge!!! :o

That's why it pays to check out Reverend.

IMG_20230413_122216797 (Custom)-1.jpg

IMG_20230413_122318860 (Custom)-1.jpg

IMG_20230413_122233679 (Custom).jpg

• Like 4

New Stingray Special colours (from their NAMM blog) - as well as a number of new guitars - haven’t seen any photos of these new pastel Stingray Special colours with matching head stocks in Wintermule’s thread - I presume there may be some there - interesting no 1976 Ray reissue either? 

3481DBBC-FD08-47BF-AFA7-FB808878B32F.thumb.jpeg.5669b29ea5ded69097ce2a4d683e5eb5.jpeg

Edited by drTStingray

I'm scanning through that Talkbass thread as I type this.  About the only things that jump out at me are the Sterling purple-sparkle finished 5H (with the roasted neck) and on one of the photos there was a twin pickup G&L with the original headstock design (not the one that looks like a dog has chewed it up).  There were too many fugly basses and waaay too many Jazz/Precision clones with fugly headstocks.  The whole NAMM thing all looks a bit dead man walking.

I've no idea who was there and who wasn't to be honest.  No Gibson or Fender?

Edited by NancyJohnson
peb
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

No Gibson or Fender?

Dp they need to be there*?
They may as well just have a stand full of colour chips...

*maybe from a NAMM financial point of view they do, but not for a showing off new products...

7 minutes ago, bartelby said:

*maybe from a NAMM financial point of view they do, but not for a showing off new products...

Does their lack of presence reek of complacency or is it just my feeling? I guess if you’re only showing 60+ yr old designs there’s nothing much new anyway - however Rickenbacker seems to be able to enthuse people!

No Warwick + Sadowsky either? Or Spector? 

5 hours ago, bartelby said:

Would probably argue that whether they need to be there or not, they should be there, if that makes sense.

Probably the most dull NAMM!

I doubt it will exist how it does in the next 3-4 years. There is just no need for all that expense now. 

The videos I've seen seem to show it is quiet with mostly Youtube influencers gathering to try get content.

They may as well bin it off. 

• Like 2

On 17/04/2023 at 17:48, drTStingray said:

Does their lack of presence reek of complacency or is it just my feeling? I guess if you’re only showing 60+ yr old designs there’s nothing much new anyway - however Rickenbacker seems to be able to enthuse people!

A friend who works in the industry said after COVID, Fender got better returns putting the $100,000 NAMM attendance fee into direct marketing to end users. NAMM is for the guitar shops to see new stuff and buy stock. Fender doesn't really need that sort of marketing. Their dealers will buy whatever as they have to maintain a certain stock level to remain a Fender dealer.