Why become a member? ×

Problematic creators and their music

Jakester

4 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

Well, it was Great Britain who made the declaration of war, so technically it was.

Dear oh dear.....Oh well what do u expect, this is a just a simple bass site.  Is it worth trying to remind you that without that decision the luxury of free speech in which you are now undulging would be but a pipe dream. And groovy off the wall arty music? Not a chance. How much Wagner do you know?

2 minutes ago, greavesbass said:

Dear oh dear.....Oh well what do u expect, this is a just a simple bass site.  Is it worth trying to remind you that without that decision the luxury of free speech in which you are now undulging would be but a pipe dream. And groovy off the wall arty music? Not a chance. How much Wagner do you know?

The same forces who are instructing you to be angry at whatever is termed "woke" this week are the same as the ones who have just passed a law prohibiting your right to protest against perceived injustice. The free speech card isn't one you have in your deck I'm afraid.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, greavesbass said:

Not sure what you're getting cross about, and why you feel the need to remind me of anything?

And beyond the Ring Cycle, Parsifal, and Siegfried, I admit my Wagnerian musical knowledge is lacking. TBH I prefer Tchaikovsky.

Edited by MacDaddy

54 minutes ago, greavesbass said:

I was watching an interesting video on YouTube recently about bands in the Soviet union, the "official" ones had to be state approved and run their lyrics past a party committee for approval, the non officialy approved bands could subject to arrest and a couple of years in a labour camp. 

It always amused me when I was at college in the 70s how it was very trendy to be pro Soviet, and yet wondered how those guys would actually fare in a truly ruthless totalitarian police state like that, a very nasty culture shock I'd think :)

4 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

It always amused me when I was at college in the 70s how it was very trendy to be pro Soviet, and yet wondered how those guys would actually fare in a truly ruthless totalitarian police state like that, a very nasty culture shock I'd think :)

We should be able to find out soon.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I had a group of mates like that in the 80s, most of them came from fairly privileged backgrounds, didn’t want to work so were perpetual students, all thought that the world owed them. I often thought it would be funny to see how they would have got on in their beloved USSR.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I had a group of mates like that in the 80s, most of them came from fairly privileged backgrounds, didn’t want to work so were perpetual students, all thought that the world owed them. I often thought it would be funny to see how they would have got on in their beloved USSR.

In charge of it? I mean, it worked for Lenin.

10 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

Well, it was Great Britain who made the declaration of war, so technically it was.

Actually it was us,Australia, NewZealand India, and France.

We had a "pact with Poland that said we would fight to defend them if their  country was invaded.

Edited by Raymondo

16 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

Wasn't there some dodgy doings around Robert Wagner now I come to think about it? 

Something to do with him drowing his, then, wife Natalie Wood, in a boating 'accident'?  Allegedly.

The last few years has had its influence here too as opinions and beliefs outside the sphere of arts  become increasingly polarised this also becomes another factor in the equation with non-musical issues having a significant impact on specific artiste/music popularity/acceptability 🤔

16 hours ago, Raymondo said:

Actually it was us,Australia, NewZealand India, and France.

We had a "pact with Poland that said we would fight to defend them if their  country was invaded.

Stop bringing facts into it. What we demand is rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, steve-bbb said:

The last few years has had its influence here too as opinions and beliefs outside the sphere of arts  become increasingly polarised this also becomes another factor in the equation with non-musical issues having a significant impact on specific artiste/music popularity/acceptability 🤔

It is certainly a polarised time. In fairness to the current era of moral standards for creative artists, however, Fatty Arbuckle never recovered from a sex scandal with a tragic death, and various self-appointed guardians of public decency victimised any number of performers over aspects of their beliefs and private lives. There was also a blacklist of screenwriters with completely legal beliefs.

This kind of conflict is not new. Furthermore, contrary to some opinions expressed on this thread, the most active perpetrators in the US and UK have been cultural conservative and/or religious zealots. This is still true. Florida ‘s example of actual state censorship pretty much obliterates the nauseatingly imbecilic and dishonest distortion of the facts that one hears all too often regarding supposed persecution over matters of speech. As for loud voices, and public condemnation, these are not the same as state censorship. I question the motives behind the selective outrage one hears at full volume on the airwaves from people who lie with with no noticeable restraint on their speech until their bosses have had enough of the liability that comes with endorsing demonstrable lies.

Edited by Pseudonym
  • Like 3