Why become a member? ×

Problematic creators and their music

Jakester

21 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

My post contained a quote from Matt Damon's Wiki page, which should have been apparent by the included footnotes.

It's "prominent members of the Me Too movement" y'all should be arguing with!

I assume then that I misinterpreted your comment above it as being an agreement with the prominent MeTooers, rather than an ironic comment on their comments.

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

I assume you’re being ironic? 

1 minute ago, tauzero said:

I assume then that I misinterpreted your comment above it as being an agreement with the prominent MeTooers, rather than an ironic comment on their comments.

I could have started the post 'According to prominent members of the Me Too movement there is no line', but I thought irony would better get the point across.

Seems I was wrong!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

I could have started the post 'According to prominent members of the Me Too movement there is no line', but I thought irony would better get the point across.

Seems I was wrong!

Too clever for me - it was a WTF from this correspondent here also. I just couldn't be arsed getting into another internet bun fight*.

*All arguments on the internet are bun fights, regardless of the seriousness of the topic - before anyone accuses me of diminishing a very serious subject.

19 hours ago, dclaassen said:

I also really liked “Usual Suspects” and don’t think I can unlike it just because KS is “problematic “.

Yep agreed. I rewatched LA Confidential a few days ago and still hugely enjoyed despite knowing why KS has been up in court for and, for that matter, about Russell Crowe's  history of violent outbursts.  Seems to me a substantial percentage of great/famous composers, musicians, actors, artists, sportsmen, philosophers, scientists, leaders, entrepreneurs etc have been pretty unsavoury at best and if we were to personally cancel all of them there wouldn't be many left. In general, I find I'm able to separate the artist etc from the person unless the person in question was/is a child abuser or rapist. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Seems to me a substantial percentage of great/famous composers, musicians, actors, artists, sportsmen, philosophers, scientists, leaders, entrepreneurs etc have been pretty unsavoury at best and if we were to personally cancel all of them there wouldn't be many left.

True of much of the population beyond the arts, sport, business, politics and science

19 hours ago, tauzero said:

I just asked Mrs Zero whether "An unwelcome touch of knee is just as bad as being bruttally raped". Her response was "WHAAAT??". Being raped is a far more traumatic experience than having an unwelcome touch on the knee. AFAIK, nobody has killed themselves because their knee has been touched. I'm not minimising the unwelcome touch of knee, but you're seriously minimising rape.

You had to ask to know that?

Concerning...

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

20 hours ago, dclaassen said:

Had a bl who wouldn’t do Clapton songs. I’m currently playing with a really good start-up country band. We are doing Chicks songs. I really don’t agree with some of the statements Natalie Mains has made, but am very happy to enjoy and play their music. 

My line is almost no line. I strongly dislike the term “problematic” because of its place in the current cancel culture. 

I also really liked “Usual Suspects” and don’t think I can unlike it just because KS is “problematic “.

Struggling to see how Natalie Mains can be viewed in the same company as convicted sex criminals and overt racists.

5 hours ago, TimR said:

Indeed. Not even the "prominent members of the me too movement" belive this. Its a marketing device to create engagement on the subject by presenting an ad absurdum case. 

If that were the case, why did Matt Damon have to apologise?

6 hours ago, TimR said:

Indeed. Not even the "prominent members of the me too movement" belive this. Its a marketing device to create engagement on the subject by presenting an ad absurdum case. 

40 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

If that were the case, why did Matt Damon have to apologise?

Because saying something controversial for effect is not the same as believing something controversial

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

True of much of the population beyond the arts, sport, business, politics and science

Too true. Often why I like to keep 'friendships' light and superficial.  IMO it's best not to get to know people too well. Some long-standing former friends very dark sides came out over Brexit, revealing them to be small-minded, angry, deluded bigots that i couldn't recognise.

2 hours ago, asingardenof said:

Being the former rather than the latter doesn't make you a good person though.

Well. 

Matt Damon says something that's not controversial in the slightest.

Someone latches on to it as a way to promote their movement. 

A few people wonder if actually they may have point.

Suddenly it is contraversal.

Loads of people still think it isn't (including Matt Damon) but those with an agenda carry on bashing the point as its getting them loads of attention.

It gathers steam and Matt Damon realises it's less damaging for his career to take the high ground, diffuse the situation and apologise.

The rest of the world stand back and watch with bewilderment...

Meanwhile on BassChat...

Edited by TimR
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

Struggling to see how Natalie Mains can be viewed in the same company as convicted sex criminals and overt racists.

I never said or implied an equivalency…simply moving on with the OP’s original points. Mains upset a lot of country fans by (a) being hyper-critical of American policies while on a European tour and (b) talking about how stupid and unworthy of her talents and political views country fans were. Although probably not triggering for most liberals, many conservatives were not impressed, nor were country fans.

preparing to hear the usual misrepresentations and droll comments regarding both groups mentioned above…

15 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Too true. Often why I like to keep 'friendships' light and superficial.  IMO it's best not to get to know people too well. Some long-standing former friends very dark sides came out over Brexit, revealing them to be small-minded, angry, deluded bigots that i couldn't recognise.

Or alternatively people who didn’t agree with you, for various reasons.

I rarely listen to thought for the day without rolling my eyes, but when I was dropping my parents off at the airport at 5:25 (ish) there was a good one. 

10 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

Or alternatively people who didn’t agree with you, for various reasons.

Indeed. When it comes to politics no one is right. It just depends on whether your wrong opinion matches someone else's wrong opinion as to whether you both agree. 

• Like 1