Why become a member? ×

Mod for mods sake

Rayman

Eh, no point in being judgemental about it.

I've done my fair share of modding, early on there may have been a degree of doing it for the sake of it, because I was influenced by some bollox that someone was spouting or to have something cool on my bass.

These days I generally don't bother unless there's an improvement in functionality, or it's purely aesthetic. I don't make decisions about an instrument before it's even been in my hands.  Either way, I don't care what anyone thinks about the merits or otherwise of what I'm doing re: modding and I'm under no illusions that mods make little, if any difference to resale value.

Bridges with grub screws sticking out of them get replaced with something smooth. Pickups that feel hollow and plasticky when you rest your fingers on them (some of the Ibanez Dynamix ones, for example) get replaced with something that feels solid. Cheap basses get a full rewire with decent components so I know they're not going to let me down... which is not to say that they would have, but I feel more confident knowing I did the wiring myself.

But then there are less practical things like my preference for the keys on Gotoh GB707 tuners. Those that come fitted to most basses with 14mm holes in the headstock remind me of garden taps, so whilst they work fine, they get replaced with 707s.

I’ve never seen the point of modding. Years ago I changed the bridge on a Precision for a Badass and more recently had to change tuners because one broke and I fitted Hipshots which I suppose was an upgrade. 
I have thought of changing the Y tuners on my Peerless for Cloverleaf tuners just because that would make it look closer to the Les Paul Signature bass it’s based on. Haven’t done it yet, not sure it’s worth for purely cosmetic reasons.

Edited by Grahambythesea
Spelling error

I mod things that I have a problem with, but generally won't mod until there is a problem. I have different tuners on my main ibanez as it was headstock heavy so I put ultralites on it - It was my main gigging bass for a long time, probably still up there. I have done a few wiring changes as it is easy to do and makes a big difference, and a few preamp changes where there was an issue with the original pre-amp (which is normally a fault).

I've done a few mods. Some of it is making it feel more like my own bass. Others have been genuine improvements for how I want my instrument to work for me.

I recently swapped out the volume for a stacked volume & tone on my Dingwall, which works whether it's in active or passive modes. Really pleased with the outcome. It tames it in a way that the active controls can't. Plus I moved the neck pickup down to the NG2 position, which also makes it sound more how I want it to. I'd also like bridge saddles with a less sharp edge because I'm doing a lot of palm muting with my current band, and the current ones have a very sharp edge. All functional stuff!

I've modded guitars for plenty of reasons, but since picking up the bass all I've done is add a genuine Fender thumb rest to one of them, so I'm not sure that really counts as much of a mod.  I thought I might upgrade the capacitors but the sound I've got is pretty good so I've talked myself out of that idea.

Every 'stock' bass I have or have ever owned, have replacement custom wound pickups on them. I buy a bass for the way it plays and I'll change the pickups / electronics to get the sound I want. My Squier VM fretless just feels great but the stock pickups were not to my liking but I've never worried about things like that, I just threw them in the bin (literally) and ordered a custom set (alnico2 bridge, alinco5 neck), a stacked volume/tone preamp and hey presto a bass I wouldn't part with and way way cheaper than a custom. 

Hardware is another issue, probably won't make much difference sound wise, but if I like a bass enough I'll swap out for better quality if it's really needed.

• Like 1

As I’m a Fender man through & through I’ll add some form of A string retainer as this to me is a bit of a weak spot on Fenders. If it’s a bass I’ll be taking on planes I’ll get the nut changed for better tuning stability, might even swap tuners for Hipshots. Other than that I generally change the bridge for a grooved one to eliminate saddle slippage - not that I’ve ever encountered this but I’d rather prevent the chance beforehand. And lastly a Hipshot Extender to do drop D.

Edited by Lozz196

In the past, I have been an inveterate tinkerer, mainly because of the peg basses don’t fulfil my needs 100%. However, I do less these days. I have a custom bass, which, outside of a little cosmetic change, is stock (I replaced the knobs and have a couple of sheets that fit under the clear scratchplate as the mood takes me). My needs change and being able modify an instrument to reflect these changes is great, certainly saves buying yet more instruments, plus, it’s fun to do. YMMV.

I do stuff to basses to suit me…

My favourite Mod is the Yamaha Angled Attitude bridge I found for £15 on Marketplace…

Took a bit of messing to get on my 414…

Still on the lookout for another.

I’m also always swapping pickguards or adding them where they weren’t…370BE4BA-445C-4D58-9FFA-BDB64049F8D1.thumb.jpeg.c4fce626b831a69732dbf5de33e5dc76.jpeg

• Like 2

I’m big on modding, but only on cheap basses and guitars. My number 1 (in my picture) is a 1999 Mexican Precision, and over the years I’ve changed everything but the wood and the frets. It’s loud as hell and pretty bomb proof. I recently bought a Squier Strat in a Cash Converters for £45, added about £250 of parts, month by month and now have a really nice looking and playing guitar. I wouldn’t change anything but the strings on my Ricky!

43 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I do stuff to basses to suit me…

My favourite Mod is the Yamaha Angled Attitude bridge I found for £15 on Marketplace…

Took a bit of messing to get on my 414…

Still on the lookout for another.

I’m also always swapping pickguards or adding them where they weren’t…370BE4BA-445C-4D58-9FFA-BDB64049F8D1.thumb.jpeg.c4fce626b831a69732dbf5de33e5dc76.jpeg

They look great! I'm drawn to the orange one in particular. 

• Like 1

I've changed pickups and electronics on a few basses. With experience, I've found that it's only really worth it if you like the sound of the bass already but just want to tweak it to your taste/needs. If you're not happy with the sound and think changing pickups/electronics will fix things, then you're headed for disappointment. 

• Like 2

On 20/03/2023 at 11:46, Rayman said:

Does anybody else struggle to see the point/need for modding/upgrading a bass in most cases?

I just watched Low End Lobster.... and actually enjoy his content, however the amount of money he throws at basses after he's purchased them seems a bit ridiculous? Part of the fun of it for him, it seems, is this constant need to "upgrade" parts on the guitars he's bought..... I don't see the point? In my experience hardware on basses (or guitars in general), on the most part, is fine as it is, unless its faulty. I joined in the trend for putting Badass bridges on my Fenders a few years ago, but honestly, I literally cannot hear a definable difference in the tone from the basic stock Fender bridge, at all.

So I ordered (from Andertons who are currently out of stock in my preferred colour) a blue Epiphone Newport Bass. I absolutely love the looks and I want to try a reasonably priced short scale bass because of my shoulder issues. The reviews are mixed, but I know how to setup and fiddle with gear to get it right if there's a setup issue with it when it comes. But Mr Lobster, instantly pulled out the tuners and replaced them with Hipshots and the same with the bridge, probably at a cost adding up to maybe a third of the price of the bass in the first place. Seriously why? I mean I get it, if you've had it a while and you're not happy with some of the hardware functionality, but lets be honest.... MOST hardware, even the basic stuff is perfectly fine and useable unless you're a pro gigging musician who needs top end gear.... most of us are not that.

In my opinion, basses like these, have a vibe and a voice and a functionality that is part of its charm, inc pickups, harware etc.... and unless its actually broken in some way...... either:

A: Buy something else if you don't like it as it is?

or

B: At least play it a few months to find out what you do or don't like about it? Then, think about some changes IF you're going to keep it?

Personally when I'm looking to buy a used bass, and the seller describes it as "Upgraded" or "Modded", I go elsewhere, because I'm looking for a bass that is as intended by it's manufacturer, otherwise why are you buying it at all? 

I dunno. Each to their own eh? 

I'm with you 100%.

Obviously I have no opinion on other people hacking up their own instruments if it gives them joy. That's none of my business 

I have changed tuners on a bass which suffered from a fraction of neck dive in the hope it might correct it and I've made up a bass from bits and bashed it around a bit to try the roadworn look. However what I produced was so realistic it confused the road worn crowd, who prefer something that looks like a brand new instrument rubbed in one place with a sander.

But I digress. 

The only other changes have been aesthetic.

• Like 1

@AndyTravis Great looking stylish bridge on that Yam... Like some 50's American Car Door Handle, or Bulb Cover... Cool and the Gang...

Now just think if that was a styling cue on the Fender Jazz...

If it was't Yam logo'd i'd be seeking one or two out fir bitsa's... elegant.

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1