Why become a member? ×

This struck me as a rather 'interesting' bass...

Orbs

Ah yes, this is much admired and lauded work. 
An artist, writer and raconteur extraordinaire. 
Much has been written about his creations. There’s no better testimony than this:

”You never see an MDP up for sale here” 

“once you’ve played those braille side dots, you’ll not want for anything else”

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

Mr Phillips' creations have a storied history here.

On this particular one I like the way he's cut the nut slots to give you the option of fitting four low B strings if desired:

s-l1600.jpg

That E/B string looks like it's floating inside the nut groove.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

Mr Phillips' creations have a storied history here.

On this particular one I like the way he's cut the nut slots to give you the option of fitting four low B strings if desired:

s-l1600.jpg

He's overshot with his chainsaw or whatever he cut the nut slots with and gone into the fretboard too....

I like the way he's stuck a 21 fret neck on what was originally a 24 fret bass, realised he can't mount the bridge correctly as a result of that but instead of correcting the mistake he's carried on, left the bridge hanging off and slapped his "perfect balance" schtick on it. Even with a 24 fret neck the bridge is right up against the edge of the body:

41M1mwJ5hcL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

When he originally knocked this bass together I had a look at sold listings and found it was parted out, I think he also bought the neck (all went for low money btw) so this is again just tinkering for the sake of it with no end goal. Just swapping parts out without any consideration as to how they will work together and ending up with something completely mental.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

Oh so quick to criticise, I bet none of you could produce and damage such a unique Bass and have time to author 3 bestsellers?

Let's not overlook his towering genius as both songwriter and performer. Warning: if you have any insecurity around your own abilities - don't watch this!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2