Why become a member? ×

A lot of selling going on

Aidan63

196 basses listed for sale on here in January, is that a record ?

A tightening of the belt collectively ?

A realisation 'we' bought too freely, egged on by each other 😲

More 5 strings over a grand listed here than on Ebay, this is definitely a place to buy a 5 string, though it's the cheaper ones that sell quickly/generally it seems to me

It seems like a few of the prolific posters have gone quiet over the last year too , busier working or playing ?

plus ca change

This really is the best place to buy and sell basses on the net. The pricing of instruments on here, seems to reflect the real market value a lot better (most of the time).

I've been looking for a particular type of bass recently, and have been scouring Reverb, eBay, FB Marketplace daily for it, and the prices are mental across the board - this is the only place where it seems to be *right*

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, 40hz said:

This really is the best place to buy and sell basses on the net. The pricing of instruments on here, seems to reflect the real market value a lot better (most of the time).

I've been looking for a particular type of bass recently, and have been scouring Reverb, eBay, FB Marketplace daily for it, and the prices are mental across the board - this is the only place where it seems to be *right*

100% agreed. On other website buyers mainly hassle to underpay so they can sell on.

I've been doing a lot of selling over recent months (to my local shop as it supports them staying in business and I'd rather lose money than deal with selling directly) purely because I want less stuff hanging around the house. My taste in instruments shifted slightly over the pandemic, and I also realised that when the band resumed I just wanted to play, not be responsible for providing spare parts and technical services. So all the clutter associated with being that guy, and all the basses that didn't fit the new model shipped out. Maybe alongside those sadly being forced to divest for economic reasons, some others have just come to similar conclusions as myself and are likewise clearing house, thus bumping up the available stock?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, 40hz said:

Totally agree!

My experience of buying/selling here on BC has been top notch!

S'manth x

• Like 1

I’d have thought that the New Year is generally a time when people tend to declutter / fancy a change of gear, pushing up the FS listings, though unfortunately the cost of living malarkey may well be an added incentive. 🙁

Certainly “book price” seems to have little meaning anymore; most eBay BIN prices seem to be arrived at entirely at random and then a couple of zeros added, though there’s still the occasional worthwhile listing.  

Slightly off topic; I’ve noticed that most of the vintage gear on eBay now seems to be sold from Japan, with the same item listed multiple times at slightly different prices, and at a prices so vastly inflated as to be almost meaningless  (all instruments, not just basses).  🤔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ed_S said:

I've been doing a lot of selling over recent months (to my local shop as it supports them staying in business and I'd rather lose money than deal with selling directly) purely because I want less stuff hanging around the house. My taste in instruments shifted slightly over the pandemic, and I also realised that when the band resumed I just wanted to play, not be responsible for providing spare parts and technical services. So all the clutter associated with being that guy, and all the basses that didn't fit the new model shipped out. Maybe alongside those sadly being forced to divest for economic reasons, some others have just come to similar conclusions as myself and are likewise clearing house, thus bumping up the available stock?

Nice idea, that’s something I’ll think about for my locals (Foulds Guitars).

I have two questions, but it’s ok if you don’t want to answer them.

Compared to what you’d expect to get selling say, on Basschat, what percentage of that do you get from the shop? Obviously they have overheads and a desire to make a profit.

Secondly, which shop? I’m only 30 minutes drive from Sheffield so it’s somewhere I could visit. I like patronising music shops when I get the opportunity.

It might not really be a buyers market IMO and an awful lot of very samey basses.

I have something new coming in the next few weeks (Spector Euro-X) and I'd like to get another Darkglass 1x12.  I am obsessing a little over getting a Fender Jaguar bass at some point (my wife's idea to buy something I wouldn't lose sleep over if it got nicked at one of the sh*tholes I'm likely to be playing in the next few months).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Len_derby said:

Nice idea, that’s something I’ll think about for my locals (Foulds Guitars).

I have two questions, but it’s ok if you don’t want to answer them.

Compared to what you’d expect to get selling say, on Basschat, what percentage of that do you get from the shop? Obviously they have overheads and a desire to make a profit.

Secondly, which shop? I’m only 30 minutes drive from Sheffield so it’s somewhere I could visit. I like patronising music shops when I get the opportunity.

No probs at all answering questions!

My local is Rich Tone in Sheff, and they’ll generally give 2/3 of whatever they expect to sell something for, which is heavily guided by what that thing is going for on eBay at the time. Then you’ll often see them advertise it for a bit more than they said they would, which I assume is to cover postage and packing, plus all other overheads.

It’s certainly not the right way to get the most back if you’re selling as little as possible because you’re short on cash, but if you want to get rid of a load of stuff very easily, don’t want to do any of the work, and the money is not ‘unimportant’ but secondary, it’s worth consideration.

• Like 2

I tend to think that prices here are "artificially" lower than the market place.  How many times are basses reduced before they sell?

There are members selling some really nice basses currently ( @bagsieblue and @basspirate spring to mind), asking fair prices and not getting a sniff. 

It sometimes feels like you can't get a fair price here but there are some real bargains to be had (check the Quilter  cab @BCH has been trying to sell for ages) and they still don't sell! 

I often see items for sale here which are also on eBay and Gumtree. People hedging their bets or frustrated BCers?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ed_S said:

Maybe alongside those sadly being forced to divest for economic reasons, some others have just come to similar conclusions as myself and are likewise clearing house, thus bumping up the available stock?

I think cost of living is more likely, frankly, though a good old declutter is never a bad thing!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Len_derby said:

which shop? I’m only 30 minutes drive from Sheffield so it’s somewhere I could visit. I like patronising music shops when I get the opportunity.

I don't know about Ed's situation, but the Music Inn in Nottingham deserves support - it's a mother and son family business and they've been a great help to me over the years - and not that far from Derby.

• Like 3

fair price ? 99p start auction on Ebay and let it run and it sells for what the market will pay that day, occasionally someone gets a bargain, but mostly they sell for a fair and fairly consistent price; I think people are a bit optimistic about the worth of second hand instruments that have had a life and come with no return, no cooling off period, no warranty - and often they won't post; the online shops sell new, with shipping and warranty and return policies, and there are thousands of new instruments being sold every week in this country, and some of the new stuff is very good value for money.  There's usually 1000 used basses for sale on Ebay and Reverb platforms with some sort of consumer protection, plus many more for sale of FB etc...

The good stuff generally gets held onto and played, a lot of stuff just changes hands often on the basis of buying 2nd hand to try something different and 'you won't loose much' which is a mantra repeated on here a lot to newbies. The stuff that has sold of the 196 listed was almost I think without exception priced lower than most would ask for the same instruments, being sold to be played not to appreciate in value. 

I know shoot the heretic😵

Edited by Aidan63
spelling
  • Like 2

I was surprised how fast I sold something last week on here! 

Before putting it on here I checked with guitar guitar how much they would buy it or trade it for. They offered me 70% of what I got privately for a straight sale and would have offered 80% for a trade in. I thought that was very reasonable. 

Just having a clear out and rearrange at the moment but now I have cash burning a hole in my pocket. Keep me off the marketplace!