Why become a member? ×

One step closer to our bass heroes

Cat Burrito

In thirty five years of playing I have been fortunate enough to gig with a few people I grew up listening to. I've also gotten to meet a fair few away from my own playing. Just a cool story for you all; growing up in the 80s we all got into the bands of the time. The Cure were massive for our group of friends. Over lockdown I started listening to all that Goth / 80s alternative stuff again and reminding myself why we all thought bass was the coolest instrument originally. I've spent the last couple of years playing in a little Goth duo. At a recent open mic I discovered one of my fellow musician friends was friends with Simon Gallup. I felt a bit cheeky but asked him if he'd get me Simon's autograph. He was happy to do so and equally Simon also said he was happy to sign it. I had a framed picture as I have a lot of music pictures in my house so I popped it over to my mate Phil. I then waited for them to catch up.

Fast forward to today and I picked it up. I was pleased he personalised it as it isn't one to sell. I went into my mate's music room and was admiring his kit. Funnily enough when I picked up his acoustic bass it turns out it is the one used one The Cure's acoustic hits album. I bust out a few of my Cure bass lines on it which was pretty cool, and manged to upstage playing my friend's Ric 4001, which happened to be my YOB bass. 

IMG_0268.jpg.4ab2b4783079cf96242113b30fb6793d.jpg

IMG_0271.JPG.5af3916b7a4fc0c669d110bb6538d904.JPG

IMG_0270.jpg.af970a7ff5774cbfb5cf1ca068e5e1e5.jpg

Any cool stories from you? 

• Like 14

Recounted previously in the Forum, but, since you asked...

Over a decade ago now, Our Youngest expressed a desire to play bass; more particularly a five-string bass. At the time, the Cort GB75 was the least expensive new active fiver I could find. Despite this , it has turned out to be an excellent player (although slightly heavy for my old shoulders; I'm more used to my Verithin..!). The 'stock' p/ups are excellent, the pre-amp does the job well; no complaints whatsoever.
Why this preamble..? Maceo Parker was billed to play at the local festival in which I was involved (3 Elephants; look it up...). We got a call the day before from their manager, asking if we could provide an active five-string. He explained that their bassist (Rodney 'Skeet' Curtis...) had had his Lakland fail on him in Scandinavia, and had no spare. I offered our humble Cort when they arrived; he strung it up with his own strings and used it for the show that evening. By coincidence, the same configuration (1 x MM, 1 x J p/ups...) as his Lakland. No-one noticed any drop in quality during their show, through the Ampeg backline rig, which only goes to prove that it really is 'all in the fingers'. He was complimentary about the bass, and gracious enough to sign the back afterwards, but that's worn off since. Happy daze..!

• Like 5

Not strictly bass-related, but what the heck… a mate of mine was pals with the drummer, Prairie Prince. PP was playing with The Tubes at Shepherds Bush Empire many years back and my mate thought it would be nice to get me a memento of the evening… 

I mean, Fee’s right, of course, but did he really have to be so blunt?

9916A065-74BB-48D8-AE7D-ACBEDE4D9BDC.jpeg

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

Not strictly bass-related, but what the heck… a mate of mine was pals with the drummer, Prairie Prince. PP was playing with The Tubes at Shepherds Bush Empire many years back and my mate thought it would be nice to get me a memento of the evening… 

I mean, Fee’s right, of course, but did he really have to be so blunt?

Awesome!  I  saw them live in the late 70's early 80's  ( damn those jazz fags ) i cant remember exactly.  PP is an outstanding tubbist, in fact the whole band were something else.  Very theatrical and incredible songs.  I still have 4 of their CD's

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Awesome!  I  saw them live in the late 70's early 80's  ( damn those jazz fags ) i cant remember exactly.  PP is an outstanding tubbist, in fact the whole band were something else.  Very theatrical and incredible songs.  I still have 4 of their CD's

The Tubes are a band I really wished I’d seen, I’ve only ever heard great things about them live.

My mate (who dictated the lovely message for Mr Waybill to write) is not easily impressed but is unrelenting in his praise for PP, both as a musician and a person… 

3 minutes ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I hope you asked him "dya loike dags?" 

No. I wasn't 100% positive it was him as he wasn't wearing a Les Paul so I said "ere, you play a bit of guitar don't you" to which he replied with a chuckle "yeah I've been known to play a bit now and then".

Robert Plant lives local but I didn't like to ask about reunion potential, he's probably sick of that question. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

The Tubes are a band I really wished I’d seen, I’ve only ever heard great things about them live.

My mate (who dictated the lovely message for Mr Waybill to write) is not easily impressed but is unrelenting in his praise for PP, both as a musician and a person… 

So glad i got to see them in their heyday and original lineup, rather than when members started to leave. I know bassist Anderson and singer Re Styles have both gone, sad in itself, but very sad about Welnick committing suicide

25 minutes ago, Old Man Riva said:

Did you ever read how the Tubes got their name ?  John Waldo 'Fee' Waybill gave out this info in an interview

They had been called 'The Beans' but had to change it due to another band who were already using it.

The members all wrote down names, and put them in a bowl, but they let Prairie's dog  Sandwich pick out the winner.  Some sneaky git smeared mayonnaise

on his choice, so Sandwich went straight for it.  Fee didnt say who cheated with the mayo, but the name was Tubes Rods and Bulbs  ( parts of the eye )

They didnt want people to shorten it to TRB so they went with just Tubes

• Like 2

I was playing at a private party in which Jon Coughlan (he of 'Quo' dame) was attendance. Well, naturally, he was asked if he would get up and play a song. So I got to jam with him. Great drummer - surprisingly Jazzy. 

• Like 1

Last year my Bowie tribute Rebel Heroes played at the Bowie Convention in Liverpool. One of the guests was former Spider From Mars drummer Woody Woodmansey, who came backstage to congratulate us on our performance. Considering I have been listening to his playing for close to 50 years, I was beyond delighted.

GraemeWoody.thumb.jpeg.e2c1c99443e4b5acafc3aab356ba0731.jpeg

Edited by JapanAxe
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Steve Browning said:

I have supported Wilko a couple of times in times of yore.

Guitar heroes? Does playing with David Gilmour count? 😎

We are not worthy!!

Never played with anyone famous.

The only autograph I ever got was John Petrucci’s on my Travelcard in a Denmark St store the night after a gig (Touring into Infinity, ‘98?). 

Not bass related and not really that cool, but Steve Hewitt (Placebo drummer) asked me to restore the first car he bought with his royalty cheque. 

My wife has met loads of famous people having worked in Selfridges for a few years as a kind of personal shopper in clothing. 

Rich and famous or not, it seems the same traits come out when shopping. Paul Weller apparently stood around looking really awkward while she helped Dee. C. Lee. 

For some like Joan Collins they would close the department while shopping. 

And she said that Sade was possible the most beautiful person she has ever seen... she hadn't met me at this point. 😂

• Like 1