Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker=Harley Davidson. Discuss.

mowf

I’ve always loved the Rickenbacker vibe and was fortunate enough to be able to scratch the itch and buy one back in 2021. I’ve joined the odd Ricky Facebook group and whatnot, noodled about with Rufus (I called it Rufus. Please don’t think less of me) and have come to realise that this bass is basically a Harley Davidson. It looks iconic and sounds iconic, owners absolutely love it but in the cold light of day the build quality is actually pretty rough and you’d probably be better off with a Yamaha.

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

Just now, Beedster said:

Unless I’m mistaken Harley’s QC is also superior to Ric’s?

I bought a brand new 4003w. I had to take it apart to shave a bit off the foam mute; a couple of the screws are showing signs of corrosion; the printing is wearing off the jack sockets. I have never gigged this bass… so you’re probably right, but the point I’m trying to make is that the Ricky is basically rubbish and overpriced but still loved.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

If RIC would do the equivalent to a fender/squier, musicman/sterling, gibson/epiphone type far-eastern made range priced at around £500 - £800 they'd sell loads, but I imagine no one would then buy the US made ones.

Retrovibe anyone?

IMG_5405-e1536322409417-1080x1080.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

If RIC would do the equivalent to a fender/squier, musicman/sterling, gibson/epiphone type far-eastern made range priced at around £500 - £800 they'd sell loads, but I imagine no one would then buy the US made ones.

This has been suggested many times, a top idea, they'd sell millions of them, but clearly they just don't want to..( They'd also eliminate the hated "fakers" they persue so vehemently) ain't going to happen it seems, Go figure

• Like 1

Owned both Harleys from the 70's and 80's , and went to buy a brand new Ric a couple of years ago . Both overpriced and overvalued . The HD's were sold and the Ric was never purchased . They both live on a reputation that is a lie . Squegee the third eye my friends ......

• Like 3

I've made the comparison between Fender and Harley for many years. Both produce variants on products originally introduced decades before, making occasional forays into new areas which peter out after a while, as their adherents stick rigidly to the antiquated designs rather than embracing any sort of progress.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, King Tut said:

I’ve got a 2016 4003 that I use with Stray. Build quality is absolutely faultless. Is the build quality thing something that affects mainly older Riks? Anyone out there had build quality problems with a Rik from say, the last ten years?

As I understand it, there is a degree of hit and miss with Ric QC even today, there is an example on this forum somewhere of an instrument on Ric's stand at a show on which the G -strings was pretty much missing both the PUPs and the neck! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, tauzero said:

I've made the comparison between Fender and Harley for many years. Both produce variants on products originally introduced decades before, making occasional forays into new areas which peter out after a while, as their adherents stick rigidly to the antiquated designs rather than embracing any sort of progress.

I'm not sure that progress should always be considered the end goal of of design manufacture, I often look at what is being described as progress and long for the past, which I suspect is part of the appeal of Fender and HD 👍

I owned a Harley for a while, a 1200 Sportster.  Every panel was beautifully finished, albeit in a slightly different shade from the next. It was not well bolted together.

My 4003 is beautifully finished, although I understand that is not always the case.  The Harley got up the road with all the aplomb of a 1 legged cat burying a turd on a frozen pond, whereas I think the Rick-O sounds great.

I can see where the OP is coming from, and there is certainly some overlap in the idea, but having owned a Hardly Daybison I can confirm they are (or were, it was 18 years ago) so appalling in function that they stand head and shoulders above Rickenbacker for style v substance.

Edited by Bassfinger
  • Like 1

Yes.

TBH, I think the comparison is spot on. If you ride a motorcycle, the principle is the same whether you ride the latest technology laden supersport RRRRRRRR, or a Honda C50, you just have to adjust your riding style to adapt to the machine you have.

Exactly the same with a Ric. Most are accustomed to FSO's, and the Ric is a slightly different beast that you have to adjust your playing style to adapt to it, rather than coming to it like you would any other FSO. Which is why so many people who do "scratch the itch" for a Ric don't get on with them IMO. I think Thunderbirds come into this category as well.

Never ridden a Harley, and don't particularly want to / no interest to, but I do like Ric basses.

Everyone's different, so your opinion may vary.

Edited by Skybone
  • Like 1

It's an apt comparison - it had occured to me but I never really thought it through. Two iconic US brands, both broadly creating quite brash & ostentatious products, with technology & design sensibilities those of a bygone era & relying on tradition & reputation (deserved or otherwise!) to maintain a niche, dedicated market. Latterly both brands succumbing to the inevitability of having to modernise their products. Just a bit, under the surface and not so's you'd really notice.

I've never owned a Rick or a Harley - however I've always loved the look & sound of Rickenbacker basses and have a number of accurate & not-so-accurate Rick copies. On the other hand, I've never wanted a Yamaha DragStar, Honda Rebel, Kawasaki Vulcan, Suzuki Intruder or any other H-D knockoff - Harleys & H-D style bikes always strike me as slightly embarrassing weekend toys for midlife-crisis bank managers & financial advisors* cosplaying as badass bikers - and in no way suited to the realities of UK roads!

*Apologies to any Harley/ cruiser-owning financial advisors. To be clear, one of my best mates is a 51 year-old IFA who rides a 1998 Honda Hornet 600. I think he quite fancies a Harley...

I've ridden Harleys, owned Buells, played and owned Rickenfakers, vintage Ricks and modern Ricks. In truth this 'comparison' is so laboured it hardly seems worth replying to.

All they have in common is 50s technology that has stuck around FAR longer than anyone anticipated.

Next up ... valves are stinky poo.

I had a Harley (883 with some crazy pipes on it) and the carb blocked and it leaked an entire tank of fuel on my driveway. Great days (not).

No Rickenbacker has ever done that to me.

My best ever bike was a 2002 R1150 GS which I loved with all my heart. I guess you’d compare that to a Warwick? 

• Like 1

I'd much rather ride a Harley than play a Rickenbacker. I say this despite having owned a Softail Heritage which I rode back from Finland to Oxfordshire only to have the engine self destruct at Beaconsfield (only a grand or two to repair, though) and a Super Glide Sport which I was riding when I became temporarily invisible as a result of which i spent quite a few weeks in hospital.

You don't get character building opportunities like that with a Rickenbacker.

• Like 2

On 20/01/2023 at 23:29, mowf said:

It looks iconic and sounds iconic, owners absolutely love it but in the cold light of day the build quality is actually pretty rough and you’d probably be better off with a Yamaha.

That's what Mrs. Pook says about me.

• Haha 3