Why become a member? ×

Smelly bass?

Lfalex v1.1

As per the title 

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to (gently) deodorise a bass, specifically cigarette smoke?

Not an issue I've ever had before!

Is it as simple as a "new car"  Magic tree in the case?

Ideally I'd like something that absorbs the odour, like Neutradol or those plastic apples you put in your fridge..

Thanks in advance. 

I bought a bass (and case) that both had a bit of a niff, think it was eau-de-dog. I first off put neutrodol air fresheners in the case, and just used regular guitar polish to eliminate the smells on the bass. The case took longer, in the end it was febreeze that did it.

My 72 precision had a musky kinda smell which was probably from being stored in its case for a while, as above I’ve just left it out on the stand and it’s nearly gone, be careful what products you use as some might affect the finish, especially if it’s nitro 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Cat litter in a sock for the case. Works on trainers.

Can't help with the bass.

My son had a pair of particularly minging rugby boots, that no matter what we did, the smell was ever present (think cat litter tray).

Someone suggested putting some teabags into the boots. We were sceptical, but they really stank, so we tried it. Took a few teabags, but they worked.

Easier to get rid of than cat litter. :D 

• 4 weeks later...
On 15/01/2023 at 00:43, Waddo Soqable said:

There was a trumpet player who's band mates, as a gag, put a well 'gone off' fish down his trumpet, which (in it's case) lived in the boot of his car, by the time he discovered this aparrently it was so bad that nothing would shift it, he threw the trumpet & case in the bin in the end.. 

Was it a bass by any chance?

Smallmouth-Bass.jpg

:crazy:

Also hopefully his "funny" "friends" payed him for a new trumpet.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Haha 2

On 14/01/2023 at 23:43, Waddo Soqable said:

There was a trumpet player who's band mates, as a gag, put a well 'gone off' fish down his trumpet, which (in it's case) lived in the boot of his car, by the time he discovered this aparrently it was so bad that nothing would shift it, he threw the trumpet & case in the bin in the end.. 

Worst limerick ever.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Fresh air has helped.

I've had the instrument hanging in a well-ventilated room.

The case may well end up being left out in the sun when warmer weather comes. 

! Just remembered! I put my Warwick in that case. I'd better retrieve it before that smells bad, too!

I bought an ACG that absolutely reeked of cig smoke, it took over a year to deodorize, sunlight helped, bit I think time is the only way. Funnily enough as soon as it no longer honked I sold it.

There once was a fellow

His trumpet was yellow

And in it's midts his friends hid a fish

That rotted real good

What a stench of a toot

(Edit: Just realized it doesn't follow the traditional rhyme scheme of a limerick, but whatever)

There once was a fellow

His trumpet was yellow

And in it's midts

His friends hid a rotten fish

What a stench of a blow

There, fixed!... :crazy:

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Haha 2