Why become a member? ×

The Blues Brothers

JJTee

Many, many, many years ago, I was briefly a Blues Brother with a vastly more talented singer/guitarist. As he was taller than me, I was 'Jake' to his 'Elwood'. In the act we played about a third of the set as the Blues Brothers, with various other disguises that covered the Beatles and various rock and roll stars.

DSC_0040.thumb.jpg.ec9eae95f6753542cf31dbb8db916a74.jpg

• Like 3

On 09/01/2023 at 07:47, BassAgent said:

But the movie (and the music) is not about blues. It's about brothers called Blues. They never claim to play blues music.

I thought they played both kinds of music, country AND western

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I used to play several Blues Brothers tunes when I was in a soul band, fantastic fun. The Blues Brothers film was my gateway into soul and R&B back in the 80s, watched it for the first time in a long time over Christmas and it still delivers.

• Like 1

On 08/01/2023 at 22:10, pbasspecial said:

Used to play ‘She caught the Katy’ in a band. My wife thought it was a great song too. After a gig she said ‘I really like that She’s complicated song’ took me a little while to work out she meant ‘She caught the Katy!’ 😂

As a youngster, pre- internet I hadn't really understood who Katy was ha ha! - And for those still wondering: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missouri–Kansas–Texas_Railroad 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This film was my gateway into liking music to begin with. Didn't even know what a bass was at the time! Would say Duck Dunn was a pretty good first influence once I figured out what that low rumbly thing was...

Split my teen years between this and The Commitments. Thoroughly confused my peers who were all into Neu-Metal at the time...

5 hours ago, iamtheelvy said:

This film was my gateway into liking music to begin with. Didn't even know what a bass was at the time! Would say Duck Dunn was a pretty good first influence once I figured out what that low rumbly thing was...

Split my teen years between this and The Commitments. Thoroughly confused my peers who were all into Neu-Metal at the time...

Another great film, and soundtrack.

The Blues Brothers were a great band both before and after the movie. I can't find the reference, but somewhere there is a quote from Duck Dunn where he recounts being criticised by a bunch of musicians for slumming it on SNL witha couple of actors. His reply was something to the effect that  1) Ackroyd really could play the blues harmonica, 2) Belushi was among the greatest vocalists he had ever worked with (think about who he worked with!) and 3) the whole band just nailed it every time.   It's not on Wikipedia but must be on the net somewhere.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Blues_Brothers

Edited by Richard R
typo
  • Like 1

I must have watched the film a dozen times in my late teens and early 20’s. Me and my mates were real devotees, and used to quote lines from the film all the time.

I later went on to form a soul band in the 90’s and we did quite a few of their tunes, Shake a Tail Feather, Gimme Some Lovin, Hey Bartender, Messin with the kid, and I’m sure there a couple more.

In 2013, in a pinch myself to see if it’s real moment, I was lucky enough to be in the support band for a tour with Steve Cropper with The Animals, starting in Paris. I couldn’t believe it when we got the gig, I was beside myself with excitement.
We often shared a dressing room, and I became his wine gopher and had to pop out to local shops to keep the dressing room stocked up. He is a lovely guy, very open, loves a good conversation, and has some great tales to tell. I still have his number in my mobile!

On a separate occasion, we were on before Booker T at The Great British Rhythm & Blues Festival and again shared a dressing room. His guitarist borrowed a guitar off us and used my amp.

Looking back, I have been incredibly fortunate to meet these guys.

Rob

• Like 12

On 11/01/2023 at 20:26, fretmeister said:

Duck is probably my favourite bassist. I never get bored hearing him play.

My big bad do Think and Tail feather. Such great fun to play.

I read somewhere about his approach to recording bass lines. I can’t remember exactly but he used to pare back and pare back until he was left with just the minimum notes to carry it. I’ll have to try and find the info.

Yes, awesome player, saw him with Clapton in 1983 at Edinburgh Playhouse.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ossyrocks said:

I read somewhere about his approach to recording bass lines. I can’t remember exactly but he used to pare back and pare back until he was left with just the minimum notes to carry it. I’ll have to try and find the info.

Yes, awesome player, saw him with Clapton in 1983 at Edinburgh Playhouse.

Always start with goat p1ss.... :sun_bespectacled:

• Haha 1

Yup, we sometimes play Tail feather and it always goes down well.

It's almost the law that you should play something off the Blues Brothers soundtrack if you've got horns and keys in your band, no? ;)

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 2

On 09/01/2023 at 07:48, Doctor J said:

Not all of it

Totally with you, but in interests of transparency, the band on the original JLH recording supposedly was Jamerson and the Funk Brothers moonlighting from Motown.  So you could almost say this is a soul record too.....:ph34r:

• Like 2

If it’s allowable to quote the inferior sequel:

“we're the Blues Brothers. We do blues, rhythm & blues, jazz, funk, soul. We can handle rock, pop, country, heavy metal, fusion, hip hop, rap, Motown, operetta, show tunes. In fact, we've even been called upon, on occasion, to do a polka! However, Caribbean is a type of music, I regret to say, which has not been, is simply not, nor will ever be a part of this band's repertoire.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Blues Brothers mean a huge amount to me. I first heard them on the radio as my dad and I returned from a mundane shopping trip to tescos ( I was about 11) and Everybody Needs Somebody to Love came on. I can remember finding it so exciting but wishing there was another gear before it ended- then Duck stepped out with that walking bassline and I was hooked. My dad knew it and as a soul fan from the first time round we really bonded over stax, muscle shoals, Motown, and when my wife and I started a soul band, got him in on sax. A great experience, but needed Duck to kick it all off. 

• Like 4

I have the film on DVD one of my all time favourites and I like the sequel Blues Brothers 2000 where John Goodman shows he’s no slouch in the vocal stakes. Then there was the tour, vocals by one unknown instead of Ackroyd and Eddie Floyd of Knock on Wood fame who was a gas. The band was pretty much all of them, Cropper, Dunn, Murphy etc who were amazing and clearly having a lot of fun playing together live. 
it was at the Festival Hall which was a bit posh for them really, there’s no chicken wire over the front of the stage!