Why become a member? ×

GR Bass Pocket 50

Happy Jack

9 minutes ago, obbm said:

Looks interesting but what it doesn't show or mention is the separate power supply that's needed to provide the 30-volts DC.

Well, it says "an autonomy of 8 hours" which suggests to me it is capable of running on batteries for up to that time. 

Obviously it will need to be recharged, and how and when they do that isn't really a big issue, is it? Lots of devices are rechargeable. 

If it's not capable of functioning as an amp on battery power without the PSU then that would be very misleading.

It would be interesting if it was capable of being charged via the USB-C port though. 

7 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Does it not come with one? That would be a mite cheeky, neh?

It doesn't say whether it does or doesn't. 

Online Chat with Thomann:

Hello, you're talking to Ivan Chertov. How can I help?

4:45 PM

How do you recharge the Pocket 50?

4:46 PM

What do you mean by that?

Does the amplifier come with a charging unit?

You mean a power adapter

Yes it's including a power supply.

4:47 PM

So there is a separate power adaptor which I can plug into the mains, in order to recharge the on-board battery? And that's included in the price?

4:47 PM

This is correct.

4:49 PM

Excellent! Please note that your listing does NOT mention the power supply, nor is there a link to the appropriate manual. I suspect you will sell more of these if you amend the listing. 😉

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

I am now dangerously close to buying one of these ...

What use are you planning on putting it to? 

25W RMS at 8ohms would seem very underpowered in a band mix. 

Or are you planning on using it as a dedicated headphone amp? Seems pricey for just that at £350,though, and relatively bulky compared to the alternatives headphone amps. 

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

What use are you planning on putting it to? 

Or are you planning on using it as a dedicated headphone amp? Seems pricey for just that at £350,though, and relatively bulky compared to the alternatives headphone amps. 

Well certainly NOT as a headphone amp! The PJB Bass Buddy has always been the category killer for that purpose.

I long ago gave up worrying about the metrics quoted in adverts. Actual volume frequently bears very little resemblance to what the figures might predict, and the choice of cab is IMHO by far the most important factor.

I have two potential uses:

1. For when I want to play in my woods up in the Chilterns. This turned out to be an unexpected Godsend during Covid, since my band could drive independently to the woods, then set up in a civically-responsible socially-distanced sort of way and keep rehearsing. I have alternative ways to achieve this, but they're pretty clunky.

2. For busking ... something I have never done in my life, but a guy I know does this purely for fun (with a Taylor, no less) and he's offered to take me along as his personal rhythm section.

Would either of these justify splashing £349? Don't be bloody silly! 😂

• Like 3

On 11/12/2022 at 23:24, Al Krow said:

A very dodgy assertion. It depends on the band and the gig. A rock band with real drums would drown it out but playing with unamplified acoustic stringed instruments you would be barely cracking it open.

My 50w amp was lusciously fine at rehearsals but lost it at gigs. Goldilocks is a fickle little so and so.

4 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Just tried my 50W Joyo BadAss through my AT212 Slim (4 ohm).

93 dB at a metre, without noticeable distortion. A weighted.

I got 87dBa at 40hz.

A calculator says that's 121.5dB.

The at212 is 109dB/W

That would be about 11W. Trouble is 50W would oy be about 125dB, so the margins for error are quite big.

I would say loud enough to gig.

Edited by Stub Mandrel

On 11/12/2022 at 10:33, Happy Jack said:

Well certainly NOT as a headphone amp! The PJB Bass Buddy has always been the category killer for that purpose.

I long ago gave up worrying about the metrics quoted in adverts. Actual volume frequently bears very little resemblance to what the figures might predict, and the choice of cab is IMHO by far the most important factor.

I have two potential uses:

1. For when I want to play in my woods up in the Chilterns. This turned out to be an unexpected Godsend during Covid, since my band could drive independently to the woods, then set up in a civically-responsible socially-distanced sort of way and keep rehearsing. I have alternative ways to achieve this, but they're pretty clunky.

2. For busking ... something I have never done in my life, but a guy I know does this purely for fun (with a Taylor, no less) and he's offered to take me along as his personal rhythm section.

Would either of these justify splashing £349? Don't be bloody silly! 😂

Busking, especially DB, is a joyous and life affirming experience Jack, I suspect you will quickly become hooked mate 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...