Why become a member? ×

Bugera Bargain at G4M

stewblack

On 05/12/2022 at 12:36, Al Krow said:

You mention good EQ centre points - do you know what these actually are for the ultra-low, bass, treble, and ultra-high? The variable mids are obviously marked on the unit, but I couldn't see any mention of the rest in the manual?

I'd assume the EQ points will be the same as the Ampeg PF800 on which this mosfet version is based.

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Thanks 1

My one was delivered today. Every Xmas I buy myself a random gift and this was it for 2022. Alas I have no cab(s). Will scout used cabs but remote location cuts down my options. Any thoughts on vfm options? I can best describe myself as a “classic rock/punk” player but at the casual jamming stage only so no immediate rush. Can probably connect the 15” speaker from an old, broken combo meantime which is gathering dust in the garage.

22 hours ago, stewblack said:

Those of you wishing you might have the Tube version. I've just given them both a run and I think I actually prefer the MOSFET.

I prefer the controls and the sound. Only my humble opinion of course.

I think the MOSFET version just inches it, what with the new 'Video Plus' feature ;).

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, David B said:

My one was delivered today. Every Xmas I buy myself a random gift and this was it for 2022. Alas I have no cab(s). Will scout used cabs but remote location cuts down my options. Any thoughts on vfm options? I can best describe myself as a “classic rock/punk” player but at the casual jamming stage only so no immediate rush. Can probably connect the 15” speaker from an old, broken combo meantime which is gathering dust in the garage.

Be aware that is a very powerful amp; probably capable of delivering from 300 to 500 watts into an 8 ohm speaker. You've got a bargain there for sure but a cheap cab might not be a good match. If you're not bothered too much with the weight, older high quality cabs will be cost effective. More modern lightweight  neodymium loaded cabs will be more expensive and easier to move around and move on. There's a 212 cab for sale on here at the moment that would make a very capable rig with your amp; I doubt you'd ever need anything more powerful. 

• Like 1

Is this an Ampeg class D knock off and does anybody have a useful link to it being used or a demo? All the stuff on YouTube is horrendous... even the manufacturers effort sounds like someone throwing a bag of glass bottles down a flight of stairs. 

1 hour ago, 2elliot said:

Is this an Ampeg class D knock off and does anybody have a useful link to it being used or a demo? All the stuff on YouTube is horrendous... even the manufacturers effort sounds like someone throwing a bag of glass bottles down a flight of stairs. 

I have no idea what if any similarities it has to any other brand. 

Plenty of folk here saying how excellent it is. I tend to go with Basschatters' reviews rather than any others.

But hey if you don't like the sound of it you don't have to buy it.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I have no idea what if any similarities it has to any other brand. 

Plenty of folk here saying how excellent it is. I tend to go with Basschatters' reviews rather than any others.

But hey if you don't like the sound of it you don't have to buy it.

No worries mate, some one mentioned PF800 so I thought I'd check it out.  G4M don't have any on display in York to try and I'm guessing the poor quality videos on YouTube don't do it justice hence the question. 

47 minutes ago, 2elliot said:

No worries mate, some one mentioned PF800 so I thought I'd check it out.  G4M don't have any on display in York to try and I'm guessing the poor quality videos on YouTube don't do it justice hence the question. 

Yes, this mosfet version is a PF800 clone, the tube version is a Streamliner clone. Just compare the controls and feature sets of the four amps. 

20221207_234413.thumb.jpg.d8165fd9b9069ace3ae7e02516e44f69.jpg20221207_234359.thumb.jpg.c7db0eb186062553cc7b4602f9c090c6.jpg20221207_233756.thumb.jpg.2cf31daf344de6a2ea340eac1cd2d06c.jpg20221207_233812.thumb.jpg.a329c3d8d319662e08824e16ee8def7c.jpg

Edited by Sparky Mark
So I can stop repeating myself.
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, 2elliot said:

Although it has similar features to other brands, it is a Music Tribe design with some very nice features.  The cosmetic design is a copy of the GB unit, but the fan vent has a handle in front of it. This protects the fan exhaust from being blocked.  Of course the feature set has been copied, but the internals are quite different. The overlarge Volume control is very useful, as are the lighted switches. Have had one for several years but ordered another one, even though I do not need one. I don't know whether the PF800 suffered from the problems of the PF500, but the Bugera seems to be very reliable.

Edited by Chienmortbb
  • Like 3

Well, I've just plugged mine in and compared it to the Trickfish Bullhead 1K...

Personally, I prefer the Trickfish, but by a FAR far smaller margin than I was anticipating. 

I've had the privilege to own and use a sizable number of excellent amps over the years, (Mesa M-Pulsa, Mesa Strategy Eight:88, GR Bass Dual 1400, Markbass SD1200, Markbass Multiamp, Orange AD200B, Trace Elliott V4, among numerous others!) and I will quite honestly say that this pokey little £149 purchase is an astonishingly good bit of kit for the price!

Everything in it has a use, nothing superfluous, the fan is quite quiet, the LEDs behind the push buttons and master volume are a great touch, the build quality easily rivals brands costing 5 or even 10 times the cost.

I would bet VERY good money, that if you stack this little critter up in a blind sound test against 5 other amps costing 10 times as much and told someone that one amp was £149 and the other 5 were +£1500 that this one would not be identified as the cheapest of the lot! 

If you're on the fence about buying one... get off the fence! £149 is absurd for this. And this is coming from someone who's last three amps were a Mesa Strategy Eight:88, a GR Bass Dual 1400 and a Trickfish Bullhead 1K. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, binky_bass said:

Well, I've just plugged mine in and compared it to the Trickfish Bullhead 1K...

Personally, I prefer the Trickfish, but by a FAR far smaller margin than I was anticipating. 

I've had the privilege to own and use a sizable number of excellent amps over the years, (Mesa M-Pulsa, Mesa Strategy Eight:88, GR Bass Dual 1400, Markbass SD1200, Markbass Multiamp, Orange AD200B, Trace Elliott V4, among numerous others!) and I will quite honestly say that this pokey little £149 purchase is an astonishingly good bit of kit for the price!

Everything in it has a use, nothing superfluous, the fan is quite quiet, the LEDs behind the push buttons and master volume are a great touch, the build quality easily rivals brands costing 5 or even 10 times the cost.

I would bet VERY good money, that if you stack this little critter up in a blind sound test against 5 other amps costing 10 times as much and told someone that one amp was £149 and the other 5 were +£1500 that this one would not be identified as the cheapest of the lot! 

If you're on the fence about buying one... get off the fence! £149 is absurd for this. And this is coming from someone who's last three amps were a Mesa Strategy Eight:88, a GR Bass Dual 1400 and a Trickfish Bullhead 1K. 

I don't need another amp, I don't need another amp, I don't need another amp.... I must resist....

20220308_233403.thumb.jpg.0302d8286d72983499fd14b2fc8ec000.jpg

Hey Russ, recognise the TA503 that you sold me 10 years ago?

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Haha 7