Why become a member? ×

What are the "Jazz" basses with thicker neck?

mario_buoninfante

Hi,

I was wondering what are the jazz basses out there that by default (no mods) come with chunkier necks.
Anything let's say 1.57" upward, C profile, etc..

With "jazz basses" I mean anything with the classic JJ pups configuration, both passive and active circuitry.

Cheers,
Mario

Edited by mario_buoninfante

Make a bitsa, easy to do and often not only cheaper and more bespoke but often higher quality than something you’ll get off the shelf for the same cash. Warmoth, Allparts and Mighty Mite (in that order) all make good quality Fender-fit parts, or you can source used parts by any of thise as well as Fender, Squier etc. A Jazz with a Precision neck is a considerable improvement on a Jazz with a Jazz neck IMO 👍

Cool, all nice info guys, thanks. I'm just surprised there aren't as many J basses out there with a nut width > 1.5-1.6".
I'm trying to get my head around that, because I do like necks with a nut width > 1.65" and I know I'm not the only one.
All I'm trying to say is that I think there would be a market for that, unless there is a particular reason behind this choice that I can't think of.

I think it's tradition and ease of manufacturing.

It's long been established in people's minds that a Jazz has 2 pickups and a skinny neck, and a P has 1 pickup and a fat neck.

Giving too many options actually ends up with fewer basses in the shops to try. Shops aren't going to order both neck options on everything just for the showroom. So they order the common and popular items. Then the other option doesn't sell as well... and then gets discontinued. It's very circular.

Sandberg use the same neck shape for all their basses so from a neck POV you either like them all or none of them. Works for them very well. Occasionally I see a "Can I have a 44mm neck?" type question on their social media and the answer is No. They'd have to either build an entirely new neck production line for them or interrupt the existing one and reprogram for the occasional orders. Either way that is time and money they don't need to spend. They are a relatively small company so don't have the assets to just decide to order a load more machines - or get another building set up etc etc.

But - if you want to make a bitsa, there are hundreds of options for fender compatible parts. 

• Like 1

On 30/11/2022 at 15:11, Hellzero said:

You can always put a P-Bass neck on a Jazz Bass body, as they are compatible, but if it's too tight don't stress the neck pocket as you might chip the paint.

It's a solution, certainly not the solution.

I was looking at the opposite. JAZZ neck on a Precision Body. They are not the cheapest but Northwest's necks and bodies are interchangeable.

On 30/11/2022 at 11:11, fretmeister said:

Sandberg are 39.5mm at the nut which is 0.3mm difference to your archaic units.

They are quite full front to back though - certainly deeper than many J's I've tried.

Archaic? It may be old, but 9 fathoms and 31 cubits at the nut is perfectly clear and understandable!

• Haha 1

If you were lucky enough an unmolested 90s Squier Jazz 'Silver Series' might turn up - these had a 40mm wide neck at the nut, the same neck as the 'Silver Series Precision', in fact.  And were damned fine instruments, the pickups were superb as well. 

• Like 1

On 30/11/2022 at 09:24, gjones said:

The necks on 70 type Jazzes, with inlays, are usually significantly chunkier front to back. I have a USA 75 reissue and a Mex 70s reissue, both with inlays, and they are pretty chunky compared to a standard Jazz.

I’ve had those and I think they had a 38mm nut but was definitely deeper than a standard jazz neck from front to back, really nice basses 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul S said:

If you were lucky enough an unmolested 90s Squier Jazz 'Silver Series' might turn up - these had a 40mm wide neck at the nut, the same neck as the 'Silver Series Precision', in fact.  And were damned fine instruments, the pickups were superb as well. 

This looks interesting. On a slightly different note, the Squier Vintage Modified and the most recent Classic Vibe seem to be really solid bass at super reasonable price too.

This to say, I'll keep my eyes open, but as if it wasn't tricky enough, I'm left handed...

Edited by mario_buoninfante