Why become a member? ×

John McVie - Gear Auction

cetera

35 minutes ago, asingardenof said:

Only a band as big as Fleetwood Mac would think of putting a practice amp in a full-on road case...

Of course you would.

This amp was probably used back stage to warm up. Charlie Watts flight cased his teapot and tea cups.

If you didn't it would be smashed to pieces by the end of the first week.

I do find gear with provenance to be a bit of a weird thing.  The sadness is that many fans will not have deep enough pockets for (most of) this stuff and inevitably they'll end up in the hands of the Hard Rock Cafe or as vanity purchases by people who have little or no intention of ever playing them.  I'd put my hat on most of this stuff never seeing a live stage again.  Shame.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NancyJohnson said:

I do find gear with provenance to be a bit of a weird thing.  The sadness is that many fans will not have deep enough pockets for (most of) this stuff and inevitably they'll end up in the hands of the Hard Rock Cafe or as vanity purchases by people who have little or no intention of ever playing them.  I'd put my hat on most of this stuff never seeing a live stage again.  Shame.

Tbf, most of the time I would agree with you, although recently Scott Devine did buy the band aid Wal from Rhinos collection at the bass gallery! I can't see that not being played to be honest, although potentially not in a live setting!

On 20/11/2022 at 02:50, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Bet those Alembic’s go for a lot more than the estimates. 

His graphite necked Alembic was the first one they ever made.

497617_0.jpg?1668812041

I suspect retired Alembic owners will be all over that one.  It's a piece of bass design history.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WinterMute said:

A piece of bass history right there, I had absolutely no idea that was a fretless bass till I saw that listing...

John McVie was, quietly, some bassist.

Got to see him for the first time at Blues scene Thames hotel in Windsor with John Mayal's blues Breakers when I was about 14-15 I think.

Not sure of the year. Jeremy Spencer unbelievable on slide and Mick Taylor on lead and I think D. Heckstall-Smith on sax.

Great intro to blues at the time Loved it.

Edited by Ralf1e
  • Like 2

I wonder why John McVie is selling this gear at this stage? It's not as if he needs the cash.

I suppose he's got to the age where he realises that all he really needs is a Harley Benton Precision and a secondhand Fender Rumble 500.

As we all do eventually :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

20 minutes ago, gjones said:

I wonder why John McVie is selling this gear at this stage? It's not as if he needs the cash.

I suppose he's got to the age where he realises that all he really needs is a Harley Benton Precision and a secondhand Fender Rumble 500.

He probably needs to pay for a flight case for ‘em, though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, gjones said:

Its probably nicer to oversee their sale alive than somebody do it on your behalf after you've gone 

• Like 1

Just took a quick look. The two things I would have been vaguely interested in if they didn't have an over-inflated price based on who owned them both appear to be incomplete.

In particular the Hagstrom Patch 2000 bass appears to be missing the custom multi-way lead and foot-pedal interface unit, without which it is just another medium scale Les Paul-style bass guitar.

Edited by BigRedX

29 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Just took a quick look. The two things I would have been vaguely interested in if they didn't have an over-inflated price based on who owned them both appear to be incomplete.

In particular the Hagstrom Patch 2000 bass appears to be missing the custom multi-way lead and foot-pedal interface unit, without which it is just another medium scale Les Paul-style bass guitar.

Ping them an email and make them a daft offer. You never know. 😂

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

In the 70s/80s I used to dream of owning a Hagstrom Patch 🤔