Why become a member? ×

Gigging in London - safety?

fun size nick

I'm moving to London soon from outside the UK and would love to humbly ask for some local wisdom...in the grand mess of advice out there about moving to London there's always advice about staying safe, some of it from experienced Londoners (usually helpful) and some from folk who despite never setting foot there seem convinced that being outdoors in X borough (or indeed within the M25 at all) after dark will result in lying by the roadside relieved of all possessions (less helpful). A familiar refrain is keeping tempting valuables stashed away out of sight. This seems an obvious impossibility for a gigging bassist who might reasonably be expected to be carrying a gig bag on their commute back home at 2am! I've been living in a couple of big Asian cities for the last 15-ish years where I really have had no qualms about being out on the street or on public transport after gigs, and while I want to adjust to a different environment and not 'be an idiot' (also a common refrain, but lacking specifics!) I also don't want to be fearful about that difference.

So I wanted to ask - how do those of you who gig in London approach your personal safety on your way home? Is it something that you feel is a bit overblown, or is there anything you do to mitigate risk? Do you take the tube/bus and walk, or perhaps feel more comfortable taking cabs/minicabs despite the cost?

• Like 1

I've had no trouble on public transport coming back from all areas of London with gig bag and occasionally another bag (eg rucksack or wheelie case) with pedals, accessories, cables etc. If I'm adding an amp to that (increasingly unlikely these days) then I'll Uber/black cab/get a lift/etc

As with all big cities there are rougher areas but keep your wits about you and you'll be ok. Otherwise don't leave kit in your car overnight, and get good insurance (I use New Moon)

• Like 4

Woosh... I really don't think you can generalise. Variables are: area. time, luck, 'victim' flag, obviousness of valuables. My own experience of London is overwhelmingly positive.  Mostly the scum in any city are looking for an easy mark. If you don't look obviously worth the effort and risk of mugging, you use public transport and you carry yourself with confidence you should be OK. 

• Like 3

I lived in London for 68 years, until moving away this year after my retirement. I never had an issue travelling home after gigs on public transport. In recent years, I virtually always drove - you can't really carry a bass and rig, even a compact one, on the bus or train. However, I used public transport when carrying just a gig bag and bits and I never had any trouble. Obviously, you need to exercise a modicum of common sense as you would anywhere, but don't allow doom mongers to infect you with their irrational fears. London is still a very safe place compared to most cities.

• Like 4

London feels pretty safe in general, a few areas a bit dodgier than others (like any city), but late night public transport is busy enough that you'll never feel isolated/alone. I know plenty of people that gig regularly and get trains/night buses late at night without any issues.

Plus most thefts seem to be high value items that are easy to shift, laptops, phones, electric bikes etc., big heavy things like basses/amps are much less likely to be a target.

• Like 2

London is a big place and gigging could mean playing a pub in the suburbs in which case forget late night public transport, or in central London.  Night busses and tubes run the centre to certain places in the outer boroughs but not all. 

Having grown up and lived in outer London most of my life I'd say you just need to be a bit streetwise.  Chances are anyone wanting to rob you would probably want cash, your phone, and your flashy watch. There are certain places I wouldn't go at all late at night and as long as you don't live in the middle of one of those areas you just need to avoid them.  You can't really generalise on the safety of individual boroughs - most have good and bad bits.  Subways, alleys, industrial areas and some housing estates are obvious places to avoid.

I spent a couple of days in La Paz which is considered much more unsafe than London but I never felt in any danger.  One guy in the group was mugged twice in a day - I guess that says more about him than it does about La Paz.

• Like 1

I lived in London for 20 years on and off and only twice had any ‘bother’. Neither times were music related, more a case of wrong time, wrong place. 

I tended mostly to gig in central London so even though I’d be doing load ins and outs with high end gear in busy streets, I wasn’t often doing the same thing in areas that were too dodgy. Had more hassle and problems elsewhere in the UK to be honest.

Depends where you’re planning to be, obviously, but I generally found London a lot safer than other places in the UK I lived in, or gigged in. 

Caveat: YMMV and all that. Good luck if you make the move though 👍

• Like 1

Wakefield's hardly the big city and I walked across it with a bass on my back in the early hours for 25 years. The last few of those with increasingly less confidence , and if you saw what Wakefield's become , you would too. That's why I moved to the sticks.

Anyway - point is I think everywhere urban is getting increasingly less safe so I'd be very wary , possibly because age has made me less able to deck scrotes.

One bit of fun. I had to go to Wakefield's CCTV offices once for work. Bloke sat there and looked me up and down then said ' Saturday nights , get out of a silver 4x4 on Peterson road , walk through the underpass with a guitar on your back , finish a bottle of brown ale at the top of the steps and drop the bottle in the bin end of George street '

Spot on. Even the brand of beer !

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

And then there was the time that two gentlemen intent upon relieving me of my Warwick chased me across Leicester Square.

It was evening,  and still light. Plenty of people around.  

Fortunately, I'd parked nearby and made it to the car. 

That's the only one I've had, but it was a close call and I'd think twice about playing in London. I'm not as quick on my feet as I used to be...

Hanger Lane underpass, carrying a gig bag, three young lads, one mutters "He's too big." So that was that.

Ealing Broadway tube station, I kneel down to tie a shoe lace with a bass on my back, a guy runs up from behind and tries to snatch the bass and run, no joy so he continues to run up the steps and away.

5 minutes ago, Grimalkin said:

Hanger Lane underpass, carrying a gig bag, three young lads, one mutters "He's too big." So that was that.

Ealing Broadway tube station, I kneel down to tie a shoe lace with a bass on my back, a guy runs up from behind and tries to snatch the bass and run, no joy so he continues to run up the steps and away.

I should add that's over the course of around 20 years.

One thing myself and Mrs Japhet always did when we went to the States is ask a cab driver. We used to get a map of Denver, Phoenix, New Orleans or whatever and get a cabbie to mark out areas where we shouldn't be going. London isn't as bad, but there are definitely areas you don't want to wander into by mistake.

I've never had issues regularly playing London since '94. I've had issues in a couple of smaller backwater places around the UK but generally no problems. A couple of years ago we drove our tour van through one of the Royal Parks en route to the 100 Club. The officer who stopped us couldn't have been nicer. I had all my stage make up on and he was totally non-judgemental. He asked us if we knew it was an offence, we said we didn't and were a bit lost. He advised us accordingly and let us on our way, with directions. I've been on buses, tubes foot and in flusher times taxis, all without issues. 

• Like 1