Why become a member? ×

Female Bass Players

SamIAm

I recently attended the most excellent Big Fat South West Bass Bash, a most excellent event!

When you consider female bassist, for instance this very short list:

• Carole Kaye
  • Esperanza Emily Spalding
  • Gail Ann Dorsey
  • Gail Greenwood
  • Johnette Napolitano
  • Julia Hoffer
  • Kim Deal
  • Kim Gordon
  • Paz Lenchatin
  • Suzi Quattro
  • Tina Weymouth

And SO many more!!!

There are a lot of us about!

I was shocked to find I was the only gal bash basher at the event!

Now given basses tend to be heavy as f*ck and with frets that are miles apart it may be a challenge, but. ..

I'd love to hear who you consider great female bass players ... and I would especially love to hear from any female bass player here on BC?

It's not about dissing the gents (Who here on BC are amongst the most lovely folks in existence), it's about discussing the approaches to how best to manage these huge instruments for those of use with lighter frames in a way that makes people sit up and beg for more!!!!!

S'manth xxx

• Like 8

Two excellent female bass players who I always seek out are Meshell Ndegeocello and Yolanda Charles. Both great players, lovely feel and touch. Well worth digging out tracks with them on - Meshell in particular is a prolific solo artist too. 

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Smanth said:
  • Kim Deal
  • Kim Gordon

A couple of my faves there. Also:

Julia Ruzicka of future of the left (especially after seeing them live) 

Kim Coletta of Jawbox (check out the ridiculous tone on the song 'Cooling Card', or the whole 'For Your Own Special Sweetheart' album

D'arcy Wretzky & Melissa Auf Der Maur of Smashing Pumpkins

Edited by dmc79
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, mikel said:

As for weight and fret spacing. Plenty of lighter basses out there, and semi or hollow body models. And short scale for smaller hands. I only mention as I am a bloke but vertically challenged, and I have small hands so I can empathise. 

I'm also a short scale lover.

S'manth x

Gail Ann Dorsey, excellent player.

Good interview with her here on the SBL podcasts:

https://scottsbasslessons.com/podcast/in-conversation-with-gail-ann-dorsey-from-bowie-to-brooklyn

The video is members only, the audio is free, and all the podcasts are available on the usual channels. 

This year's aren't up to much TBH, but some great interviews in the archive.

Edited by Richard R
Edited for clarity
  • Like 1

There are actually hundreds of lady bass players in well known bands or known in their own right. Not many among classic rock or funk bands I see but loads in alt-rock or indie-bands, not just in all-female groups but also in mostly-men bands. My own faves are Tina Weymouth, Kim Deal, Sean Yseult (White Zombie) and Sara Lee (Gang of Four). I appreciate the skills of Tal Wilkenfield, Esperanza Spalding, Mohina Day etc but I just don't care for the genres they work in.

• Like 2

I would offer that a genre with a reasonable amount of great female Bass players is Punk/New Wave (what ever you want to name it) from 1977 onwards.

A few notables for 70's into 80's (there are many more):

Gaye Advert (The Adverts), Tessa Pollitt (The Slits), Sara Lee (Gang of Four, PIL, Rob Fripp),Julianne Regan (Gene Loves Jezebel, later Vocals All about Eve), Cait O'Riordan (Pogues), Jackie Fox & Joan Jett {Bass '77}(Runaways)

Later notables include:
D'arcy Wretzky (Smashing Pumpkins), Annie Holland ( Elastica), Tracy Wormworth (Waitresses, B-52's)

Edited by Sonic_Groove
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, TheRev said:

I think there's plenty of female bassists out there, but maybe they're just not interested in online discussion forums? 

Maybe they're actually out practicing rather than us here sitting talking about it 🤣

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

On 12/10/2022 at 11:57, dclaassen said:

Cannot forget Thomann's own Julia Hofer.....

In my shortlist and I simply love her style!

And I fancy her! lol

S'manth xxx

Edited by Smanth
  • Like 3