Why become a member? ×

Flats - stiff or tense?

Ajoten

Sooo many threads knocking about with people trying to order flat brands in order of tension, but I did read a wise thought that there's a difference re tension required to tune a string vs how tough to play, as it were. 

So my question is what flatwound strings would you put on a brand new reasonably set up bass with basic Fender 45-105 so that NO truss rod adjustment is required? Or preferably saddle height.

Going round in internet shopping circles here.

Tension values are absolutes so ordering a set of flat wound strings with the same total overall tension, when tuned to the correct pitches, as the strings they are replacing should achieve what you are after with regard to not having to adjust the truss rod.

However as you point out, tension in itself is not the whole story when it comes to the feel of the stings. This is also down to compliance and on the whole flat-wound stings are less compliant than round wounds of the same tension at the same pitch (unless they are TI Jazz flats). Therefore the string will feel different, and more likely will be "stiffer".

Only you can decide if the difference in feel is worth not having the make changes to the set up (although you may well have to alter the height of the saddles and adjust the intonation anyway due to the differences in construction of the strings).

Edited by BigRedX

I've found that using Rotosound flats (SM77) then drop a gauge (105 to 45 drops to 100 to 40) for the same tension. Other brands will be the same tension at the same diameter. Thomastik Infeld tend to be a little on the 'wobbly' side, so the same diameter strings will feel looser nd lower tension.

Adagio Flats at 45-100 are billed as Standard Tension... i've found not dissimilar to a 45-105 set of rounds... although i'm no string expert and have only ever used Adagio Flats on 5 Basses due to price... have tried various rounds though Roto, Dunlop, Olympia, Adagio... but all these at the lower £ end.

Edited by PaulThePlug

The flats on my CV P bass are Adagio and they definitely feel lower tension than the LaBella 760's I've used in the past - I had to adjust the truss rod to accommodate the LaBella's tension and they felt very stiff when playing (which helped a bit with speed) but these softer Adagio's feel really nice.

I have found Fender 9050L to be a good set of flats. I guess it also depends on what sound you want too as brands vary so much. You shouldn’t need to adjust the truss rod with these but you might find you can lower the saddles without creating fret buzz / choking if you want a lower action.

I’ve only ever used flats so I can’t comment on anything to do with rounds, but I have been through lots of flats, I’ve switched different brands of 45-105 and similar gauges and haven’t had to alter the truss rod, I think you will be ok

Edited by Reggaebass

If changing strings does alter the amount of relief in the neck it is important to realise that adjusting the truss rod isn't as big a deal as you probably think it is once you are able to predict what adjusting it will do. There are plently of tutorials available and if there's a friendly basschatter near you they might be able to help you.

• Like 1

I've tried so many flats and they are all different.

I have 3 that I would buy again

Ti Flat

EB Group 4

Dunlops

The EB Group 4 are 40-95 and feel the highest tension (I've not looked) of the 3, but they are much smoother under the fingers that the other 2 and have a relatively bright tone.

The Dunlops are next and have more of a trad tone. Not quite as thuddy as La Bella's but more versatile. They are a bit more flexible.

Ti Flats - the famous mid pushed low tension option.

The EB Group 4 are my favourite of those.

D'Addario Chromes for me. They feel good under the fingers and are a little brighter (but not harsh) than La Bellas and more traditional flats. They last well and mellow nicely. There's a 45-100 set or a 40-95 set (which is the one I use), which is low tension for a flat, but not soggy feeling as Tomastiks can be (particularly the A) in my experience.

Edited by Dan Dare

27 minutes ago, Ajoten said:

Tried some La Bella low tension flats. Exactly what I wanted, the flat feel but with an unnoticeable change in tension. And obviously no liztruss rod tweaks required.

Great strings, I’ve got about 7 basses with them and they get better with time too 

• Haha 1

I really like the labella low tensions too. 

Currently have Dunlop flats on my P and I'm really enjoying them. I'm playing/practicing a lot with a pick and the Dunlops sound and feel awesome. Really funky. Great fun!

It previously had D'addario nickel rounds on it 105-45 and didn't need the truss rod adjusting when I put on the Dunlops (same gauge). Not that I mind tweaking the trussrod if need be.

Edited by miles'tone

On 15/09/2022 at 10:18, Ajoten said:

Sooo many threads knocking about with people trying to order flat brands in order of tension, but I did read a wise thought that there's a difference re tension required to tune a string vs how tough to play, as it were. 

So my question is what flatwound strings would you put on a brand new reasonably set up bass with basic Fender 45-105 so that NO truss rod adjustment is required? Or preferably saddle height.

Going round in internet shopping circles here.

What is the reasoning behind the requirement for NO truss rod adjustment?  Any change of string type runs the "risk" of having to do a full setup, truss rod and all.  You'll be lucky if you dodge the need to touch anything after a full string change to a different brand of roundwounds of the same gauge, never mind changing string construction type.