Why become a member? ×

A general observation.

mattbass6

It’s been interesting, and equally scary, to see how prices across the board have risen so much in recent times. Bass gear is clearly not exempt from such inflationary influences. It flabbergasts me to see how much gear has shot up in the past 6 months, let alone the past 12-18 months. We’ll soon need mortgages for many things other than houses. 

I wonder how long the top end of the market can genuinely compete at that level of pricing? I’ve been fortunate to buy very lovely basses over the part decade, and recently bought some higher end basses in the past 6-12 months. To buy the equivalent today, I’d need an extra 50%. How sustainable is this?

As I said, just an observation, but a situation that makes exploration a little tougher. Even the 2nd hand market is a tough one at the moment, and understandably. Anyway, I’ll shut up now. Cheers ☺️

Edited by mattbass6
Rephrasing of my post.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Richard R said:

The extreme top end may be unaffected. The rest will have to out up prices to cover costs, but as discretionary purchases they will be hit and sell fewer.  Which is not good for any businesses. 

Agreed. I assume the top end is where workmanship and man hours, for want of a better phrase, impact much more on the finished price. The low end will suffer more from timber and component price hikes. 

• Like 1

Inflation is rocketing for several reasons including a supply side crisis and rising fuel costs. The situation in the UK is even worse as we have a weak currency. Most commodities are traded in $s. As the £ has fallen 14% against the $ and is anticipated to fall further costs will continue to go up.

Its a tricky situation to get out of. As we import more than we export the £ in our pocket will continue to be devalued and costs will continue to rise.

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Richard R said:

The extreme top end may be unaffected. The rest will have to out up prices to cover costs, but as discretionary purchases they will be hit and sell fewer.  Which is not good for any businesses. 

I think the high end stuff will be largely unaffected tbh.

The crucial factor is the customer rather than the builder and the chances are that if you could afford a high end bit of kit now you are probably reasonably wealthy/comfortable compared to most. Consequently they will be less affected by the current/incoming issues than middle income families would be. 

I'm seeing a similar situation in my business which is cycling. Loosely speaking it means that there's no such thing as a cheap bike anymore as the material and production costs are so high. The mid range market is really suffering - it's made up of average families and enthusiasts who have traditionally had a modest leisure spend available to them. And the high end boutique bikes are unaffected as people that can afford them always have a decent leisure spend available - they may have a bit less now but it's still more than most people could hope for.

• Like 2

The second hand bass prices in Guitarguitar is shocking. A second hand MM Sterling from 2000, £1899 - a 2021 US P pro 2, £1599 - a 2002 US Standard P, £1199.

I like GG, have bought quite a few things in there over the years but they are just taking the p with those prices. I guess that they wont be the only ones doing this but the price of the Sterling in particular made me scratch my head. I can understand the new prices but s/h asking prices are just getting silly now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jezzaboy said:

. I guess that they wont be the only ones doing this but the price of the Sterling in particular made me scratch my head

Used Sterlings (and Stingrays) seem to be going on Facebook marketplace for around £1100 - £1400 at the moment. Add VAT and a profit margin and you can see why the GG price is getting up there. It wasn't too long ago that £700 - £1000 was the right price. 

• Like 1

I bought a secondhand 2014 Stingray from Guitar Guitar, in 2018, for £1200. At the time I bought it, they were going for about £900 on Basschat but were thin on the ground, and my impatience got the better of me. So when I saw one on the wall at GG I bought it.

I have no idea what they're going for in GG nowdays.

The Stingray Specials are now £3,000 new, which is far more than I would ever spend on a bass.

• Like 1

I watch the local kijiji site like a hawk and have noticed the price creep in private online sales and regular retail , oh there’s the occasional deal , those tend to go quickly , but a surprising amount of things do not seem to be selling right now. I keep seeing the same items being relisted . Usually without any drop in price. And at prices I consider high. 
I ‘m glad to think there’s nothing I need. 

• Like 1

Just had a look at the prices of a certain, well known, Bass shop in London. Astonishing really how prices have ramped right up of late. I know the reasons why (in theory) but I doubt the people trading these basses in, saw any more money in return. There's a MIJ Marcus Miller up for £1550! I sold mine last year for £750!

Edited by 40hz

Tempted to put an offer on a local kijiji amp sale. But I don’t need it. It could be a deal…

There’s still some deals on private sales but even there many are looking for close to retail money.

edit

put in an offer for a Darkglass Exponent 500 , might be too late …

Edited by msb
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 40hz said:

Just had a look at the prices of a certain, well known Bass shop in London. Astonishing really how prices have ramped right up of late. I know the reasons why (in theory) but I doubt the people trading these basses saw any more money in return. There's a MIJ Marcus Miller up for £1500! I sold mine last year for £750!

I think the phrase you’re looking for is “daylight robbery”. But then it’s sold and they’ve been at that for quite a while - a lot of used basses seem to get London Weighting added. Squier JV for £1,800, anyone? ;)

• Like 1

During the lockdown and all that time at home, I bought a few basses I’d wanted a while, a couple of guitars too. And I bought at the right time. Some of them, like the Hofner bass and a Ric 330 spent decades on my wishlist.  I got great deals,  but now, prices are soaring on them in the US as well.  Nearly 2000 bucks for a standard American Fender?   Even some Fender MIM basses are approaching $1300, unthinkable a couple of years ago.  Players are fine instruments, but c’mon. Even regular Players are approaching $900. 

I paid $1700 2 years ago for my lefty Ric 330 new. Lefties are now going for between 2300-2500.  Righties can score a new one for $2000.  

• Like 1