Why become a member? ×

Coda Music Stevenage

Frank Blank

I couldn't find a thread about this shop so thought I'd just make people aware of it if they weren't already.

I was having trouble finding a HX Stomp XL online, you can order them but most places are out of stock awaiting delivery 6-8 weeks. I managed to find one apparently in stock at a shop in Stevenage that I hadn't heard of before, Coda Music. I emailed first at the end of last week, they very quickly confirmed they had two units in stock. I decided to go up rather than order online, I wanted to take a look at the old skatepark at Bowes Lyon House, a place I skated many times in my youth, it was also a venue where I saw quite a few gigs too.

632540226_BowesLyon.thumb.jpg.bd6421617d11527d7cc52b7a7f1ca291.jpg

Anyway, we aren't on SkateChat are we? So I called before I set off, just to double check I wasn't wasting a three hour round trip, again, two units in stock. The shop address is in the High Street but it appears to be quite an old part of the town, small interesting shops, you can park for free right on the High Street or in the surrounding streets, I parked about a minutes walk away. I strolled in just as heavy rain started. Two gentlemen of, shall we say, a certain age were behind the counter, no disinterested teenage minions chewing gum and texting rather than serving, no idiots playing Slayer's entire oeuvre at Wembley volume, in fact no music on at all, it was as quiet as a library, just the clicking of PC keys. I asked for the Stomp, stock was checked and one of the chaps said "It's in our store, I'll just go get it." I took the opportunity for a snoop around, it appeared at first to be a tiny shop but on walking through to the back it opened out and there was a whole other floor jam packed with an amazing array of guitars, interesting guitars too! I noticed there were no acoustics but they have another branch in Stevenage dedicated solely to acoustics! They had a rack of basses too, one or two interesting but mostly Fenders obviously.

Coda.thumb.jpg.cae9456ba94fd548f4b473a95ea39a9c.jpg

The Stomp arrived, payment was taken by the extremely helpful and polite staff who even put up with my foul language when they asked for my name/address/email shizzle, not their fault, it's usual practice these day. I left and then came straight back in as it was really tipping down, without me saying anything one of the chaps found me a large plastic bag to wrap up my purchase.

All in all a good experience. It's a lovely shop, not at all like the chain music stores. I wish I'd had time for a longer look around, all the instruments looked interesting rather than just the usual stuff, even the Fenders looked enticing (I'm not a Fender man) particularly the dark blue metallic one at the front. Cool shop, nice staff, highly recommended.

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Frank Blank said:

I wanted to take a look at the old skatepark at Bowes Lyon House, a place I skated many times in my youth, it was also a venue where I saw quite a few gigs too.

I'm amazed that it's still there! A proper old-school half pipe that is (no flat bottom).

Anyway, on with the bass stuff.... as you were.

My local. That's what we call The Old Town. 

It's changed a bit in the last 20+ years I've been going there. Their other shop in Luton closed down a few years ago.

In around 2000 I went in to browse and spotted a second hand Trace Elliot GP7 15" Combo that had just come in with a £300 label on it. I asked if that was the correct price, "Hold on, I'll ring the boss, he's not seen it yet and it's just come in." A bit later "Yes, that's the right price."

"OK I'll take it now."

10 years later having played many many gigs, I sold it for £300. 

My current amp and one of my cabs was purchased at the Luton shop.

That is a big rack of Fenders but not much second hand or budget end. Take your credit card.

Always very helpful guys. 

Edited by TimR
  • Like 2

Glad Coda has been praised. My band play Stevenage every year ( we are there tomorrow

night )and I always visit the shop when we are there. Great staff, massive stocks of

quality gear and competitive pricing too. A real tardis like place, with a nice bakery

round the corner as well!

I remember playing a Fano a few years ago and wishing I had the funds for it, of course

they’ve shot up in price since. 

Certainly one of the best shops in the UK.

I was looking at their site and surprised at the number of higher end instruments. Including a Ric 4005XC ! 
That Eastwood Combinata was inspired by the designs Paul Barth did for Rickenbacker in the 50’s. I’ve almost bought one several times now , and their prices have certainly risen. Never actually seen one in the flesh. 
I love a nice music store with some character and depth. And that one fits the bill. 
And the owners of those little shops tend to be a little odd. All part of the charm.

Coda Music. 51A High Street, Stevenage. SG1 3AH is the proper postal address, but they're not easily visible from the High Street itself. Look for the pedestrian crossing. For road signs look for the "Old town", not the Town Centre.

Coda are set back up a wide alleyway from the High Street on a corner with "Middle Row". The cake shop, "Simmons" is 30m to the south, down Middle Row.

Enjoy.

• Like 1

I've bought a few things from Coda Luton - Acoustic Guitar, an echo pedal and my beloved ukulele. Had a guitar set up there too. But mostly went in for picks and other sundries.

As mentioned Coda Luton closed down... I think they just kept going until their rental term was up.

I went to the Stevenage branch for a repair to a banjo..... and at collection time had to wait around a while amongst all the stock.

But a roomful of guitars, basses and so on doesn't really interest me.

I just go into the shop on the rare occasions I am after new gear (or a repair), look at the minimum amount of objects to make a selection and leave.

I know it's unusual, but I can't be the only one... can I?

On 08/09/2022 at 16:04, Frank Blank said:

I couldn't find a thread about this shop so thought I'd just make people aware of it if they weren't already.

I was having trouble finding a HX Stomp XL online, you can order them but most places are out of stock awaiting delivery 6-8 weeks. I managed to find one apparently in stock at a shop in Stevenage that I hadn't heard of before, Coda Music. I emailed first at the end of last week, they very quickly confirmed they had two units in stock. I decided to go up rather than order online, I wanted to take a look at the old skatepark at Bowes Lyon House, a place I skated many times in my youth, it was also a venue where I saw quite a few gigs too.

Anyway, we aren't on SkateChat are we? So I called before I set off, just to double check I wasn't wasting a three hour round trip, again, two units in stock. The shop address is in the High Street but it appears to be quite an old part of the town, small interesting shops, you can park for free right on the High Street or in the surrounding streets, I parked about a minutes walk away. I strolled in just as heavy rain started. Two gentlemen of, shall we say, a certain age were behind the counter, no disinterested teenage minions chewing gum and texting rather than serving, no idiots playing Slayer's entire oeuvre at Wembley volume, in fact no music on at all, it was as quiet as a library, just the clicking of PC keys. I asked for the Stomp, stock was checked and one of the chaps said "It's in our store, I'll just go get it." I took the opportunity for a snoop around, it appeared at first to be a tiny shop but on walking through to the back it opened out and there was a whole other floor jam packed with an amazing array of guitars, interesting guitars too! I noticed there were no acoustics but they have another branch in Stevenage dedicated solely to acoustics! They had a rack of basses too, one or two interesting but mostly Fenders obviously.

Coda.thumb.jpg.cae9456ba94fd548f4b473a95ea39a9c.jpg

The Stomp arrived, payment was taken by the extremely helpful and polite staff who even put up with my foul language when they asked for my name/address/email shizzle, not their fault, it's usual practice these day. I left and then came straight back in as it was really tipping down, without me saying anything one of the chaps found me a large plastic bag to wrap up my purchase.

All in all a good experience. It's a lovely shop, not at all like the chain music stores. I wish I'd had time for a longer look around, all the instruments looked interesting rather than just the usual stuff, even the Fenders looked enticing (I'm not a Fender man) particularly the dark blue metallic one at the front. Cool shop, nice staff, highly recommended.

I bought from them a few times in the 90s, before I moved to Scotland. They were always great. I once went there with the intention of trying an Epiphone Les Paul. They had just released a green one I really liked, so I called first to see if they had some. They had two. When I arrived they ushered me upstairs where I was left to do my thing with a couple of guitars and a very tasty Fender DeVille amplifier... It never mattered if you wanted something cheap or expensive.

Glad to hear they're still good.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I bought one of those green Epi  Les Pauls from Coda in ‘97 @mcnach, was a great guitar but pickups fed back rotten at gig volumes, had to swap them out.

I was strictly a bedroom guitarist back then so I had no issues. Great guitar and surprisingly light for a Les Paul. Wish I had it now but it fell during "hard times mk 1" and only kept a Stratocaster from those days.