Why become a member? ×

Couriers that Insure musical instruments

TheGreek

I think they're all a bunch of crooks, and requiring us to take out insurance against their mistakes is a total racket, so the best thing you can do is make your parcel as courierproof as possible.  And don't, for the love of god use Hermes/Evri or Yodel.  Those two would find a way to deliver Captain Scarlet in multiple pieces.  To your roof.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Buyer doesn't want to pay for a hard case. Pretty sure this will be a standard requirement so it looks like we're taking the risk. 

I've been lucky so far. 🤞

Buyer would be far better off spending his money on a hard case than insurance, IMHO.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Get the buyer to insure his bass and pay for his own courier. You drop it off at the courier depot. Then if anything goes wrong you aren't involved.

But what about packaging ?

Quite a few couriers have used the "not packed securely enough" thing, and it's them who judge the worthiness of the packaging 

Edited by 2pods
  • Like 1

It might be that whatever you are intending to ship @TheGreek  may not be worth considering this, but I’ve been using @walshy’s Man with a Van.

£60 door to door. None of this insuring nonsense to worry about and you won’t need a hard case.

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker

3 minutes ago, 2pods said:

But what about packaging ?

Quite a few couriers have used the "not packed securely enough" thing, and it's them who judge the worthiness of the packaging 

It's impossible to pack against every possible idiot mishandling it. Either the buyer accepts your proposed packaging and arranges his courier and insurance or he doesn't.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

It's impossible to pack against every possible idiot mishandling it. Either the buyer accepts your proposed packaging and arranges his courier and insurance or he doesn't

It seems to be at the courier's discretion, as it's their standard get out clause in all their bumph.

I usually go for double boxing with plenty of bubblewrap. So far I've been lucky...

• Like 1

Even some external insurers like Securicas (sp?) have clauses that effectively prevent the cover from working unless it's a business, and they specifically exclude anything bought / sold at auction including online ones like Ebay.

Their reviews are awful.

If I'm buying - I travel.

If I'm selling then I ask the buyer to arrange the courier and pick their own insurance cover. Of course that isn't the be all and end all because I still have to pack the item properly. I always do and I take loads of photos / film of the packing process and send it to the buyer before it gets collected by the courier.

That's for instruments.

For other stuff I use Royal Mail Special Delivery as the tracking is far better than most couriers and they do offer better insurance terms. For stuff like Class D heads it's no more expensive than a good courier.

• Like 2

On 30/08/2022 at 11:58, TheGreek said:

I normally use Parcelforce but they are on strike this week. 

I have a potential buyer for an item I have for sale who is enquiring about the cost of insured couriers. 

Any suggestions?

I don’t think Parcelforce cover instruments. Though they’ll probably take your money for the insurance.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Even some external insurers like Securicas (sp?) have clauses that effectively prevent the cover from working unless it's a business, and they specifically exclude anything bought / sold at auction including online ones like Ebay.

Their reviews are awful.

If I'm buying - I travel.

If I'm selling then I ask the buyer to arrange the courier and pick their own insurance cover. Of course that isn't the be all and end all because I still have to pack the item properly. I always do and I take loads of photos / film of the packing process and send it to the buyer before it gets collected by the courier.

That's for instruments.

For other stuff I use Royal Mail Special Delivery as the tracking is far better than most couriers and they do offer better insurance terms. For stuff like Class D heads it's no more expensive than a good courier.

That’s me too. I’ve had some nice days out to places I wouldn’t otherwise have gone to. 

41 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

They won’t pay out.

Have a proper look at the terms and then read the reviews.

They seem to pay out most of the time. I've just been reading through the Trustpilot reviews and it seems that the complainers haven't followed their procedures. Not taking "before" photos, not using a service that required a signature, and not submitting the claim soon enough seem to be the primary reasons. I'm not saying that the terms aren't fairly onerous, but you have to adhere to the policy rules taking out car insurance so it's not unreasonable to do the same for parcel insurance.

Last time I sent something, Interparcel wanted a hefty chunk on top for insurance. I booked direct through UPS instead, and the cost was quite a bit less including a declared value.