Why become a member? ×

Band Names... How To Pick One!

binky_bass

33 minutes ago, bass_dinger said:

I am often inspired by colour charts. 

When one has to name 127 shades of beige, or dark blue, the imagination runs riot. 

Pick a range with double names. Citrus Blue; Emerald Coast; Mint Blue.

Then you can drop the colour and combine two nouns. 

image.png.ed9e1d0de5f3279af94d412721bac004.png

• Haha 5

Tony Levin had a list of unused band names on his website for a while, some funny and useable names on that.

For the last project we trolled though the usual pop culture references and in jokes (Putin's Tiny Horse was a favourite for a while), then looked at all of the ship names in Iain M Banks Culture novels after Anal Musk started using the names for his drone ships (the "Of Course I still Love you" and "Significant Shortfall of Gravitas") there's some good ideas in there.

In the end we chose a Ken McLeod Novel title.

Folder.jpg.4fa5d42f86bf4de24acb7c6c35b99978.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WinterMute said:

Tony Levin had a list of unused band names on his website for a while, some funny and useable names on that.

For the last project we trolled though the usual pop culture references and in jokes (Putin's Tiny Horse was a favourite for a while), then looked at all of the ship names in Iain M Banks Culture novels after Anal Musk started using the names for his drone ships (the "Of Course I still Love you" and "Significant Shortfall of Gravitas") there's some good ideas in there.

In the end we chose a Ken McLeod Novel title.

Folder.jpg.4fa5d42f86bf4de24acb7c6c35b99978.jpg

Ha, my last name is Newton - but I'm not dead... yet...

1 minute ago, binky_bass said:

Ha, my last name is Newton - but I'm not dead... yet...

I love the multiple meanings in McLeod's work, Wake does some heavy lifting in that book, from following on behind to celebrating the life or mourning the death. 

Clever b*gg*r Mr McLeod.

Glad you're still with us.

6 hours ago, miles'tone said:

As a Welsh person I find watching Welsh interviews with the English auto generated captions on utterly hilarious. I've often thought that if I ever need a new band name then that's where I'll find one. Try it! 😄

For example...

Awesome idea. From a quick listen I got: -

Poppy Poppy

Hey Noggin

Methanol Equity

• Thanks 1

One Tamworth band took their name from a headline in the local paper - "Emma Gibbs loves badges". You could also try it with national papers - I'm  sure "Enemies of the People" would fit bands in several genres, for example.

I always wanted to be in a band that called itself 'Weaveworld' (from the novel by ?Clive Barker?) as it sounded proggy with a hint of sci-fi/fantasy. But the band never existed and the groups I was in didn't meet the requirements (usually because they didn't like the name). Then on day we used a dep bassist (I was on guitar at the time) and he was in a band called... Weaveworld. I liked the band I was in and his band was full. 

• Like 1

i started a sort of modern cajun band and racked my head coming up with a name.. in the end came up with...

"SlackJaw Hoboes"  i love that name. its still sort of going..

was in another doing a mix of uptempo songs in a bastardised jazzy way with a girl singer... band name.... ?

"Jazz slags"

oh... and another that never really got off the ground, 5 of the members of a soul band i was in decided to fire ourselfs and left to do a smaller band and mix of stuff ...( or did we just sack the 3 brass players ?)

so we were called     "The Spud gun 5"   🙂

just go with what comes into your head, you can make it witty if wanted. could even make it age related, for ex, how many of you would get "Ernie's turbo milk cart" ?

Edited by funkgod

On 17/08/2022 at 18:50, binky_bass said:

Hi all,

I've started a new project and we've been racking our brains for the last week or so as to a decent band name. Soooooooo many of the names we've thought of (some pretty obscure!) seem to all have been taken. 

How did you pick your band name? Did it just 'come' to you or did you have to properly think about it? 

Any suggestions are also welcome! We're going for an 80s - 90s old skool metal vibe (not covers).

Ta!

old skool vibe

cool metal

rock the 80s

rock the 90s

too cool for skool

pedel to the metal

spandex hair and beer

spandex carrot.  ......................

haha sums up 90s rock bands, you could all even ware...... no, no,  forget it, we dont want to go there again 🙂

Edited by funkgod

For old skool metal, you can't go wrong with mediaeval torture devices. You can't have Iron Maiden, but these may be available!

THE SAW

THE CAGE

THE CRADLE OF JUDAS

THE SPREADING

THE KNEE BREAKER

THE SPANISH DONKEY

ANGEL PEAR

THE FORK OF HERETIC

THE SUPPLICE OF THE RAT

THE SPANISH SPIDER

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

For old skool metal, you can't go wrong with mediaeval torture devices. You can't have Iron Maiden, but these may be available!

THE SAW

THE CAGE

THE CRADLE OF JUDAS

THE SPREADING

THE KNEE BREAKER

THE SPANISH DONKEY

ANGEL PEAR

THE FORK OF HERETIC

THE SUPPLICE OF THE RAT

THE SPANISH SPIDER

Excellent!  Cradle of Judas is particuarly appealing.

20 hours ago, tauzero said:

One Tamworth band took their name from a headline in the local paper - "Emma Gibbs loves badges". You could also try it with national papers - I'm  sure "Enemies of the People" would fit bands in several genres, for example.

Tamworth has a history of oddly named bands, Fetch the Comfy Jigsaw, Those Attractive Magnets and Badger, to name 3 from my time there.

1 hour ago, WinterMute said:

Tamworth has a history of oddly named bands, Fetch the Comfy Jigsaw, Those Attractive Magnets and Badger, to name 3 from my time there.

Fetch Eddie the baby's gone blue was another. BTW, don't know if you knew him but Rikk Quay of Those Attractive Magnets died a year or two ago.

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

Fetch Eddie the baby's gone blue was another. BTW, don't know if you knew him but Rikk Quay of Those Attractive Magnets died a year or two ago.

That's very sad news, yeah I knew him, we played gigs at the Arts Centre together in the early 80's. RIP.