Why become a member? ×

Show us your rig of choice for the weekend ** Basschat edition**

bassace97

First outing for the GK Fusion 550 tonight. I’ve loved my ABM600 and I really didn’t need a new amp, but I’ve gassed for one of these for so long I couldn’t turn it down. All I can say is Jesus H Christ, this thing is just incredible! Wish I’d bought one years ago! 

IMG_1206.jpeg

Edited by ern500evo
  • Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

Played at Newcastle City Hall last night with my regular rig - GK1001RB into GK Neo410.

Got my spare bass out for an airing too - no name P-bass with a Japanese Fender pickup.

Sounds just like it should, but need my Precision Lyte for 2 hour gigs.

IMG_3185.jpeg

• Like 8

On 21/05/2023 at 01:31, ern500evo said:

First outing for the GK Fusion 550 tonight. I’ve loved my ABM600 and I really didn’t need a new amp, but I’ve gassed for one of these for so long I couldn’t turn it down. All I can say is Jesus H Christ, this thing is just incredible! Wish I’d bought one years ago! 

IMG_1206.jpeg

What did you like about it? I have a GK combo and am considering a GK head but not sure what to go with. Not many opportunities to try them out before buying. 

Dear diary, today I received the nicest compliment from a FoH: "We kept you on mute in the front because it was loud enough from the stage". Not a tiny bit angry, rather delighted. AWESOME! 🤘Meanwhile, the guitarist: "Turn up the volume." 🤣 

Huge kudos to Quilter! I had bought an EBS Reidmar 752 especially for this purpose, which can safely deliver 2 ohms. Unfortunately, I had forgotten the most important speaker cable: Speakon to jack. The Reidmar has no combo jack, only Speakon. (A real shame if you ask me!) The Ampegs again only have a jack. This drives me crazy...

Anyway, I got the little Quilter BB800 out of the car, rumored to be capable of 2 ohms, contrary to official claims. The result: it delivered! ❤️🤘

4x Ampeg SVT-210AV with Quilter BB800

Edited by SteveFromBerlin
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, SteveFromBerlin said:

Dear diary, today I received the nicest compliment from a FoH: "We kept you on mute in the front because it was loud enough from the stage". Not a little angry, rather delighted. AWESOME! 🤘Meanwhile, the guitarist: "Turn up the volume." 🤣 

Huge kudos to Quilter! I had bought an EBS Reidmar 752 especially for this purpose, which can safely deliver 2 ohms. Unfortunately, I had forgotten the most important speaker cable: Speakon to jack. The Reidmar has no combo jack, only Speakon. ( A real shame if you ask me!) The Ampegs again only have a jack. This drives me crazy...

Anyway, I got the little Quilter BB800 out of the car, rumored to be capable of 2 ohms, contrary to official claims. The result: it delivered! ❤️🤘

4x Ampeg SVT-210AV with Quilter BB800

They are truly awesome little amps. I love mine. Lives in my carrots bag for life just in case 😊

• Like 1

I must have posted this before, but the surroundings looked so nice, here it is again.  Ampeg PF350 & Barefaced Two10.  Job done.

Gig with a new drummist and a stand-in guitarist.  Kept us all on our toes, I tell thee.

C876A2EC-C74A-4D25-A163-11251BA09802.jpeg

Edited by Pea Turgh
Auto correct doesn’t know Ampeg
  • Like 9

21 hours ago, Minininjarob said:

What did you like about it? I have a GK combo and am considering a GK head but not sure what to go with. Not many opportunities to try them out before buying. 

The gig was at a venue with notoriously bad acoustics, it’s all wooden floor and masses of very large windows. The sound just seems to bounce everywhere. I’ve played there many times and it’s always been a bit of a battle to get the sound right. The GK just sounded wonderful with very little effort. Sat beautifully in the mix, had a nice aggressive tone without being obnoxious. I will say, I had a GK MB Fusion 500 for several years and I loved it, so was quietly confident that this amp would impress me, and I wasn’t wrong. For me personally, the Fusion amps have that trademark GK growl and bite, but the tube front end means it’s easy to tame that down and warm It up if you so wish. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SteveFromBerlin said:

today I received the nicest compliment from a FoH: "We kept you on mute in the front because it was loud enough from the stage". Not a tiny bit angry, rather delighted.

Nice one!

We have a regular FOH engineer with the Hulla band and since I've joined them we've been working to get me a nice sound out front (this band is the first one where I've regularly gone into the desk). He mentioned the other day that my onstage sound (I'm having trouble weaning myself off a TE 1x10" cab and TCE BAM200 amp) forms part of his FOH sound. I was horrified - I'm too loud - but he was happy. 😃

• Like 1

On 04/06/2023 at 10:41, SteveFromBerlin said:

The Reidmar has no combo jack, only Speakon. (A real shame if you ask me!) The Ampegs again only have a jack. This drives me crazy...

Jacks are a real danger on speaker cables. Most jack sockets from good makers like Neutrik, Switchcraft and Cliff generally rate at 5 amps. The SpeakOn/Jack Combo sockets are rated at 10 amps. However, many jacks and sockets are rated 0.5 amps. Also, SpeakOn are virtually bulletproof, whereas a shorted jack lead has broken many an amp.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...