Why become a member? ×

Show us your rig of choice for the weekend ** Basschat edition**

bassace97

On 16/03/2024 at 21:14, casapete said:

This was supposed to be my rig at a gig last night, but unfortunately it developed a fault

during soundcheck that meant me having to use my normal GK set up. Shame, as whilst

it was working it sounded marvellous, and took me back to when I had a great vintage

SVT rig 25 years ago. 

IMG_3680.jpeg

Is that the Butlins rig @casapete? I used it a couple of weekends ago. Sounded ace. 

Edited by bassbiscuits
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bassbiscuits said:

Is that the Butlins rig @casapete? I used it a couple of weekends ago. Sounded ace. 

It is, the Minehead Butlins. Sounded sweet as anything at soundcheck, but then the green light

was showing red intermittently when I wasn’t playing anything, and then started to distort.

I lost my faith in it so used my GK stuff ( which I’ve just posted in the for sale section on here!).

17 minutes ago, casapete said:

It is, the Minehead Butlins. Sounded sweet as anything at soundcheck, but then the green light

was showing red intermittently when I wasn’t playing anything, and then started to distort.

I lost my faith in it so used my GK stuff ( which I’ve just posted in the for sale section on here!).

That’s a bummer. It’s handy having those provided as backline. I tend to bring a spare head in the car in case of stuff like that. 

20 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

That’s a bummer. It’s handy having those provided as backline. I tend to bring a spare head in the car in case of stuff like that. 

My gear was already there so no problem. The gigs we do rarely involve using house backline, so

I was disappointed not to try theirs. Apparently their usual SVT head was away for repair, and 

this one was on loan! Haven’t used an SVT for a long time, but have happy memories of owning

one in the 90’s - still my favourite set up ever. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stevie said:

An awesome rig - even though I say so myself! 😀

Have you changed your amp,Jeff?

Hi Steve, first time I’ve actually used both together last night. It was an Ac/dc tribute and so thought appropriate. No I tend to use the genz (i have a streamliner too) for the rock type gigs but still use my little puma for the phil Collins thing. Did sound bloody great i have to say, very pleased with the monzas mate, thank you for your products.Amaziballs x😊

• Like 2

Ah.  now that is very interesting   2 monzas   well I use a shuttle and a Monza  but I keep putting my Vanderkley under them too , with 

the horn turned down .

So do you have a switch for the bottom horn or does it sound fine with both horns , no phasing probs .

Im in a reggae band so have to use a lot of bass boost - have been absolutely toying with the idea of getting another one 

but not sure I want the height with the horn so near my ears - decisions decisions .

I have come from using 2 vanderkleys - to 1 Vanderkley and a Monza , which sounds superior - but the height is creeping up 

• Like 1

Ah.  now that is very interesting   2 Monacos   well I use a shuttle and a Monza  but I keep putting my Vanderkley under them too , with 

the horn turned down .

So do you have a switch for the bottom horn or does it sound fine with both horns , no phasing probs .

Im in a reggae band so have to use a lot of bass boost - have been absolutely toying with the idea of getting another one 

but not sure I want the height with the horn so near my ears - decisions decisions .

I have come from using 2 vanderkleys - to 1 Vanderkley and a Monza , which sounds superior - but the height is creeping up 

• Like 1

On 27/03/2024 at 12:19, choob.squeemer said:

Ah.  now that is very interesting   2 Monacos   well I use a shuttle and a Monza  but I keep putting my Vanderkley under them too , with 

the horn turned down .

You might suspect there'd be a problem with comb filtering but it's not actually a problem in practice. It's helped to some extent by the vertical positioning of the drivers.

One option to reduce the height of a stacked pair would be to place the bottom cab horizontally on the floor.

The height of a normal Monaco stack is around 1.2 metres - well below head height for the average person. Because the horn is rotatable, you can easily reduce its vertical dispersion by rotating it 90 degrees if you wish. Less sound would then reach your ears from the horn. The horn is directed upwards towards the player on the assumption that the cab will be used on the ground.

• Like 2