Why become a member? ×

Show us your rig of choice for the weekend ** Basschat edition**

bassace97

58 minutes ago, lidl e said:

Wasnt my choice, but i arrived to a small festival we did yesterday and this was the bass amp.

Worked fine. Sounded fine. Looked ancient.

20240519_173738.thumb.jpg.7920325d56570a878e7677ecc5c36fe6.jpg

I believe they call it 'character'. 😃

• Like 3

On 10/05/2024 at 00:53, DGBass said:

Not quite a weekend rig but it was the one of choice for a gig last night. New band time and doing some Jazz/blues fusion with a sax player, and as it was just a short two hour gig to a quiet weekday crowd, we played low volume so the punters could still talk when the band was playing. Worked well and I am enjoying the low wattage rig and sitting down while playing these days. Laney R210 200 watt/4 ohm cab and an old mid nineties TE GP7 SM130 amp, in limited edition green leatherette of course. Sounded fab.

IMG_3616.thumb.jpeg.89e1006d8a281fa1c860e42facadd4d6.jpeg

A bit of overhang but even a pedant like me is not offended. Nice rig.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I've been using this for the last few months and loving it. It's a 500w 2x8 4ohm GR Bass cab (wooden one not carbon) paired with my GK MB Fusion 500 (I've taken the sticker off, don't worry!😉)

It's punchy, light and loud enough on it's own and sounds like a bass cab should.

We always take out our 'small pa' now, which has 12" subs and tops and so depending on the venue I can blend a bit in as required and keep backline down.

I have also started using my VT Bass DI by velcroing it to the top of the amp and taking a parallel (clean) feed to the amp - so I can EQ FOH and set my PA /IEM sound separately to the amp. This seems to work well and I've already been able to mitigate a 'bass trap' corner on the amp whilst maintaining bottom end through the PA.

Typically I do a quick soundcheck with the backline muted, get a good sound FOH then unmute and blend in the backline volume - works well.

MiniRig.jpg

Edited by redbandit599
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, redbandit599 said:

I've been using this for the last few months and loving it. It's a 500w 2x8 4ohm GR Bass cab (wooden one not carbon) paired with my GK MB Fusion 500 (I've taken the sticker off, don't worry!😉)

It's punchy, light and loud enough on it's own and sounds like a bass cab should.

We always take out our 'small pa' now, which has 12" subs and tops and so depending on the venue I can blend a bit in as required and keep backline down.

I have also started using my VT Bass DI by velcroing it to the top of the amp and taking a parallel (clean) feed to the amp - so I can EQ FOH and set my PA /IEM sound separately to the PA. This seems to work well and I've already been able to mitigate a 'bass trap' corner on the AMP whilst maintaining bottom end through the PA.

Typically I do a quick soundcheck with the backline muted, get a good sound FOH then unmute and blend in the backline volume - work well.

MiniRig.jpg

I'm intrigued by 2x8" cabs.

How would that cab compare to say a single 12" in your opinion?

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, eude said:

I'm intrigued by 2x8" cabs.

How would that cab compare to say a single 12" in your opinion?

Previous to this I was using one of my Bergantino 1x12s  for smaller gigs - they are the version with ceramic drivers so a bit heavier.

The Bergs are 8ohm and 350w rated. They sound great ( particularly if using two) but I wanted something that could tick over at lower volumes yet still take the full juice from my amp.

I find that the GR208 has ample bottom end and is a bit tighter sounding than the 112. It probably gets louder too when pushed. It has SICA drivers which I believe are well rated.

My Bergs now constitute a 'big rig' but I don't have much need any more really and they haven't come out gigging since I got this. This mini rig fits my needs well and I can drive my amp a bit harder without getting crazy loud.

Edited by redbandit599
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, redbandit599 said:

Previous to this I was using one of my Bergantino 1x12s  for smaller gigs - they are the version with ceramic drivers so a bit heavier.

The Bergs are 8ohm and 350w rated. They sound great ( particularly if using two) but I wanted something that could tick over at lower volumes yet still take the full juice from my amp.

I find that the GR208 has ample bottom end and is a bit tighter sounding than the 112. It probably gets louder too when pushed. It has SECA drivers which I believe are well rated.

My Bergs now constitute a 'big rig' but I don't have much need any more really and they haven't come out gigging since I got this. This mini rig fits my needs well and I can drive my amp a bit harder without getting crazy loud.

That's brilliant, thank you for the info!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eude said:

That's brilliant, thank you for the info!

If you do go down this route I found this particular cab opened up nicely after a couple of loud rehearsals, think the drivers need a little playing in so if you were to try one then make sure you can do so when you've a chance to push it a bit. Should have mentioned that I used to tilt the 112 with a wedge to hear it well, but the 208 seems OK without. Still love my Bergs thundering away on full chat, but the reality is that's just not what the gigs I do require (largish pubs, occasional parties and small festivals) and always with full PA and with everything mic'd. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, redbandit599 said:

It has SICA drivers which I believe are well rated.

Ashdown use custom Sica drivers so they are perfectly fine. although perhaps not state of the art as far as drivers are concerned.

I’ve got a run of various summer festivals with two bands over the next few weeks so I’ve been carrying this around.

It’s my smallest Markbass rig (LM3 head, Traveller 1x12 and 2x10 cab) but easy to get on and off stage quickly and to carry across all sorts of terrain between car park and stage (and small enough to stash if there’s good back line provided.)

Also taking my cheap and cheerful Yamaha BB604 basses along for the ride. Sounded perfectly decent on the weekend. 

IMG_4224.jpeg

• Like 3

On 23/05/2024 at 17:11, redbandit599 said:

I have also started using my VT Bass DI by velcroing it to the top of the amp and taking a parallel (clean) feed to the amp - so I can EQ FOH and set my PA /IEM sound separately to the amp. This seems to work well and I've already been able to mitigate a 'bass trap' corner on the amp whilst maintaining bottom end through the PA.

Typically I do a quick soundcheck with the backline muted, get a good sound FOH then unmute and blend in the backline volume - works well.

MiniRig.jpg

Please tell me you have removed the warranty label.

If not, I will have to pay you a visit and do it myself.

Edit: just read your post properly. My ocd is subdued.

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1