Why become a member? ×

Misheard lyrics: whats yours? :)

When I started playing in my first covers band, the rhythm guitarist and I shared a mic for BVs. During 'I Saw Her Standing There' we'd back up the lines 'I never danced with another' and 'I held her hand in mine'. I realised early on that he was actually singing 'I never danced with her mother' and 'I held her gland in mine'. He passed away a few years ago and I always sing his version of those two lines, with a big grin on my face just like he had on his. 😃

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, JJTee said:

As a kid, I had no idea that Bill Wither’s was singing ‘Lovely Day’ over and over in the chorus. I thought it was “Dur-diddy”. 

And in Golden Brown I thought “Through my mind she runs” was actually a mysterious phrase “Through my mansheeran’s”.

I thought something similar - "with my manchirons". No idea what a manchiron is.

On 02/06/2022 at 19:02, MacDaddy said:

The Hail Mary.

Blessed art thou among swimming.

For some reason I never questioned this. That's the problem learning religion by rote.

Malachy McCourt (brother of Frank of "Angela's Ashes" fame) wrote a book called "A Monk Swimming", based on the same mondegreen.

4 hours ago, miles'tone said:

I always thought it was Ronnie Wood 🤦

RHCP - I've always heard it as "ooh ahh, kiss you in the moocha" 😆

Knowing Kiedis' history it sounded plausible!

I'm pretty sure if you listen carefully you'll hear that it's "ooh, ah, kiss you in the military".

Although to make it fit he has to sing it as mil'tree. 

When I first heard Peaches by The Stranglers as a young teen, I was at odds to know what the "kootaris" was that she was trying to get out off.. 😆

I love changing words as I sing, generally to something quite childish and unnecessary but it makes me chuckle.

When listening to Paul Simon's brilliant 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover, instead of what he was actually singing...

Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

I always thought he was singing...

Just drop off the quay, Lee
And get yourself free

...which I always thought was a bit of a drastic and rather permanent way out of a relationship.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Marky L said:

When I first heard Peaches by The Stranglers as a young teen, I was at odds to know what the "kootaris" was that she was trying to get out off.. 😆

In the radio play version she’s trying to get out of her bikini. 😉

• Like 1

At Sunday school I used to think “I am the Lord of the dance, said he” was “l am the Lord of the dance settee”.   I wasn’t sure that they made settees for the sole purpose of dancing, but it seemed like a good excuse to dance on our furniture at home.

• Haha 3

On 02/11/2022 at 14:32, Ralf1e said:

Because I have ear issues I always though Lady Ga Ga was singing Cherry Pie Cherry Pie instead of Can't read my Can't read my on Poker face.

Speaking of pies. I remember thinking that james hetfield says ‘…dreams of dragon’s fire and a baked apple pie’. Poor guys must be hungry!

Listen at 02.12...

Another one for the police. In ‘message in a bottle’, I remember thinking he said ‘A year has passed since I broke my nose’. Sounds like the lads had been fighting again!

Judge for yourself at 01.01...

Edited by Greg.Bassman
  • Like 2

…….my family seem to have a particular talent for this.  I’d forgotten about my wife’s.  

The lyric to “Sugar” by “Marron 5”  is “When I'm without you I’m something weak.”

My wife thinks it is “When I’m without you I’m soaked in wee.”

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ralf1e said:

Desmond and the aces. So what was it realy I never knew

I thought it was 'wake up in the morning baked beans for breakfast.  Sold out to every moth and beef-head.  Ooooh oh, my ears are alight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2