Why become a member? ×

Misheard lyrics: whats yours? :)

I think about it every time I see this thread so I better get done with it.

It wasn't me, truly, though being an empathetic little b* I felt all the shame at the time and tried to help make it go away. 

We were thirteen and had been taught English for three years so some slack should have been given and my classmate was also somewhat dyslexic but that was really not a thing then I guess, but further slack was due.

Anyhow at the time though no slack was given, and I thought "Oh no!" as the performance started.

He was dancing in the middle of the street strutting his stuff in his holed and somewhat dirty jeans, pointing at them and singing:

Dirty jeans

Dum(b) dum(b) cheese

I still feel helpless thinking about it haha. 

I didn't know what done dirt cheap really meant at the time either, not even sure if I knew what dirty deeds meant either. Don't think any of the onlookers did either but even the thickest of them knew there was no dumb cheese involved.

So that went on for a little while.

*(For the caring ones amongst you I should add that I am no longer projecting shame). 

Edited by HornetPinata
That actually felt good. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

During the bridge of Dr Hook’s ‘When You’re in Love with a Beautiful Woman’,  as a nipper I thought it was:

”Maybe it’s just an eagle problem…’.

In fairness, I don’t think I knew ‘ego’ was a word back then…

Edited by JJTee

• 2 weeks later...

'City lights lay out before us
And your arm felt nice wrapped around my shoulder'

Tracy Chapmans 'Fast Car'.I always thought she was singing " and your arms and legs wrapped round my shoulders".I wondered,what were they actually trying to do at that point?

Mott the Hoople - All the young dudes. Ever since it came out, I've thought the first line was "Gonna write on home about a suicide". No, it's "Well, Billy rapped all night about his suicide".

On a job in the 80's a dispute started when 5 Star came on the radio as to whether the song was called Systematic or System Addict. No internet to look it up obviously and it didn't help when the presenter said the title at the end as it sounded like both - I just had to google to check actually!

Another one just remembered. In Hi Ho Silver Lining, I heard "Flies are in your pea soup baby, they're waving at me" as "Flattering your features baby, then way beneath", which makes at least as much sense as the original.

On 12/01/2024 at 21:30, tauzero said:

Another one just remembered. In Hi Ho Silver Lining, I heard "Flies are in your pea soup baby, they're waving at me" as "Flattering your features baby, then way beneath", which makes at least as much sense as the original.

LOL I always sang "Flies are in your beach suit baby,they're looking at me"

On 30/05/2023 at 18:57, Guest said:

When I first heard this on the radio I thought the chorus was “How’s about a date?”

Did nobody else hear “Ars* About Face”? One of my dad’s catchphrases so maybe just me, then.

Paul Simon in Gracelands sings:

"She comes back to tell me she's gone
As if I didn't know that
As if I didn't know my own bed
As if I'd never noticed

The way she brushed her hair from her forehead"

I hear the last line as:

"The way she brushed her hair and farted"

Check for yourselves.

• 2 months later...

Talking Heads "Burning down the House"

Watch out, you might get ... Heard as Pork Chop, you might get....

REM "The One I Love"

This one goes out to the one eyed dog....

Andy Gibb

I just want to be your hairy thing....

"I don't like Mondays" by the "Boomtown Rats":

“The silicon chips in cider head” rather than the actual lyric “…….inside her head”

I've no idea what a cider head is.  Maybe it's something a scarecrow on a scrumpy farm has.  Worzel Gummidge had different types of head, maybe he had a Cider Head  

Edited by Simon C

For decades I thought that in "Bat out of Hell", Meatloaf sang "So we gotta make the most of our one night together, When it's over you know we'll both be strolling on". For those that didn't know (and that was me until a few weeks ago), it's "both be so alone".