Why become a member? ×

Do We Need a Short Scale Bass Sub-forum in the Basses For Sale Forum?

Obrienp

Do We Need A Short Scale Sub-Forum in Basses for Sale Forum?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Would you use a Short Scale Basses sub-forum in the Basses for Sale forum?

• I would advertise there within the next 6 months
    • I would definitely browse a short scale forum
    • I don’t need a short scale sub-forum

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/04/22 at 09:57

Would it be worth the effort and additional administration involved to create, and maintain a Short Scale Basses sub-forum in the Basses for Sale forum?  The sub-forum would cover short and medium scale basses for sale, in the same way that there is a sub-forum to cater for lefthanded basses. It would make it easier for sellers to address the specific short scale market and buyers would not have to wade through pages of listings to pick out the shorties.

Obviously, it would involve extra effort to create the sub-forum and then administer it for the Admins and Mods who are all volunteers. Therefore, we need to gauge whether the sub-forum would be used enough to warrant that effort. Please would you complete the poll to help us quentify interest. It is multiple choice but there are only three responses, so it will take an instant to complete. I hope it is self-explanatory but for the sake of clarity: if you select response 3, you shouldn’t also have selected responses 1 and/or 2.

Personally I can't see there's any need. 

If you do then where do you stop? 

Are short scales any more different and popular than say, five strings? 

If not then do we end up with separate four, five, six, eight and twelve string sections, short scale, long scale, medium scale, traditional style, modern style, active, passive, painted, natural wood, fancy 'coffee table' wood, blah blah blah? 

Where do you draw the line? 

• Like 7

Agreed.  Separate Lefty section I can understand, I can imagine being a lefty is a pain and it's not like one chooses ones handedness.  Beyond that one binary choice which is fairly easy to make I'd have to vote no.  Besides, most manufacturers make lefties feel like lepers already, so shoving them off into their own little sub forum shouldn't feel like too much of an imposition ;)

Making more subfora would quickly become messy and increase the possibility of misposts, increase the amount of moderation/adminstration required.  If you want a better marketplace with the granularity which could quickly develop then it would need to be an actual marketplace, using items with attributes which can be searched against/filtered.  Trying to replicate this with simple subfora is like trying to build a house with a fork, knife and spoon.

Edited by neepheid

I agree with Maude and think you run the risk of going down a very granular route with separate forums. 

However, some filters in a search option would be nice. You could set them up by left/right hand, brand, strings, scale, price, colour, pup type etc and that'd make searching for a specific feature a lot easier.

I'm sure there are drawbacks like whether or not people will use the filters when creating a listing (we're all bass nerds, so probably would?), the question of what you do with unsold listings that were created before the filters were available and website functionality/upkeep etc, but I reckon that might be a nice option

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Maude said:

If not then do we end up with separate four, five, six, eight and twelve string sections, short scale, long scale, medium scale, traditional style, modern style, active, passive, painted, natural wood, fancy 'coffee table' wood, blah blah blah? 

The line should be after the Mojo levels sub-sections, graded from one to five: one for some mojo and five reserved for those being anointed with sacred lemon oil on the day of the Feast of the Sacred Tonewood by the ghost of St. Leo.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Maude said:

tenor-1.gif

Given four string short scales are obviously the best, there should be a 'basses for sale' section and another for 'anything other than four string short scales'.

What would be handy is being able to sort sales by location. I like to know what's available within a car ride of home.

• Haha 3

Talkbass forum is superior in this regard. Basses get listed by the number of strings AND left/right handedness. But no scale length.

I guess sellers are mostly happy to put it in the title and buyers with eyes spot them and buy them.

I find the weird BC bumping display system far more egregious. Put it back to the top every two days, but don't mark it as UNREAD!!!!

So just short scale? So is that anything less than 34, or do we need a medium scale, and is that 32? so I guess that a short is going to be 30. how about 31, is that medium or short? I have a 27" bass, is that short or super short? Now we can have rics, so they are less than 34" so I guess they are medium scale? I have a 33" bass as well, so is that medium or long. How about a dingwall, they go to 37 so must be super long, but wait, they are a multiscale so they also go to 34, so I guess they are long. But then my EhB goes from 34 - 32, is that medium or long, or is it a medium multiscale, but then there is a short EhB, goes to 30, so is that short, or is it medium or is that a short multiscale? Or do we need another few categroies for multiscale scale?

Or maybe we could have a slider, with the minimum and maximum permitted scales of any string?

• Like 1

I think its a great idea. Trying to find info or sales concerning short scale is a chore. If I want info on short scale I have to use the dedicated site but obviously that is only one source. I only play short scale so obviously I am biased. Seems like a lot of frothing about this topic, surely if you aren't interested in short scale it wont impact you one bit.

Edited by mikel
Adition
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mikel said:

I think its a great idea. Trying to find info or sales concerning short scale is a chore. If I want info on short scale I have to use the dedicated site but obviously that is only one source. I only play short scale so obviously I am biased. Seems like a lot of frothing about this topic, surely if you aren't interested in short scale it wont impact you one bit.

"Frothing"? Charming. Unless in this context it means "people not saying what I want to hear".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikel said:

Seems like a lot of frothing about this topic, surely if you aren't interested in short scale it wont impact you one bit.

With all due respect, that's easy to say when you don't have to a.) set it up, b.) mod it or c.) admin it. We already get enough things posted for sale in the wrong sections as it is.

• Like 5