Why become a member? ×

No Bass respect..

Mickyk

10 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

Beg to differ...

DSpT0JtX0AEwmWR.jpg

Though I was in my early teens when punk kicked off, the feeling on the ground was that The Stranglers were little more than an (old) pub rock band that got lucky.  They were more than twice our age.

In a school of 1,500 kids, you fell into one of two or perhaps three (Premier League) factions; Sex Pistols, The Clash or The Jam.  That was broadly it.  Then a group of us discovered The Shapes (very much a League 2 side).

• Like 1

[Random memory]  I was studying* at Chelsea College in 1976 and kind of in the middle of the whole birth of punk.  At the time I didn't care for it but an older me does.  I saw the Clash at Imperial College (I think late 76 but maybe early 77 - no way to ground it) and Strummer pronounced early on in the set that 'all students were fascist pigs with rich Daddies' and it didn't go so well after that.  Simonon took his bass off and was wielding it like a club.  A bunch of the 'fascist pigs' that were part of the Imperial College rugby squad explained their point of view afterwards, so I understand. [/random memory]

*studying is perhaps not the best word as i didn't do a great deal of studying, really.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

Yes he is. 

I'd say he was the best punk bassist of the time. 

Hmm.. now I recall reading somewhere (and I need to try and find it again) that a certain Mr Watt-Roy laid down a few of the more tasty recorded bass lines for The Clash on maybe their first and second albums.

To my mind punk was, and still is, divided into those that just made a noise and were in if for the shock value/money, and those that were genuinely good musicians. I'll let you decide who goes where on that one but it's probably apparent who goes into what camp there.

There was a small sect, more post-punk, that tried to be the latter but weren't good enough musically to pull it off. The Undertones, perhaps?

11 minutes ago, Marky L said:

Hmm.. now I recall reading somewhere (and I need to try and find it again) that a certain Mr Watt-Roy laid down a few of the more tasty recorded bass lines for The Clash on maybe their first and second albums.

He played on The Magnificent Seven off Sandinista…

• Like 3

I hated punk when it first came out. I was a rocker and no mistake and to me it was guys who were not so good on their instruments trying to make songs. Obviously as I got older my attitude changed and I realised that there were so many great punk bands out there who could in fact play their instruments and could write great songs. As is the case with many songs from my youth that I disliked at the time I find myself hearing now and going that's a great song, I remember it well. The likes of the Clash, I had no idea about their albums but when I hear their old songs I love them. Guns of Brixton? Class.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ubit said:

I hated punk when it first came out. I was a rocker and no mistake and to me it was guys who were not so good on their instruments trying to make songs. Obviously as I got older my attitude changed and I realised that there were so many great punk bands out there who could in fact play their instruments and could write great songs. As is the case with many songs from my youth that I disliked at the time I find myself hearing now and going that's a great song, I remember it well. The likes of the Clash, I had no idea about their albums but when I hear their old songs I love them. Guns of Brixton? Class.

Yes, I was one of those 'rock dinosaurs' too :) - really didn't like punk at the time, couldn't rationalise it as a 'proper' thing.  Now I totally see the value of it and enjoy listening to lots.  It's like music needs a sharp kick in the sweetmeats every now and then - Hendrix, Punk, Grunge.  Spice Girls.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Although Simenon was good imo Glen Matlock of The Sex Pistols was by far a better bassist, his lines on the early recordings show great ability.

You can really hear what a fine job Matlock was doing on some of those early live bootlegs like 'Live at the 76 Club, Burton on Trent'. JJ is one hell of a player, too.

Simonon just picked it up, ran with it and did his own thing, no doubt inspired in part by his love of reggae. Punk, eh? Nowt wrong with the DIY ethic. It worked out pretty good in the long run for many in that movement.

Edited by upside downer
spelling boo-boo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

The greatest ever punk bassist was Matt Freeman but he didn't come along until the late 80s with Operation Ivy

A guy I was in a band with was in Operation Ivy for a bit, til he came over here.

Sensing a possible pattern we were always asking him to leave so that we could become famous too........

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Lozz196 said:

A guy I was in a band with was in Operation Ivy for a bit, til he came over here.

Sensing a possible pattern we were always asking him to leave so that we could become famous too........

Why would you leave Operation Ivy? All the members of that band were brilliant musicians. Maybe they weren't nice people. 

Just on the subject of Glen Matlock, let's not forget he is largely absent from NMTB (Steve Jones handled bass duties), so it's probably better to listen to the Sp*nk bootleg than what qualified as the official release.

Throwing something else into the mix here, to this day (well last Friday, actually) I will continue to point people into Glen's first post-Pistols project (the) Rich Kids.  Some 44 years (forty four years!) after the release of Ghosts Of Princes In Towers, this album continues to be in my top five albums.  It may actually be my favourite album of all time.

25 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Just on the subject of Glen Matlock, let's not forget he is largely absent from NMTB (Steve Jones handled bass duties), so it's probably better to listen to the Sp*nk bootleg than what qualified as the official release.

Throwing something else into the mix here, to this day (well last Friday, actually) I will continue to point people into Glen's first post-Pistols project (the) Rich Kids.  Some 44 years (forty four years!) after the release of Ghosts Of Princes In Towers, this album continues to be in my top five albums.  It may actually be my favourite album of all time.

Def, on Sp*nk the fluid inventive basslines really changed the songs. It may be because NMTB is how I got to know them so they are my fave versions, but it is nice to hear the earlier stuff with Glens playing.

17 hours ago, Mickyk said:

That the one buddy,his quote was...

"I'd chucked my basses around before and didn't have any respect for them in the first place. The moment I got a new bass I'd get a hammer and start bashing it around." - Paul Simonon.

i saw the clash back in Derby(Kings Hall) in 1978 , i stood about 20 feet away from Paul,and everyone thought ,whats going on with Pauls bass it looks totally wrecked,and remember this was before Road Worn came into fashion,having delved into Pauls early bass exploits ,i now understand why.The lad was a great Player though,even if he had no respects for his instruments.

If he wanted a beaten up and neglected bass, why did he keep buying new ones then????

1 hour ago, Paul S said:

Yes, I was one of those 'rock dinosaurs' too :) - really didn't like punk at the time, couldn't rationalise it as a 'proper' thing.  Now I totally see the value of it and enjoy listening to lots.  It's like music needs a sharp kick in the sweetmeats every now and then - Hendrix, Punk, Grunge.  Spice Girls.

Same here. Some Punk was great but most of it rubbish imo. Post Punk was more my thing. XTC, Clash, Talking Heads etc. Better songs, clever lyrics and more music

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Def, on Sp*nk the fluid inventive basslines really changed the songs. It may be because NMTB is how I got to know them so they are my fave versions, but it is nice to hear the earlier stuff with Glens playing.

The BVs from Glen were more melodic too, based on the clips I've heard.

But then didn't McClaren claim that Glen was sacked for liking the Beatles?