Why become a member? ×

Many heros in one place

Piers_Williamson

It's canny, I like it. But  - as it's Basschat - I'm going to nit-pick.

The "Don't it make you feel bad / When you're tryin' to find your way home / You don't know which way to go?" verse was always the money shot on the original. But on this, it's... anticlimatctic.

Consider that nit picked.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, TimR said:

All those singers, guitarists, harps and drummers.

Just the one bass...

He’s lucky he got on camera at all given the usual interest in the bass player 😄

Wasn’t keen on it at all though

50 minutes ago, scalpy said:

I’m a sucker for anything with Derek and Susan, plus it’s one of my favourite zep tracks so 👍 from me. Just wish someone in my band could play harp like that. 

They really are quite the talented couple. DT’s slide playing is always amazing and ST is no slouch either, plus the voice.

On the whole, I quite liked the recreation, but I missed the massive drum sound. Should’ve got Jason B to do it.

4 hours ago, ezbass said:

They really are quite the talented couple. DT’s slide playing is always amazing and ST is no slouch either, plus the voice.

On the whole, I quite liked the recreation, but I missed the massive drum sound. Should’ve got Jason B to do it.

Massive fan of TTB, got tickets for the palladium later in the year, looking forward to it already.

Edited by scalpy
Missing word
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

I prefer this, the original, standing at a pithy 3.14 mins. IMO the LZ version goes on way too long without ever going anywhere, clocking in over 7 mins

How dare you suggest Jimmy Page didn’t write it? Don’t you know he wrote everything? 😂

Seriously, I much prefer the Zep version, even with Plant’s voice, which I’m not really a fan of. The Zep version is hypnotic, and I love hypnotic. 

3 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

I prefer this, the original, standing at a pithy 3.14 mins. IMO the LZ version goes on way too long without ever going anywhere, clocking in over 7 mins.

As an aside, I'm not sure how 'original' the original is. The words, aye, but apart from that iIt's a pretty standard country blues.

When people (not you, granted) have a go at Page / Plant pinching from old blues legends, it tends to be conveniently overlooked that said blues legend probably nicked the song from someone else.

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Like 1

On 19/02/2022 at 13:29, Bassfinger said:

Never met JPJ but im guessing he's  a regular sized guy who just happens to play enourmous basses?

He's quite small. I saw him live with Them Crooked Vultures. Josh Homme makes most people look short so I didn't think he was short until the end of the Show Dave Grohl stood next to JPJ and he's definitely short. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

As an aside, I'm not sure how 'original' the original is. The words, aye, but apart from that iIt's a pretty standard country blues.

When people (not you, granted) have a go at Page / Plant pinching from old blues legends, it tends to be conveniently overlooked that said blues legend probably nicked the song from someone else.

It’s not just blues though, is it? They have quite a lot of form. 

To be fair, the Court ultimately ruled in LZ's favour on appeal for Stairway, making it twice they had won in front of a judge.

To be double fair, they never made any big secret about the sources of their of trad and blues inspiration and would happily discuss it if asked in interviews. They weren't deceiving anyone.

And they pretty much shut all the detractors up with IV.

Edited by Bassfinger
Caught Jimmy Page going through my bins